Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
RE: Papas Kitchen
10/11/2010 5:59:38 PM

Hello Phil, just stopping by to read your latest recipes. That cornbread recipe is really close to the one I have been using lately. It was on the can of Aunt Jemima cornmeal and I made a few adjustments. You know I really did have an "Aunt Jemima"! She was short and round, with small legs - her husband was about 6 ft. + and skinny. Quite a happy pair, they always made visitors welcome.

I like the recipe for making your own jerky. I never can find any that really tastes good and it is too expensive to sample much.

Have a great week!

Sara

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/11/2010 7:07:16 PM
Hi Myrna & Sara,

It's always Great when you both drop by to visit. Like I said, every so often, I get a craving for Beef Jerky, don't quite know why, but never the less, what I make myself is as good or better than any that I can buy locally.

Today let's just keep it Very Basic. This one's just full of spicy, sweet and smokey flavor. Very easily adaptable to your personal taste. Also, it makes THE BEST sandwiches from leftovers! To keep it healthier, I've paired it with a few Baked French Fries below.

Smokey Chipotle Meatloaf

Ingredients

• 2 eggs
  • 1/3 cup hickory flavored barbeque sauce
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced, or to taste
  • 2 chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, minced, or to taste
  • 2 tablespoons adobo sauce from chipotle peppers
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup dry oatmeal
  • 2 pounds lean ground beef
  • 2 tablespoons hickory flavored barbeque sauce

Directions

1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
  2. Beat the eggs in a large mixing bowl until smooth, then whisk in 1/3 cup barbeque sauce, garlic, chipotle chiles, adobo sauce, kosher salt, black pepper, celery salt, cumin, and Worcestershire sauce until evenly smooth. Mix in the onion, oatmeal, and ground beef with your hands until evenly blended. Pack the mixture into the prepared pan. Brush the top of the meatloaf with 2 more tablespoons of barbeque sauce.
  3. Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, about 1 hour. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 160 degrees F.

Baked French Fries

Ingredients

• 4 large baking potatoes
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 2 teaspoons garlic powder
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder

Directions

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.

Cut potato into wedges. Mix olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, chili powder and onion powder together. Coat potatoes with oil/spice mixture and place on a baking sheet.

Bake for 45 minutes in preheated oven.

Wishing You A Wonderful Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/11/2010 8:03:42 PM
Hello Myrna and Friends,

Here's a little example of how my Diet is constantly adapting as my tastes, and/or my health, has changed. I love this recipe. Not only is it super easy and very tasty, but it's also vegan. Most vegan cakes that I've tried are like cardboard, but this one is moist and fluffy. This cake was very popular during the depression, since it does not have eggs in it.

If anyone is interested, I've also got a rather unusual Recipe for one called Grandma's Eggless, Butterless, Milkless Cake. For the True Vegan. Just let me know.

Crazy Cake

Ingredients

• 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 3/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups cold water

Directions

1. Sift flour, sugar, salt, soda, and cocoa together into a 9 x 13 inch ungreased cake pan. Make three wells. Pour oil into one well, vinegar into second, and vanilla into third well. Pour cold water over all, and stir well with fork.
  2. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 40 minutes, or until tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Frost with your favorite icing.

Have A Marvelous Monday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/12/2010 4:00:41 AM
Hi Phil,

Crazy cake one of my favorite. I use to make it often. You know if you beat this with beaters it isn't good. It seems that to just stir in the pan is the best thing and it is always good. Then I use my cooked icing on it. If you like chocolate this cake is just perfect.

Cooked Fudge icing.
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup cocoa
Bring to boil and boil for 5 minutes. You can stir it until it is the right thickness for spreading or you let it sit until it cools enough to spreed.

This is a single recipe I usually double it. Then I let it cook 10 minutes.
Also if it is not thick enough, I have put it back on and cooked some more, will not hurt it.

Myrna
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/12/2010 4:04:02 AM
Me again,

I really wanted to tell you my favorite meal, which is a baked potato with broccoli, cheese with sour cream. The first time I heard of this I thought it sounded gross, but I tried it and fell in love with the flavors. I have it a lot. In fact I had it tonight.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!