Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Re: Hope. The Early Stage Of Healing
10/5/2006 8:12:24 PM

Hello Friends

Here is another example of what happens when someone with a serious mental illness doesn't receive proper care and treatment. We need answers to our questions about our system of mental health care. The answer isn't " wait till they get a little worse". The answer isn't " just snap out of it". And, as in the case of the family in the following article, the answer isn't  " Oh well. We'll just have to call the police again." Another mistake. Another bad choice. Another human being DEAD.

Concord

Family sought mental help
Laws make it difficult to commit someone

October 03. 2006 8:00AM

Picture

Gauntt

R
elatives of Clyde "Bruce" Gauntt, the man fatally shot by a Concord police officer Friday night, say they tried unsuccessfully for years to get him mental health services.

Family members said they were so frustrated, both by Gauntt's behavior and their inability to get him psychiatric treatment, that they sought a no-trespass order against him last week and called the police when they believed he was violating the order Friday.

Gauntt died of two bullet wounds after he broke into his mother's Portsmouth Street house and threatened a police officer with a knife, authorities say.

In interviews, several family members said that over the years, they brought Gauntt to the Concord Hospital emergency room, a local branch of the National Alliance for Mental Illness and Riverbend Community Mental Health in Concord. This May, according to Gauntt's sister Kelly, family members tried to have Gauntt admitted to the New Hampshire Hospital, the state's residential psychiatric hospital, but they were told that he didn't meet the standards for commitment.

"Maybe these professionals need to take another look at what does meet criteria," Kelly Gauntt said.

Many familiar with New Hampshire's laws governing involuntary psychiatric care said that the Gauntts's frustrations are familiar, but the solutions are not obvious. State law makes it difficult to hospitalize someone against his or her will because of provisions designed to protect patients' civil rights. Many advocates say those considerations are important, but they acknowledge that many sick people fall between the cracks and that some end up in jail.

In order for a mental health worker to admit an unwilling patient into a psychiatric ward, there must be a serious likelihood that the patient will harm himself or someone else. The health worker also needs to find that that risk is the result of mental illness alone and not alcohol or drugs. In order to hold a patient for more than three days, that professional must convince a judge of their determination.

Lengthier commitments must be approved by a probate judge at a different hearing.

"If the person is not wanting help, it's very hard to get them to a doctor to get the help that they need," said Jane Bradstreet, the register of probate for Merrimack County, which decides more than 95 percent of the state's civil commitment cases. "It's very difficult for families."

Current laws have evolved from earlier ones that made it much easier to commit people against their will. Many were overturned in the 1960s and 70s after courts ruled that the interests of the patients needed to be protected as much as those of family members. Those decisions made the process of getting a mental health commitment more like a criminal procedure, where the state has to prove wrongdoing before it can lock someone up.

"The laws have changed largely as a result of court decisions that say if you're going to take someone's liberty away, whether for a bad reason, a crime, or for health reasons, certain rights have to be respected," said John MacIntosh, a Concord lawyer who often represents patients during civil commitment hearings. "You have this natural tension between family members and treating professionals wanting to help someone who is in distress . . . and the individual who oftentimes, and I think this is characteristic of people with mental illness, who don't want this intrusion into their life."

In Gauntt's case, the same family members who worked hard to get him psychiatric care also found themselves calling the police when his behavior was out of control. When he was drinking or not taking his psychiatric medications, Gauntt was often threatening and violent, they said. Gauntt's Concord District Court criminal record includes 27 misdemeanor charges. Court records also indicate that Gauntt had at least two felony convictions.

In July, 2004, his sister Mary Lou Voghel called 911 after Gauntt choked her and her mother following an argument.

"Voghel stated that her brother has mental health issues and she was very afraid what Gauntt may do," said a police affidavit written by Concord officer Michael Pearl, who responded to the call.

A motion hearing penned by Gauntt's lawyer, Christine Haydinger, described his illnesses. "Mr. Gauntt has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, depression, panic attacks, and an anxiety disorder," it reads. "Mr. Gauntt has no memory of this incident because he was not taking his medications."

Gauntt was found guilty of two counts of assault, resisting arrest, and violating bail conditions and was sentenced to three months of jail time and probation. His arrest came quickly on the heels of his release from jail on another charge. He was later found guilty of violating his probation.

Just last week, Gauntt's relatives also sought a no-trespass order to keep him from his mother's house, and they called the Concord police when they saw a light on in his mother's empty house Friday afternoon. They believed Gauntt was inside. That call resulted in his death, after he allegedly threatened a police officer with a knife and was shot in the kitchen of the house.

http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061003/REPOSITORY/610030369

May a smile follow you to sleep each night,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
           and be there waiting,,, when you awaken.

Sincerly, Bill Vanderbilt

Mental Health And Political Forums Respectively

The following link will take you to a program that I gave up on once but, I am now involved with again. Simply because a few friends of mine believe so whole heartedly in this program that they actually kept me in it for several months.

May a smile follow you to sleep each night and,,,,,be there waiting,,,,,when you awaken http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/8212/ShowForum.aspx Sincerely, Billdaddy
+0
10/5/2006 9:01:25 PM

Bill,

I know from incidences with my brother they dont make it easy on family members to get them help!

Tracy

+0
Ally Vanderbilt

33 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
10/6/2006 9:17:27 PM

Hi Friends,

I have been in such a tiz over the mental Health systems.  For sometime now I have been tyring so hard to get my daughter help, she has been through major trama in her short life. She is 5, her name is Summer. I too have my own issues, but I am the ytpe of mother I want my baby better first then I will work on me later.  My baby always comes first no matter what. But unfortantly, all of the Mental Health Care providers I have talked to up to this point, have done nothing to help her. One place tells me I need to meet a deductable of 4,000 dollars... where in the hell am I going to come up with that?  Then another place tells me "Well if we fix you, then you can fix your daugher".

