Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Re: Autism. A most misunderstood illness of children
10/22/2005 2:40:57 AM
Hello Mary At this point in time I am not sure where your interest in this topic of Autism lies but that's ok. I am going to post what information I can find in the hope of increasing awareness and understanding about this disorder. I hope that you will find this information to be of interest. Sincerly, Bill Vanderbilt Times Argus Rutland Herald Google Search Articles | Advanced Search >> Search Business Directory Arts Local filmmakers explore problems of autism treatment October 21, 2005 By Jim Lowe Times Argus Staff Living the Autism Maze Cheap Cinema Productions presents "Living the Autism Maze," a film by Anne Barbano and Jeff Farber, Saturday at 11:30 a.m., at the Savoy Theater, 26 Main St. in Montpelier. Admission is $5 (half benefits AAWARE); call 229-0509, or go online to www.savoytheater.com. The film is available, $24.95 for DVD, $19.95 for VHS, at www.livingtheautismmaze.com. Autism is a big problem – and apparently there is no consensus on what to do about it. Nicholas Barbano-Gage was diagnosed with the disease at the age of 9. His loving parents looked for guidance about what to do – but found very few, if any, answers. This is apparently a problem common to parents of autistic children. But Nicholas' mother did something. A Burlington filmmaker, Anne Barbano, created a film with Middlesex filmmaker Jeff Farber chronicling the family's experience as well as that of five others, plus commentary by various Vermont experts. "Living the Autism Maze," which premiered in Burlington earlier this year, will be screened Saturday at 11:30 a.m., at the Savoy Theater in Montpelier. According to the film, 1 in 166 children suffers from autism. Although the disease is never clearly defined, the symptoms – problems with social relationships, with communicating and with sensory signals – usually manifest themselves by the age of 3. Unfortunately, as the film chronicles, the medical profes-sion's response has been anything but consistent. Some of the parents even felt that the medical advice they received contributed to the problem. The parents in these six families were largely expected to create their own programs after sifting through the "maze" of information. The circumstances of the children in this film vary widely, but they all have one thing in common – very dedicated parents. What isn't discussed is the possibility of uncaring or disenfranchised parents dropping their children into the "system." Discussions within the 40-minute documentary on autism vary on issues from its cause – an unfortunate reaction to a vaccine? — to treatment — medication or behavioral medication – to prognosis – a real life or an institutionalized one. The film has no easy answers, but it does offer hope, both through enlightened professionals and the heroism of these families. "Living the Autism Maze" is a well-done purveyor of important information, simple and well-filmed. It's not ground-breaking, but it is effective – and interesting.
May a smile follow you to sleep each night and,,,,,be there waiting,,,,,when you awaken http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/8212/ShowForum.aspx Sincerely, Billdaddy
+0
10/22/2005 2:46:11 AM
Hello Mary At this point in time I am not sure where your interest in this topic of Autism lies but that's ok. I am going to post what information I can find in the hope of increasing awareness and understanding about this disorder. I hope that you will find this information to be of interest. Sincerly, Bill Vanderbilt Times Argus Rutland Herald Google Search Articles | Advanced Search >> Search Business Directory Arts Local filmmakers explore problems of autism treatment October 21, 2005 By Jim Lowe Times Argus Staff Living the Autism Maze Cheap Cinema Productions presents "Living the Autism Maze," a film by Anne Barbano and Jeff Farber, Saturday at 11:30 a.m., at the Savoy Theater, 26 Main St. in Montpelier. Admission is $5 (half benefits AAWARE); call 229-0509, or go online to www.savoytheater.com. The film is available, $24.95 for DVD, $19.95 for VHS, at www.livingtheautismmaze.com. Autism is a big problem – and apparently there is no consensus on what to do about it. Nicholas Barbano-Gage was diagnosed with the disease at the age of 9. His loving parents looked for guidance about what to do – but found very few, if any, answers. This is apparently a problem common to parents of autistic children. But Nicholas' mother did something. A Burlington filmmaker, Anne Barbano, created a film with Middlesex filmmaker Jeff Farber chronicling the family's experience as well as that of five others, plus commentary by various Vermont experts. "Living the Autism Maze," which premiered in Burlington earlier this year, will be screened Saturday at 11:30 a.m., at the Savoy Theater in Montpelier. According to the film, 1 in 166 children suffers from autism. Although the disease is never clearly defined, the symptoms – problems with social relationships, with communicating and with sensory signals – usually manifest themselves by the age of 3. Unfortunately, as the film chronicles, the medical profes-sion's response has been anything but consistent. Some of the parents even felt that the medical advice they received contributed to the problem. The parents in these six families were largely expected to create their own programs after sifting through the "maze" of information. The circumstances of the children in this film vary widely, but they all have one thing in common – very dedicated parents. What isn't discussed is the possibility of uncaring or disenfranchised parents dropping their children into the "system." Discussions within the 40-minute documentary on autism vary on issues