Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Healthy Crockpot Recipes - High Flavor, Low Sodium, Low Fat
9/6/2010 7:48:27 PM

Hello My Friends,

Hope that you all had a Terrific Labor Day Weekend, and that your all ready for a Fantastic Fall & Winter.

Here's a very spicy and surprisingly flavorful way to prepare black-eyed peas in a slow-cooker. Perfect for those cool Fall evenings that are just around the corner.

Spicy Chipotle Black-Eyed Peas

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 cup chopped orange bell pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 1/2 cup chopped carrot
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1 (16 ounce) package dry black-eyed peas
  • 2 cups water
  • 12 cups vegetable bouillon base (such as Better Than Bouillon® Vegetable Base)
  • 1/2 (7 ounce) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped, sauce reserved
  • 1 teaspoon liquid mesquite smoke flavoring
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

1. Heat the olive oil and balsamic vinegar in a skillet; cook and stir the orange bell pepper, celery, carrot, onion, and garlic in the hot oil until the onion is translucent, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a slow cooker; mix in the black-eyed peas, water, and vegetable base, stirring to dissolve the vegetable base. Stir in the chipotle peppers, about 1 tablespoon of the reserved adobo sauce (or to taste), liquid smoke, cumin, and black pepper.
  2. Cook in the slow cooker on Low until the black-eyed peas are very tender and the flavors are blended, about 8 hours.

Have A Wonderful Week My Friends,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/8/2010 7:04:40 PM

This is probably not one of my healthiest creations, but it's certainly one my Best, and a real favorite here at my house. Also, it's really quite easuy to make.

Peach Blueberry Cobbler Recipe

Ingredients:

4 cups peaches, peeled and sliced OR
2 bags (16 ounce size) frozen peaches, thawed

2 pints blueberries OR
2 bags (16 ounce size) frozen blueberries, thawed

3/4 cup granulated sugar*

1 cup all-purpose flour

4 tablespoons brown sugar*, divided use

1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder

4 tablespoons butter, cut into 6 pieces

1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

1 tablespoon grated orange zest (colored portion of peel)

1/4 cup finely chopped pecans PLUS 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans, divided

* I Replace Sugar & Brown Sugar With Splenda & Splenda Brown Sugar Blend respectively)

Directions:

In a 4-quart electric slow cooker, combine berries with their juices, and granulated sugar; mix thoroughly. Cover and cook on high heat setting for 1 1/2 hours.

Meanwhile, in a food processor, combine flour, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, baking powder and butter. Pulse until mixture looks crumbly. Add cream, zest and 1/4 cup pecans. Pulse until dough forms a ball.

Stir fruit in the slow cooker. Divide dough into walnut-size pieces, roll each into a ball and flatten with you fingers into 2-inch mounds. Place pieces of dough on top of the fruit.

Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon brown sugar and 2 tablespoons chopped pecans on top.

Cover and cook on high heat setting for 1 to 1 1/4 hours longer, until dough is cooked through. Turn off the cooker, remove cover and let the dessert cool in the pot for at least 10 minutes. Spoon into bowls and serve hot, at room temperature or cold with vanilla ice cream (Edy's No Sugar Added has on 3g of Sugar) or whipped cream.

Have A Great Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/8/2010 7:13:22 PM
wow PHIL..... that looks yummy.

Pat

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
9/8/2010 9:00:28 PM

Phil you have some great new recipes here. Very rich desserts that sound wonderful and as you say not a bit fattening!!

Sara

+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/8/2010 9:01:34 PM
i agree with SARA. I made peach jam and boy was it good.
I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!