Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Re: Re :Re: Hope. The Early Stage Of Healing
7/30/2006 9:49:43 PM

Hello Everyone

The following is an article that depicts the ideal situation and attitudes involving mental illness. I wish I could see more of this happening in other communities.

Entire community has role in helping those with mental illness
By Susan Ban
For The Register-Guard
Published: Sunday, July 30, 2006

Consider for a moment how dramatically mental health care has changed over the last century:

• Early 1900s: People with mental illness were considered "lunatics" and sent to asylums.

• Early 1930s: The notorious lobotomy was introduced, and electro-convulsive shock treatment continued as a dominant practice.

• 1950s: Psychotropic medication was introduced. Outpatient clinics began popping up all over the country.

• 1960s: Deinstitutionalization began. Thousands of the mentally ill were released from state hospitals without adequate planning. Sadly, inadequate facilities and systems for their care were the norm.

• 1980s: Supported housing facilities began opening, such as ShelterCare's Hawthorn Program in Eugene, that soon became a national model of independent living with supportive services. These programs offered stable, safe, community-based housing where proper medications and skill-building greatly improved independence and daily living for people with a mental illness.

• 2006: The "recovery model" recognizes that given the proper supports and environment, people can live independently and successfully. This is in contrast to the previously prevailing "chronicity model," which viewed people with mental illness as unable to make any improvements.

What an enlightened and hopeful time this is for people with mental illness, compared to the grim treatments and failed strategies of the past. The knowledge that the mentally ill can and do recover gives hope not only to them but to their families and friends. This knowledge inspires all of us who care about dignity and the human spirit.

In our community, ShelterCare continually seeks new and better ways to help our residents reach new levels of recovery and independence. Over the past year, we've begun incorporating an exciting new approach called the "engagement model" into all our mental health programs. This model has been highly successful in helping individuals recover because they feel supported, respected and in control.

A majority of mental health clients have been exposed to some form of trauma in their lives. If the power and control lie solely in the hands of the care provider - as has been the case when, for many years, people with mental illness have been seen as dangerous and incapable of making good decisions - then coercion can re-traumatize the individual and impede recovery.

The engagement model focuses on developing an environment where clients are respected as capable, responsible individuals who are full partners in their treatment plans.

Because people behave in response to their environment and live up to others' expectations, clients must feel safe and respected before they can engage therapeutically. And as with any illness, unless a person with mental illness determines his or her own path of recovery and decides to make necessary changes, good health can't be maintained.

At ShelterCare we're learning how to more effectively engage our residents in setting personal goals toward recovery. Residents are encouraged to express their needs, desires and aspirations, and to actively partner with staff to determine the best treatment. Residents are assuming more control over their living environment by helping to establish rules. We've seen our residents become more engaged in their treatment, and some have made amazing strides.

While hard work on the part of our residents

http://www.registerguard.com/news/2006/07/30/ed.col.mentalhealth.0730.p1.php?section=opinion

May a smile follow you to sleep each night,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
           and be there waiting,,, when you awaken.

Sincerly, Bill Vanderbilt

Mental Health And Political Forums Respectively

Great New Product And Biz Op. Came to me highly recommended by a very good friend. I am just starting and I will keep you all informed as to progress. It really looks good. Here is my link

May a smile follow you to sleep each night and,,,,,be there waiting,,,,,when you awaken http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/8212/ShowForum.aspx Sincerely, Billdaddy
+0
Re: Hope. The Early Stage Of Healing
8/13/2006 9:44:21 PM
Without hope there is nothing!
+0
8/13/2006 10:11:06 PM

Hello Tracy

Thank You for stopping by and posting. Although your post is short, it says a lot. You are right about hope. Hope is the very essence of life and healing. People who cannot find hope live their lives in sadness and despair. That is the reason why I think it is so important to spread the message of hope to those who are hopeless. Particularly those with mental health issues. My feelings about hope are this. Hope is a gift that one can give to another. Then, once that person gets hope in their lives they can achieve faith. I believe that hope gives people the understanding to realize that anything is possible. Then faith gives them the willingness to try to accomplish what they have hoped for. So, Basically, you can give someone hope but they must realise faith on their own.

So, My Friend, that's what these forums are all about and I am happy to have you visit. Come back soon Tracy, and bring a friend or two if you like.

The biggest little community in the world. The Spotlight Of Friends

The following link will take you to a program that I gave up on once but, I am now convinced that this is a great opportunity. The people involved have been very dedicated to their members and it is getting very close to " PAYDAY ".

May a smile follow you to sleep each night and,,,,,be there waiting,,,,,when you awaken http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/8212/ShowForum.aspx Sincerely, Billdaddy
+0
8/24/2006 12:38:20 AM

Bill,

I finally got a chance to really check out this forum and alot of the posts and what i want to say is..........Please keep up the great work!   If i had only had a resource like this when i was growing up trying to deal with all the mental illness around me things might have been alot better!

People out there need to know that no matter how bad things may seem THERE IS HOPE!  I am living proof of it!

Thanks so much for the incredible information you provide and also just for being you!

May you wake up each morning with a song on your lips, a peace in your heart and a calmness of your soul!

Love, luck and laughter may it follow you always!

Tracy Lewis

+0
8/25/2006 2:13:17 AM

Hello Tracy

Thank You so much for the kind words. It really does mean a lot to me. You see, I too grew up with a lot of unexplained pain in my heart. There were times when I felt so alone that I just wanted to fade into the darkness and never return. My journey to happiness took a lot of years. I was in my 30's by the time I finally got my first diagnosis. Major depression. For the next 25 years I was in and out of treatment and if it wouldn't have been for some very loving, understanding people who came into my life, I most likely would not have made it this far. Once I finally did start to see some hope for happiness in my life and things started getting better for me, I knew then that from that day on I would have a purpose in life. Over all my years of feeling sad and confused there was one thing that stood out as the ost painful part of my whole life experience. It was the aloneness. The feeling that I was so different that no one could ever understand me and that I would always be alone. Well, it has become my mission in life to find others who feel this aloneness and make sure that they never have to feel all alone again. Some of my dearest friends on the internet, I met while sitting up late working on my forums and then someone would make a post or send me a pm. Sometimes we would just talk all night. Other times we would just share a smile or two. Every time though, we would have touched each others hearts and in some subtle little way, each of our lives would be changed forever. Much the same way that you have touched Ally's and my heart. We could pass each other on the street and never realize that we just passed someone who had changed our life.

SO Tracy, it,s after 3am and for some reason, I found myself at the computer, thinking that I might find someone out there who is feeling all alone. Instead though, I think I found someone to help me keep others from feeling all alone. Thank you my Friend.

The biggest little community in the world. The Spotlight Of Friends

The following link will take you to a program that I gave up on once but, I am now convinced that this is a great opportunity. The people involved have been very dedicated to their members and it is getting very close to " PAYDAY ".

+0