Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Potw Team

2183 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
RE: Vote for the 262nd POTW
12/20/2010 6:45:20 PM
Quote:
Hello Barry,
I didn't vote yet this week cos I was curious to see how the voting would go. I couldn't see myself voting for a member who was absent from the community for ages and just a few short weeks ago returned to the community. When I saw his post asking to be removed from the contest and saw that people continued to vote for him it was the clincher for me and I decided not to participate in this contest. Now Robert's "left the building" and the contest seems to be in a ridiculous situation. The leader is no longer a member.
This should be a sign that the criteria needs to be changed but as the admin of this forum it's your choice. In my opinion if you don't want to cancel this contest you should divide his votes equally amongst the other candidates in order to decide who will eventually be the winner.
Personally I'm sorry to see this happen but the writing was on the wall that something of this sort might eventually occur. You can't take new members and/or absent members and turn them into active members in the community simply by entering them into the POTW contest. Their entry should be based on activity and not future activity. Sorta reminds me of B Hussein getting the Nobel Peace Prize for things he might do in the future. We've seen the absurdity of that and his failure in almost everything he's touched.
Shalom,
Peter

Hello Peter,

As I have posted previously to both Phil and Donna, "Your vote is based on who you would like to see win and does not necessarily have to be someone you know as it could be someone you think deserves to win based on what you have seen of their profile or you could decide that no one is deserving of it this week. The important thing for the POTW is support and secondly voting for who you believe deserves it"

I do not think it should be an indictment against the POTW if there is no one you think is deserving of the vote this week. However that could be rectified if we have more members submitting who they would like to see listed as a candidate.

I am going to do an update to the criteria.

Sincerely,

Barry

+0
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/20/2010 6:52:12 PM
Thanks for your reply Barry. I'm not sure I agree with your reply to Phil and Donna but in the end I did vote this week.
Shalom,
Peter

Quote:
Quote:
Hello Barry,
I didn't vote yet this week cos I was curious to see how the voting would go. I couldn't see myself voting for a member who was absent from the community for ages and just a few short weeks ago returned to the community. When I saw his post asking to be removed from the contest and saw that people continued to vote for him it was the clincher for me and I decided not to participate in this contest. Now Robert's "left the building" and the contest seems to be in a ridiculous situation. The leader is no longer a member.
This should be a sign that the criteria needs to be changed but as the admin of this forum it's your choice. In my opinion if you don't want to cancel this contest you should divide his votes equally amongst the other candidates in order to decide who will eventually be the winner.
Personally I'm sorry to see this happen but the writing was on the wall that something of this sort might eventually occur. You can't take new members and/or absent members and turn them into active members in the community simply by entering them into the POTW contest. Their entry should be based on activity and not future activity. Sorta reminds me of B Hussein getting the Nobel Peace Prize for things he might do in the future. We've seen the absurdity of that and his failure in almost everything he's touched.
Shalom,
Peter

Hello Peter,

As I have posted previously to both Phil and Donna, "Your vote is based on who you would like to see win and does not necessarily have to be someone you know as it could be someone you think deserves to win based on what you have seen of their profile or you could decide that no one is deserving of it this week. The important thing for the POTW is support and secondly voting for who you believe deserves it"

I do not think it should be an indictment against the POTW if there is no one you think is deserving of the vote this week. However that could be rectified if we have more members submitting who they would like to see listed as a candidate.

I am going to do an update to the criteria.

Sincerely,

Barry

Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0
Potw Team

2183 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
12/20/2010 6:54:56 PM
Quote:

Hi Barry,

I was wondering why Gabrielle wasn't in the nominees list this week, the eligibility rules don't say "active" forum and lots of other people have been in the list and some have won this year without active forums.

I wasn't here for much of this year, but several of the recent elections had one obviously popular nominee and 3 nearly unknown or not-here-very-often nominees, what some might call a "setup" for an easy win. I like Robert Coaster, but like I said on page one, it was a done deal after 3 votes were in during the first hour. It may as well be a 2-person nominee list, one popular person against one unknown or not here, and just let people target the votes FOR or AGAINST, instead of a 3-person spread of a few votes each for unknown people, none of them having much chance to win against the 1 obviously set choice.

Hi Kathleen,

An active forum is a forum and has been taken to mean as such from previous POTW's administrators. However I will post that in the "Eligibility Criteria" when I am updatiung it so there is no confusion.

I spend about two to three hours each week scouring through the community looking for eligible members each week. When I do this I start at a point in the database based on the Site Reports list until I have four qualified members if I have received no nominations. I do not have time to look for staged candidates lists and I stop when I get to the four needed if I have no one.

It would be a great help if you and anyone else reading this could go through the list as well and bring up some elible members for the candidates listing. We cannot build up a list as it's required to have active members so it cannot be out of date for more than 2 to 3 weeks.

Regards,

Barry

+0
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/20/2010 6:57:33 PM
Okay, thanks. Several of us did contact Gabrielle a couple weeks ago about re-activating her forums but since others have been nominated and won without active forums, it didn't seem of major importance, or she probably would have.
+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/20/2010 10:41:13 PM

I neglected to say that I have voted this week in POTW. Good luck everyone. Note to Robert ... Please come back!

Pat

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!