Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Ads for Idiots
9/16/2008 10:24:25 AM
OVer the past week, I've received more than a dozen new friendship invitations, it was a high amount of about 5 to 7 daily for a few days, and then they all sent me the exact same ad for DirectMatches.  It makes me wonder if all those people swarmed into Adlandpro together just for that purpose.
+0
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/16/2008 10:42:19 AM

Hi Kathleen,

Interesting point. I think we all received the same invites and ads later on. But one day I received 8 invites one after the other and the wording of the invite was the exact same thing. Even worse 7 of them didn't even have pictures or any relevant info on their profile page. 

I don't know about you but I don't accept invites like that. The bad part is that they can send you their ads through the direct mailings even if they aren't on your friends list.

Oh well, it is Adland isn't it???

Shalom,

Peter

Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/16/2008 11:01:24 AM

Hi Mary,

Since when does having a title make you any better then those of us without titles. Just look at all the "Senators", "Drs", CEOs and the list goes on and on that lie, cheat, steal you blind and so much more. The problem is that many when they see a title automatically have positive feelings about them.

Personally I would double check them in a community like this since titles don't or shouldn't make a difference here. We are all here to do business but most importantly to have long term relationships. Many don't get that but in the end they probably will.

You and I have a mutual friend that (hasn't been around lately unfortunately) that doesn't need to brag about his titles. His actions, words and projects show exactly who he is. His website and posts show us the type of person he is and believe me he has bragging rights to many titles. We need more like him in the community.

BTW, there are "few" that I recognize on the wall of shame including the Dr.

Shalom,

Peter

Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/16/2008 12:08:39 PM

Hi Kathleen,  Ads or invitations, the same principal should apply.  I well know the Direct Matches pitch.

How hard would it be to put into your own words. Hi  I am ___________.   May I add you to my friends list.  Then put your company, ie. direct matches in the last line. Actually it appears in your signature line. 

Curious to know, which of  these the kinds  ads encourages you to want to add them to your friends list. When I meet people I expect a handshake not a business card shoved in my face.

Thanks for adding to our discussion.  Invites are truely ads, you are selling yourself, so why not be original, interesting, friendly, etc.

+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/16/2008 12:15:19 PM

Peter, given that they can send ads to all of Adlandpro via the Adlander service, certainly one can see that the copy paste generic ad will not go far. In fact we grow weary of it. 

Jim mentioned that repetition makes us more aware.  I would agree but even Coke and Pepsi have many ways to tell  you that you really need their product.

If you don't feel confident in writing a zingger of an ad.  Take the one offered by the company and then make it personal.  If you have made money, say so but don't say you have made $500 in the first hour just because the script says so.  Be who you are and show us what you have accomplished.

Really we are a lot smater than that, especially when we have seen the  same ad over and over. Yes, I for one don't catch it when the first ad comes out but after a couple, even an idiot like me can grasp it.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!