Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: English as a first language is hard enough, think of those still struggling with it.
7/22/2009 4:31:26 PM

Kathleen,

Set fire to..........

Set down your thoughts or your suitcase.

It gets worse.

Roger

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: English as a first language is hard enough, think of those still struggling with it.
7/22/2009 4:47:38 PM

Oh Luis,

Please spare me.

I really hope that Branka doesn't see the Pharaoh one. I don't think I can explain that one. OOOOh.

Stock Photo - pharaoh statue 
in egypt. fotosearch 
- search stock 
photos, pictures, 
images, and photo 
clipart

The other phrase for punctuation is, I think,

" That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is not that so?"

Roger

+0
Dimitra Bravou

1603 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
7/23/2009 3:59:01 AM

Hi Roger,

It's fun that you say "It's all Greek to me" while we say "It's all Chinese to me" !!!

I assure you that you can learn Greek as it is a logic language. Every word has a reason to be and if someone can understand the 'key" to our language then it's easier to learn it.

As about daily usage of English, I surely agree with this but it's so difficult to find other people speaking English here. And I mean "speaking well", not just "speaking" as most of Greeks have some knowledge of English.

Dimitra

+0
Branka Babic

2716 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/23/2009 8:08:30 AM

My dear Roger,

I am laughing so hard ! To underline all the paradoxes, you responded to Jayson or to Luka ?

Ahhhhhhh ...

In Serbian :

LUKA JE POJEO KILO LUKA.

(Luka ate one kg of ONION  )

LUKA JE MANJI OD NJEGOVOG LUKA.

(Luka is smaller than his bow .)

ONA IMA UZAK PAS PA IZGLEDA KAO PAS.

(She has a tiny waist and looks like a dog .)

So , lucky Serbs , trying to understand crazy English and to translate crazy Serbian into crazy English.

My problem is bigger to express my thoughts in English, than to understand anything written.

Unfortunately, never I have had  the time to learn it seriously.  But however bad it may be, I am so much grateful for knowing it even that way. It enables, at least, sometimes a big fun for me and my dear friends. Sometimes, an importance of UNDERSTANDING may be after IMPORTANCE of having a good belly laugh :) .

Thanks Roger, I enjoy this topic very much and would be back to read all "news" .

Hugs,

Branka

+0
Branka Babic

2716 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/23/2009 8:16:26 AM

Luis Miguel and Roger,

I must disappoint you, but this one is perfectly and clearly understudy for me :) :

THE SON OF PHARAOH'S DAUGHTER IS THE DAUGHTER OF PHARAOH'S SON? 

(In Gymnasium, I have had "LOGIC" and so many brainshaking examples made my brain addicted to a "shaking" words, idioms and phrases, premises and right or wrong conclusions. THAT`S WHY MY MIND IS A LITTLE DISTORTED :) and my attitude, as usually is, follows that distortion :) ).

Pharaoh`s Son Daughter`s Hugs,

Branka

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!