Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Thomas Richmond

15469 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
SUNDAY SHOWCASE_Featuring BERYL PEYTON
4/26/2008 6:59:01 PM
Greetings Adlandpro time again for our Sunday Showcase , each week i feature someone who has been a staple here in the community with a great respect for others, good marketing skills and or a great influence on the people itself. This week i like to introduce to you a woman, a mother, Spiritually loved and a fighter. She hales from Kentucky where she resides now...

The city is best known for the large natural cave opening located on the south side of Main Street, from which the town's name is derived. As for the historical reason for the odd name, various legends are told. One has it that Native Americans historically hid horses in the cave. A similar tale is that an early carriage may have lost its horse to an accident, when the horse fell into the cave opening. Another, more likely, reason for the name is that the word horse was simply a 19th Century adjective implying huge. The cave opening is large, and this is the most likely reason for the odd name.

The cave itself has figured prominently in the history of the town. Around the World War I period, the world's only air-conditioned tennis courts were located in the entrance of the cave. Likewise, many of the early buildings alongside Main Street derived their air-conditioning from the cave. Inside the cave is a large, fast-flowing river, and the cave itself is also known as Hidden River Cave. This energy source provided the energy to drive a dynamo, and, for a while in the late 19th Century, Horse Cave was the only town outside of Louisville to have electric lights in Kentucky.

The town's drinking water was also taken from the cave. Unfortunately, due to an incomplete understanding of the underground water flow in the region, sewage seeped into the cave, and hence into the drinking water, and the cave became severely polluted. The outcome was that the cave was shut down for tours for over 50 years. During the 1960s, the stench was so bad that pedestrians would cross to the other side of Main Street, rather than walk near the cave's opening. Birds flying over the cave's opening could be seen struggling to breathe, falling from the sky into the opening of the cave. Fortunately, efforts made to prevent polluting ground water in the region, coupled with the natural regenerative effects of the running water, have largely restored the cave to a pristine condition. Tours have resumed once more, the outcome of a successful anti-pollution effort by various levels of government.

The town of Horse Cave dates only to around the time of the Civil War. A stop on the Louisville and Nashville Railroad at this location led to the development of commerce. For at least a short period of time, the town was also known as Caverna, before returning to the name of Horse Cave. The local school district, which is an independent school district crossing three counties and encompassing Horse Cave, Cave City, and Mammoth Cave, is still known as the Caverna Independent School District.

Historically, Horse Cave has been a major center of agricultural commerce for Hart County, Metcalfe County, Green County, and the northeastern part of Barren County since at least the 1870s. Tobacco warehouses located here have provided the majority of the income, although factory work has been growing since the 1970s.

Tourist attractions include the Kentucky Repertory Theatre, Kentucky Down Under/Kentucky Caverns, and the nearby Mammoth Cave National Park. Civil War Days are an annual tourist event, during which time parades down Main Street and re-enactments of a Civil War battle at Rowlett's Station, between Horse Cave and Munfordville, Kentucky are staged.

Horse Cave is also the birth place of former NBA player Clarence Glover.

As of 2000, there were 2,252 people, 977 households, and 601 families residing in the city. The population density was 758.0 people per square mile (292.8/km²). There were 1,091 housing units at an average density of 367.2/sq mi (141.8/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 80.91% White, 17.94% Black or African American, 0.27% Native American, 0.04% from other races, and 0.84% from two or more races. 0.58% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.

There were 977 households out of which 28.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 40.2% were married couples living together, 18.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 38.4% were non-families. 34.8% of all households were made up of individuals and 16.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.21 and the average family size was 2.84.

In the city the population was spread out with 21.8% under the age of 18, 8.8% from 18 to 24, 26.4% from 25 to 44, 22.6% from 45 to 64, and 20.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 81.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 72.5 males.

The median income for a household in the city was $21,134, and the median income for a family was $28,026. Males had a median income of $25,905 versus $18,457 for females. The per capita income for the city was $17,861. About 24.1% of families and 27.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 36.8% of those under age 18 and 22.5% of those age 65 or over. May I introduce to you Beryl Payton. WE LOVE BERYL

I was born and raised in Roselawn Ohio, with my 3 sisters and 3 brothers I had a very traumatic childhood; being sexually abused twice before the age of 12. I recently relocated to a small country town in Horse Cave, Ky where I now reside. Since 1969, I have lost my brother for he died at the age of 22 in June 1983 to a fatal car accident. My grandmother in February 1994 to Cancer and my Father who was and is still my heart September 19th, 1996 to a massive heart attack. I am a grandmother of 3 lovely young ladies, 16, 13 and 6 years of age.

I belong to the OES, I sing in 2 church choirs and 2 family groups, I also play the organ and the guitar, and I love devoting and volunteering time to help the needy. I have recently gained custody of 3 of my great nieces whose mother walked out on them and the father is young and not able to work and care for 3 baby girls on his own. Thanks to all the great people at Adlandpro I was able to meet my goal and bring them home and raise them. It is an Altruistic virtue I have for people. I am now a business woman running a web hosting company.

When you support Family owned businesses, you are promoting the Family Dream.

We can provide internet hosting Services that are affordable for any business, from the very simple do-it-yourself to the total e-commerce solution.

Unlike the big companies that only offer fixed packages, we custome tailor our services to fit your needs. If you are interested in having your business web site hosted here at low cost rates affordable for any business visit our hosting services page by clicking here

Beryl P. Hosting provides a variety of services for business and for personal needs.