I am sorry, but I am so ready to tell people... IF I could fix my daughter do you think I'll be calling you? 

It is so hard for me to get her help that she needs. Thank God that her school has a councler(sp) she is talking to, but I fear one day when Summer really starts to open up, the school will tell me she needs more help. 

I cry a lot, and now as I am writing this I am starting to see why... I cry, because I can not fix my daughter, I cry because I want her better before she gets older and have a bigger mess on my hands that could have been prevented.  I cry because I am feeling like I could do more but I just can't, that is frustrating.

However, I am getting help now and she is too so hopefully in time all we have faced will be nothing more then a nightmare. 

I just want to tell you all reading this...

Bill has been such a wonderful help to Summer and I. When he first started hearing my story he offered me help right away.  And you know how he is online offering resources and mental health hospitals??? That is exactly how he is here at home.  He encouraged me to get help, to get on some meds, to start feeling human instead of a robot.  My point is this.. Bill is a wonderful man, an Angel sent here from The Great Spirit. And trust me, he will never lead you astray.

Bill,

Thank you for all you have done in this community and having the heart to share your stories and your love for others.  Thank you Bill, for not judging us no matter how bad our life can be. You do not judge, you care and love. And that is why I love you...not just because you are my boyfriend lol... but because you have a passion for helping others.  Never stop doing what you are doing Bill.  No matter what people say... in this forum right here...YOU ARE LOVED BY MANY!!!!

Love you,

Ally

+0
10/8/2006 10:43:05 AM
Hello Ally
   Thank you for all the kind words but you know you don't have to ever thank me for anything. I am just very glad that things are finally getting better for you and Summer. Seeing the smiles on your faces every day is all the thanks I need. I thank you and Summer for making my life brighter and happier. Sometimes when you find it difficult to change your situation, you just have to change other things like your location and surroundings. Some people will always bring you down no matter how much you love them or how hard you try to make things work out. I just believe that if happiness doesn't find you, you must find it. It's kind of like looking for food in an empty cupboard. You can look in that cupboard every day for the rest of your life but unless someone puts some food in there, it will always be an empty cupboard. You either have to put something in there or look in a different cupboard where you might find some food. We all know people who are stuck on unhappy. THEY GO THROUGH THEIR LIVES TRYING THE SAME THINGS OVER AND OVER WITH THE SAME PEOPLE AND THEIR LIFE NEVER GETS ANY BETTER. Happiness is right around every corner but if you never venture beyond the middle of the block, you will never find it.
    Thanks for the post Ally and please do come back here again soon OK?.

With All My Love
     Bill

May a smile follow you to sleep each night and,,,,,be there waiting,,,,,when you awaken http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/8212/ShowForum.aspx Sincerely, Billdaddy
+0
10/8/2006 10:54:14 AM
Hello Everybody
    With halloween just around the corner I have once again begun trying to remind people about mental illness not being a good theme for their haunted houses. For someone to use the mentally ill concept for the purpose of scarring people is just wrong. It portrays the wrong image of those with a mental illness and it hurts the feelings of those who suffer and their friends and families. Here is an article that talks about this very topic.

Mental illness is nothing for a 'Haunted House'

To the editor,

We were angered and saddened to see "Haunted House at the Old Insane Asylum" covered in the Murfreesboro Daily News Journal. The "ghosts" in the haunted house are portrayed as psychiatric patients who "get worse" in each successive room.

ADVERTISEMENT 

The haunted house will poke cruel fun at people who struggle with severe, often fatal disease, portraying those who suffer as monsters. In reality, those who suffer from mental illness have a brain disorder similar to any other disease such as heart, kidney, cancer or diabetes.

Although one in five Americans has a mental illness at some point in their lives, very few seek treatment, despite the fact that effective therapy is available. That is because of attitudes like those who thought up this misguided haunted house. People with untreated mental illness are not monsters. They are far more likely to commit suicide, to be impoverished, homeless or in jail for minor crimes such as disorderly conduct. Those who are in treatment are usually indistinguishable from the average person. They are our family, friends, neighbors and leaders in the Rutherford County community.

A mental illness is no joke. It's not funny to get a call at 2:30 a.m. when your loved one is in a crises hanging on to life by a thread. An activity like this will further stigmatize this disorder, discouraging those who need treatment from receiving it.

Bottom line — those of us who advocate for those who suffer from a brain disease are fine with the ghosts and the paranormal portion of this entertainment; however, please remove the mentally ill connotation from this entertainment. Except for the grace of God, any one of us could suffer from this disease at any moment of our lives.

If you were on life support in the Critical Care unit at Middle Tennessee Medical Center, you would not think it is a joke and something to laugh about. This is what is happening to patients in a mental health hospital finding a course of treatment in a battle to recover their minds. Some of us in Rutherford County do not want to demonize mental illness. A serious brain disease needs serious treatment.

For more information and education, call Irene Mockabee, president of NAMI (National Alliance on Mental Illness) of Rutherford County, 948-7828. NAMI meetings and classes are free and open to the public, and are held at the Kingwood Church of Christ on the second Thursday night, 7 p.m. each month.

Maxine King

Eventide Drive

StoryChat Post a CommentPost a Comment

This article does not have any comments associated with it
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!