from its cause – an unfortunate reaction to a vaccine? — to treatment — medication or behavioral medication – to prognosis – a real life or an institutionalized one. The film has no easy answers, but it does offer hope, both through enlightened professionals and the heroism of these families. "Living the Autism Maze" is a well-done purveyor of important information, simple and well-filmed. It's not ground-breaking, but it is effective – and interesting. Here are my other links. Allbut one is about mental illness. I hope you will visit these forums and help us spread the message of hope to those with a mental illness and their families http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=7420 http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=8212 America's Secret. Mental Illness http://community.adlan http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=7361 http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=8259 Better Universe. The people helping people co. http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=8046
May a smile follow you to sleep each night and,,,,,be there waiting,,,,,when you awaken http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/8212/ShowForum.aspx Sincerely, Billdaddy
+0
Julia Youngblood

113 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
10/23/2005 2:55:58 PM
Hi Guys! No, this is not something that I am at all familiar with...interesting the links they find between such things, however. Like I read a forum on a possible link between artificial sweetners and MS. The one they use in diet coke...my memory evades me what the name of it is...oh my this world gets more complicated and the things we have to continually unlearn! Julia
"To see the earth as it truly is, small and blue and beautiful in that eternal silence where it floats, is to see ourselves as riders on the earth together, brothers and sisters on that bright loveliness in the eternal."
+0
10/23/2005 4:00:20 PM
Hello Julia You are so right about this being a complicated world. One thing that I have learned from the research that I do is that we can never expect to hear the truth about the dangers of certain producys from those who manufacture the products. Corporate America seems to allways put profit ahead of principle. A perfect example is the tobacco companies. Now we are finding out that not only did they know that nicotine was terribly addictive but that the addiction was actually part of their marketing design. Get people addicted to their product and they will always come back for more even if it's killing them. I guess it all comes down to personal choice. It's like rolling the dice. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. One reason I believe so strongly in these forums is that by sharring our personal experience with each other we all gain the advantage of a collective knowledge that isn't available to others. Life is a continuous learning process and I believe the more we learn, the better our life will be. The more we share the better the world will be. And that's the name of that tune LOL Sincerly Bill
+0
10/30/2005 11:47:14 AM
Hello Julia and Friends Here is some research being done on Autiism that 9iiiiiiinnnnnndicates something that I have never heard before. A link between Autism and the use of anti-biotic medications. Definately something to pay attention to. Author Of Autism Paper Linking Augmentin Use To Increased Incidence Of Autism Welcomes Overwhelming Response From Parents Whose Children Experienced Regressive Autism The author of the seminal paper: Could one of the most widely prescribed antibiotics amoxicillin/clavulanate “AUGMENTIN” be a risk factor for autism? published in Medical Hypotheses January 2005 (64, 312-315) has received thousands of emails, letters and phone calls from parents of children who experienced regressive autism following one or more dosages of Augmentin (amoxicillin/clavulanate). (PRWEB) October 29, 2005 -- The author of the seminal paper: Could one of the most widely prescribed antibiotics amoxicillin/clavulanate “AUGMENTIN” be a risk factor for autism? published in Medical Hypotheses January 2005 (64, 312-315) has received thousands of emails, letters and phone calls from parents of children who experienced regressive autism following one or more dosages of Augmentin (amoxicillin/clavulanate). Dr. Joan Fallon reports in an interview conducted recently that since the publication of her paper she has received more than 2300 unsolicited emails, letters or phone calls from parents whose children they felt had experienced regressive autism as a result of taking the antibiotic augmentin (amoxicillin/clavulanate). “When the paper was published, I never dreamt that the level of response would be so great,” states Fallon. “I thought for sure there was a linkage, and indeed the subject needs to be further examined, and research needs to be done in this area,” according to Fallon. In her paper, the author proposed a mechanism whereby children who received the antibiotic may develop autism as a result of the urea/ammonia toxicity in the gastrointestinal tract. She further links the introduction of augmentin in the early 1980’s for the use in children with otitis media, and the large numbers of children who have autism with protracted ear infections. “It is imperative that further research be undertaken to determine if a subset of children are at risk for neurotoxicity due to the use of clavulanic acid in pharmaceutical preparations,” the paper states in it’s conclusion. “Looking into the potential multifactorial etiologies surrounding autism is an important next step in discovering a potential cure for autism,” said Fallon For further information please contact Ricardo Felto of LFH Media.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!