Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Truth tellers
5/5/2012 4:34:23 PM
Hi again Myrna,
I am afraid this other article is not exactly nice...

Senate Urged to Release Torture Report

There is a new campaign out there on the one year anniversary of the take-down of Osama Bin Laden claiming that his killing resulted from the success of the Bush torture program.

America’s former torturer-in-chief Jose Rodriguez has written a book and was selling it and this argument on ‘enhanced interrogation techniques’ (EITs) on 60 Minutes last Sunday.

According to Rodriguez, high-value detainees were not cooperative and resisted CIA interrogation when they arrived. As this story goes, after the CIA subjected them to EITs, the detainees became cooperative and started answering questions.

Except they didn’t. Rodriguez in his book mentions numerous times that even after rendering the high-value detainees “complicit” through EITs, the CIA still didn’t get all the answers they wanted.

Professional interrogators who have actually interrogated high-value detainees (unlike Rodriguez) say that threats and pain can actually render those detainees more resistant and make an interrogation more likely to fail.

In real life, professional interrogators use non-coercive interrogation methods with high-value detainees and get the reliable, actionable information they’re after, without torturing or abusing anyone (hear them in the video below). And in real life, EITs and torture get you false information. The false link between Saddam Hussein and al Qaeda, a major motivation for the war in Iraq, camelargely from interrogations that involved torture.

Winston Churchill, in Britain’s ‘darkest hour’, did not allow the practice of torture — because it did not work and because it could backfire.

The Senate investigation into the CIA Torture program [PDF] has this to say about Rodriguez:

The roots of the UBL operation stretch back nearly a decade and involve hundreds, perhaps thousands, of intelligence professionals who worked non-stop to connect and analyze many fragments of information, eventually leading the United States to Usama Bin Laden’s location in Abbottabad, Pakistan. The suggestion that the operation was carried out based on information gained through the harsh treatment of CIA detainees is not only inaccurate, it trivializes the work of individuals across multiple U.S. agencies that led to UBL and the eventual operation.

We are also troubled by Mr. Rodriguez’s statements justifying the destruction of video tapes documenting the use of coercive interrogation techniques as “just getting rid of some ugly visuals.” His decision to order the destruction of the tapes was in violation of instructions from CIA and White House lawyers, illustrates a blatant disregard for the law, and unnecessarily caused damage to the CIA’s reputation.

Kyle “Dusty” Foggo, then Executive Director of the CIA, wrote in an e-mail that Rodriguez thought “the heat from destroying is nothing compared to what it would be if the tapes ever got into public domain – he said that out of context they would make us look terrible; it would be ‘devastating’ to us.”

Rodriguez is going around saying what he did was not torture, yet he destroyed the very evidence which would prove his supposed point. How convenient.

The producers of the soft focus 60 Minutes piece actually admit that what Rodriguez did was as bad as the Nazis and the Khmer Rouge, but they just wanted him to give ‘his side of the story.’ Senator Dianne Feinstein reacted to 60 Minutes giving him a platform where he could brag about his order to destroy videotapes by saying that this “illustrates a blatant disregard for the law.” Which rather begs the question as to why he hasn’t been arrested, and indeed why the Obama administration has given all those who allowed torture a free pass.

Romney supports EIT (torture) and the pushback from Cheney, and Rodriguez and their pals is not going to stop. Banished and denounced by Obama though torture was, it could still come back and this is why there is a call for the Senate to publish the full report on the CIA’s torture program, with as few redactions as possible, and comprehensively debunk people like them.

This is the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence (SSCI) three-year long review, a 4,000-page report of the CIA’s post-September 11 detention and interrogation practices.

Support Amnesty International, Human Rights First and many others in calling for the full report to be released here or here.

Watch experts explain why ‘Torture is Counterproductive’ in this report from Human Rights First:

Related stories:

Wanted: Torturer – Join Our Small But Enthusiastic Team

American Torture: 40 Years in Solitary

Ten Years of Guantanamo: One of the Prison’s First Detainees Breaks His Silence

Read more: , , , ,

Image by mariopiperni

Read more: http://www.care2.com/causes/senate-urged-to-release-torture-report.html#ixzz1tzRxavsY

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/5/2012 5:32:14 PM
Hi Miguel.

Wow you are the bearer of all the bad news. Sounds to me like someone upset with Apple, others go elsewhere where they don't have to pay taxes. Just shows how bad the greed is.

As far as things in Afghanistan I wonder how much truth we have really heard, we have been lied too so much now who believes anything they say. How many man have died for nothing but honor. I do honor them and give them all the respect.

You are right about the torture post. Torture is horrid. I think anyone who has tortured another person or animal should confess that they were in the wrong and had no right to conflict pain on anyone. Like the old saying, "you can catch more bees with honey then vinegar" But then again, these people don't have any type of love in them. Hate is all they know.

Thankfully we will all have our Truth answers soon.

Blessings,
Myrna
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/8/2012 5:34:10 PM
Hi Myrna,

I cannot agree more with you; truth seems to be so relative these days. Here is another instance of deception as a topmost practice in the greedy schedule.

Hugs,

Miguel

No magic bullet on the flu

Digging into reports on Tamiflu's effectiveness yielded some surprises — and a $200 settlement.

January 15, 2012|By David Finkelstein

In recent weeks I've had occasion to wonder whether Talmudic scholars of yore ever debated the question of what to do when a nice Jewish boy came down with swine flu. Less shameful than a diagnosis of trichinosis, perhaps, in which the subject would surely be harshly judged for his complicity in having partaken of undercooked pork. Yet hasn't a swine flu victim also ingested (or at least inhaled) the virus one way or another?

