Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Geketa Holman

2080 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: English as a first language is hard enough, think of those still struggling with it.
7/22/2009 10:39:03 AM
Hi Roger,

That was a delightful read. Here in Adland we have lots of folks that are not native English speakers and writers . I believe most of them do a wonderful job deciphering this mind boggling language we call English. Thanks again I enjoyed reading it. Which brings to mind, why do we park on a driveway and drive on a parkway? Shouldn't that be the other way around? Less not forget also , why we do we brush our teeth with a tooth brush? It only would make sense if you only had one tooth:)

Blessings,

Geketa

Hear, O Israel the L-rd our G-d,the L-rd is one http://www.DHGBoutique.com
+0
Dimitra Bravou

1603 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: English as a first language is hard enough, think of those still struggling with it.
7/22/2009 11:04:58 AM
Hi Roger,

If people, who have English as their mother language, get confused, what we, people from other countries, should say? Well, after trying to learn English when I was a teen, I finally decided that what I know is enough to communicate (lol). I think that I'll never learn the correct use of verbs like : set, get or prepositions like : in, on, to. I'm always confused with these so I stopped trying. On the other hand, most of non Greek who try to learn our language say that Greek is very hard to learn. I doubt! I've learned it! (lol)

Ok, just kidding.

Regards,

Dimitra

+0
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/22/2009 11:18:01 AM

Hi Dimitra,

You've just started my brain in high gear with the word "set"...it means so many things!  You probably know most of these, but now all at once will be much more of a pile of English ridiculousness of one word...SET:

Set the table (arrange the plates and everything before the meal)

Chess set (all the pieces and the board)

Mind set (hopefully positive attitude)

Put the jello in the fridge to set (obviously! the jello will get firm=set)

Matching set (could be an exact pair such as socks, or a set of salt/pepper shakers, or a set of necklace/earrings/bracelet, or a set of twin people, or a matching shirt/pants) hmmm! 

+0
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/22/2009 11:18:54 AM
Actually SET can be a verb or a noun, big fun.  I'm glad I didn't have to learn THAT as a 2nd language, just one word would drive me bonkers.
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/22/2009 12:46:35 PM

Dear Roger,

What about this one: THE SON OF PHARAOH'S DAUGHTER IS THE DAUGHTER OF PHARAOH'S SON? 

Some of my classmates quit lessons after our teacher wrote it on the blackboard. 

I remember another one yet not completely: THAT THAT IS IS THAT THAT IS NOT IS NOT... etcetera; you were supposed to put in some commas to make it readable. Sorry, I have tried to find the full text to no avail. Maybe you or one of your visitors know it?

Indeed, English is challenging as a second language. But I have always loved being challenged, at least intellectually.

Best Wishes,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!