From simple to advanced websites, we can fit your current needs and grow with you. Provided with every hosting account is full support and a variety of special features.

Our design and development team is available to create a professional and effective website for you and your business. We offer services ranging from a simple site redesign up to a custom application development. More information available here

Blessings,

Beryl

BERYL P.Hosting
Feature-rich hosting packages -
Money back guarantee-Family Owned and Operated

CMU7
http://www.cmu7.com/su/0Fy Join Our Family. http://community.adlandpro.com/go/jeana900/default.aspx  BERYL WANTED ME TO PUT THIS IN FOR YOU GUYS. MORE HISTORY

"Sleep in a Wigwam!!"

Wigwam Village Inn #2 is the most unique motel in all of Kentucky. It celebrated 60 years of colorful history in 1997, and staying there will be an experience you will never forget.

The Wigwam Village Inn #2 began as a dream of Frank A. Redford in the early 1900s. Frank’s inspirations in this dream were a popular ice cream shop shaped like an upside down cone and authentic teepees he’d seen on a Sioux reservation in South Dakota. His dream became reality in 1935 when construction on Wigwam Village #1 was completed in Horse Cave, Kentucky. Realizing he’d hit upon a popular idea, Frank patented the design with the US patent office in 1936.

Wigwam Village Inn #2 was completed in 1937 in Cave City, and five more were built over time in Alabama, Florida, New Orleans, California, and Arizona. From the beginning, the Wigwam Villages were gathering places with an atmosphere of old-time neighborliness. The community area at the center of the circle of wigwams seemed to invite people to come and talk. Nowadays, our playground at the center of the teepees invites young folks to play and our new 16'x16' "Misting Deck" is a great way to cool off on a hot summer day - regardless of your age!

Of the seven original Wigwam Villages, only three remain: #2 in Cave City, Kentucky, #6 in Holbrook, Arizona. and #7 in Riallto, California.  Wigwam Village #2 is an impressive sight and is truly a monument to one man’s American dream that came true. The main building, made up of 38 tons of concrete and 13 tons of steel, stands 52 feet high. It originally housed a restaurant and gift shop, but with the completion of Interstate 65 in the mid-60s, the restaurant was closed and this main building now houses a gift shop. Smaller wigwams on either side of the gift shop are public restrooms. Each of the remaining 15 buildings are bedrooms, complete with private bathrooms. Ten of these buildings have one double bed and the other five have 2 double beds. Furnishings in each of the buildings are original from the 1930's and are made of hickory and cane. Because of the historic nature of our rooms, we do not allow pets.

Because Wigwam Village Inn #2 offers such a unique atmosphere and at very economical prices, it is a popular place for travelers to stay in the Mammoth Cave area. Families return year after year because of the warmth and personal enjoyment they experience here. Without the distraction of a telephone, it is an opportunity to slow down and share a real, family vacation in one of America’s finest vacation destination areas.

AT YOUR SERVICE. Drop A Line With The Pros!! http://www.goneclicking.com/?rid=7178 http://www.protrafficshop.com/?rid=5719 Chief Administrator & Support
+0
Re: SUNDAY SHOWCASE_Featuring BERYL PEYTON
4/26/2008 7:05:35 PM

Once again a great lesson on another region of this great world of ours Thomas. I am always inspired by the amount of effort and information you put into your pieces.

Congratulations Beryl, what an incredible life you have lived. How generous of you to take in your great nieces and nephews and how thankful their parents must be to have you as part of their family to support thme in this way.

Enjoy your time in the spotlight,

Kind regards,

Leanne

Leanne Did you know it IS possible to feel great whenever you choose to? I'd love to share my secret resource with you www.YourSuccessfulMind.com
+0
Chris Agostarola

979 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
4/26/2008 7:07:28 PM

Hi Thomas,

Thank you for hosting Beryl here. She is a very nice lady and deserves to be recognized! Congratulations Beryl and enjoy your time in the Thomas' spotlight!

Chris

Chris Agostarola LunaWolf's Mystical Essence http://lunawolfsmysticalessence.com/store/affiliate.asp?aff=71 FREE TO JOIN!!! Watkins www.watkinsonline.com rep#380993 to join : http://www.tsginfo.com/index.php?rc=CA4792
+0
Kathy Hamilton

13886 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/26/2008 7:14:17 PM

Hello Thomas,

your doing a great job featuring others.

Congrats to you Beryl, your an amazing person and thank you for your friendship throughout the community with everyone. Your intro is wonderful have a blessed week.

Kathy Hamilton/simikathy

I walk by faith not by sight Profit Clicking http://www.profitclicking.com/?r=simikathy
+0
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/26/2008 7:59:40 PM
 Dear Beryl

It is a true pleasure to meet you here on this very special forum.

While I have read about your losses, what I have also read is the strength and spirit of a person who found opprotunites to go beyond and become a very successful person, not just in business but in your personal life as well.

Take a bow, many can learn from you!

Thomas as you do with everyone here on your forums, you give great information about places and trivia but more importantly you bring out those who deserve to be noticed and for that you should also take a bow.

I may not be around too often in Adland and for that I am sorry, but when I do,it is always a pleasure to see what you have been up to.

Take good care :-)

To Your Success,

Diane
+0