Admittedly, this was not foremost on my mind when, in 2006, my wife and I purchased a drug called Tamiflu. It was at a time, you may recall, when every allegedly responsible health agency — including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta and the World Health Organization in Geneva — warned of the imminent onset of an avian flu "pandemic" of lethal proportions, comparable to the Spanish flu of 1918, which claimed up to 100 million lives.

My wife and I were soon to be leaving on a writing assignment abroad, and Tamiflu was being touted as effective in reducing the "secondary complications" of flu, including bronchitis and pneumonia. As it turned out, however, trying to buy two courses of Tamiflu proved difficult. The pandemic scare had prompted a rash of panic buying, and nary a pill was to be found. As revealed later, President George W. Bush, ever solicitous of the nation's health — primarily the health of all those young men and women he had sent off to Iraq and Afghanistan — had spent more than $1 billion of taxpayers' money to stockpile the drug. We finally managed to get the pills through a mail-order pharmacy in Canada.

Not surprisingly, we never did come down with avian flu; hardly anyone did. The pandemic never occurred.

Fast-forward to 2011, when a random inventory of our medicine chest revealed the unused Tamiflu pills hidden behind a box of Band-Aids. Maybe we should have discarded them earlier, but our decision to keep them was no doubt influenced by a media campaign in 2009 that proclaimed the threat of yet another frightening outbreak. This time it was swine flu, and — surprise, surprise — Tamiflu was again touted as the drug to save the day.

So you can imagine our surprise when just a few months ago, while browsing through an article titled "Reckless Medicine" in the magazine Discover, we came upon an astounding story. After reviewing studies of Tamiflu during the avian flu scare, Dr. Tom Jefferson of the Cochrane Collaboration, a nonprofit group dedicated to analyzing medical evidence, had concluded in a 2006 report that the drug was effective. "But," said the article, "several years later, another physician challenged that conclusion because 8 of 10 studies in a meta-analysis — a review of studies — that Jefferson relied on had never been published."

That prompted Jefferson to seek the raw data. "He was stymied when several authors and the manufacturer gave one excuse after another for why it couldn't supply the actual data. Jefferson's concern turned to outrage when two employees of a communications company … [revealed] they had been paid to ghostwrite some of the Tamiflu studies [and] had been given explicit instructions to ensure that a key message was embedded in the articles: Flu is a threat, and Tamiflu is the answer.

"After reanalyzing the raw data finally made available (they still don't have it all), Jefferson and his colleagues published their review [in December 2009], saying that once the unpublished studies were excluded, there was no proof that Tamiflu reduced serious flu complications like pneumonia or death."

In short, it appears the pharmaceutical companies had been as cunning in conning the public on matters of health as Wall Street had been on matters of wealth.

After reading this article and doing a morning's online research, we phoned Genentech Corp., a U.S. affiliate of Hoffmann-La Roche, the Swiss drug giant that holds marketing rights to Tamiflu. Our aim was simply to get the company's response to the allegations. But the customer service representative adamantly refused to discuss the issue, in essence telling us to get lost but to have a nice day.

Stonewalled, we wrote directly to Genentech's chief, Ian Clark, suggesting that because it appeared we'd been misled into purchasing Tamiflu, the simplest solution would be a return of the pills for a refund of the $120 we had paid for them. But unlike his underling, who at least had wished us a nice day, Clark didn't even bother to respond. And so, much as we two senior citizens from New York shrank at the thought of an early-morning PATH trip to Newark, N.J., we bit the bullet and filed a small-claims action in a New Jersey court, that jurisdiction being the closest location where Genentech was licensed to do business. Our suit alleged breach of contract by way of fraud.

Genentech must have dreaded the trip to Newark even more than we did, because a week before the scheduled trial we received a call from the company's in-house lawyer. Genentech, he said, was prepared to resolve the matter out of court, paying us the amount requested (now, with court costs included, an astronomical $200) in exchange for our signing a "standard release." Tucked within its numerous paragraphs was a clause stipulating that we consent to a monastic vow of silence on the issue, renouncing our right ever to mention it to anyone in the future.

Really? We asked ourselves. Were these Genentech guys so out of touch they didn't know the story of the rabbi's hole in one, the only one he'd ever hit in his life? It happens on a Saturday while he is playing a furtive round of golf instead of observing the Sabbath in the sanctity of his synagogue. An infuriated Moses, who wanted the rabbi punished for his sin, demands to know of God why the rabbi gets a hole in one instead. Jehovah, knowing the true horror of his punishment, explains, "But whom can he tell?"

Read more

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/8/2012 6:22:15 PM
Thanks Miguel,

I applaud these people for standing up to what they believed as truth. I am finding a lot more of truthful people coming forth.
Here is one site http://freedomreigns.us/ that is bringing us the truth. Hope you all listen to the tapes and learn what our future holds. I can tell you it is going to be great, even better then great.
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Jim
Jim Allen

11253 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/8/2012 7:04:55 PM
I found this quite interesting ,Myrna. Did you check the links? Please can you explain the reasoning behind this? Example of a County Relocation Project in Ohio would this be an example of what NOT to do or what TO do? I have not tuned into the program as yet but did follow some links from the site.

Jim

Quote:
Thanks Miguel,

I applaud these people for standing up to what they believed as truth. I am finding a lot more of truthful people coming forth.
Here is one site http://freedomreigns.us/ that is bringing us the truth. Hope you all listen to the tapes and learn what our future holds. I can tell you it is going to be great, even better then great.

May Wisdom and the knowledge you gained go with you,

Jim Allen III
Everything You Need For Online Success

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!