Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: PHILOXENIA: Israeli-Palestinian Conflict
3/8/2009 1:12:46 PM
International demonstrations against Israel Massacre in GAZA

News from David Cup Official WebSite.

ITF statement about the Sweden/Israel 1st round tie
The ITF has been informed that, for security reasons, the local government in Malmo has advised the Swedish Tennis Association that the upcoming Davis Cup by BNP Paribas first round tie between Sweden and Israel must be played behind closed doors.

ITF President Francesco Ricci Bitti said:

“The security plan already submitted by the Malmo police and the efforts of the two tennis associations would be enough to allow the tie to take place under normal circumstances. Therefore we do not agree with the decision by the Malmo authorities to exclude the public, and even at this late date, maintain our request that the decision not to allow spectators be reconsidered."

“However for the integrity of the competition it is most important for the tie to go ahead, for both teams to be allowed to compete, and for the Swedish Tennis Association to retain the choice of ground.

“Given these exceptional circumstances, this subject will be discussed at the next meeting of the Davis Cup Committee for any further action to be taken to prevent this situation happening in future.”

Protesters tried to break through police barricades
around the Baltic Hall arena

From BBC News

Dozens of anti-Israel demonstrators have clashed with Swedish police in Malmo as they sought to disrupt a tennis match between Sweden and Israel.

At least five rock-throwing protesters were held in the southern city, police say. There were no reports of injuries.

The demonstrators, mostly youths, tried to storm an arena where the Sweden-Israel Davis Cup match was being held.

They chanted slogans condemning Israel's recent offensive in Gaza and urged support for the Palestinians.

Swedish police said the clashes near the Baltic Hall arena began soon after thousands of people attended the peaceful Stop the Match rally in central Malmo.

Some protesters then tried to break through police barricades set up around the sports complex, police said.

They hurled stones, firecrackers and bottles of paint at police vans, but were dispersed by hundreds of riot police.

Violence reportedly continued in other parts of the city.

Only about 300 specially-chosen guests were allowed to watch the doubles match, because Malmo officials said they could not guarantee security at the venue.

Israeli player Andy Ram said it was a "stupid decision" to play the tie behind closed doors.

"Playing without a crowd is like playing a practice match," he said.

Kindly Regards
Click on the Banner Philoxenia

Georgios Paraskevopoulos

ETERNAL WISDOM-Know ThySelf, PHILOXENIA MetaCafe, Adlanders In Facebook
+0
3/8/2009 2:59:28 PM
Even if I am swedish myself I am pleased that Israel won the game.It was like a victory over the horrible antisemitic demonstrations which have occured the latest time in this country.
Mattias Kroon Affiliate Creative Marketer http://moneymaker4554.blogspot.com/
+0
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/8/2009 3:44:05 PM
Hello Mattias!

You country is global famous for accepting immigrants and refugees. Many of us who live or lived there are blessing Sweden. I studied International Migrations Politics in Växjö at late 70ies. Many things have changed in Sweden since then. I believe your country easily accept asyle immigrants without any control. More than 1/12th of your population have foreign origin. I am not so sure all those people are refugees.

This is of course a matter  for your government  to find solutions  and upgrade their foreign politics. At the 60ies Sweden needed immigrant workers (my parents came to Sweden as workers),  but since the 70ies you country followed a more "human" attitude to immigrants by accepting only refugees for political racism.

Happy International Womans' Day
Georgios
ETERNAL WISDOM-Know ThySelf, PHILOXENIA MetaCafe, Adlanders In Facebook
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!