Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Geketa Holman

2080 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Social Workers knocking on the doors of Home Schoolers----Alert to what is coming
3/11/2008 11:20:56 AM
Hi Mary ,

I found this ..I will add at the botton of this post.

I  wanted to see what you as a teacher would you say if this were a standard 8th grade test given  todayin public shcools?Another  question is how many high school grads in the past 10 years might be able to pass it ?..

My three older children that were all home schooled an are either in college now or have graduated did very well .. not perfect ,but very well. My 16 year old son past it with a 96. He finishes high school this year.

I took this test to work and gave it to some younger people I worked with this past summer , they all failed it ! They attended public high school ! These are the kinds of standards home schooler's use!

Here is the standard test give in 1805 to pass to the 8th grade!!!

8th Grade Final Exam:  Salina, KS - 1895

Grammar (Time, one hour)

1. Give nine rules for the use of capital letters.
2. Name the parts of speech and define those that have no modifications.
3. Define verse, stanza and paragraph
4. What are the principal parts of a verb? Give principal parts of "lie,""play," and "run."
5. Define case; illustrate each case.
6 What is punctuation? Give rules for principal marks of punctuation.
7 - 10. Write a composition of about 150 words and show therein that you understand the practical use of the rules of grammar.

Arithmetic (Time,1 hour 15 minutes)

1. Name and define the Fundamental Rules of Arithmetic.
2. A wagon box is 2 ft. deep, 10 feet long, and 3 ft. wide. How many bushels of wheat will it h old?
3. If a load of wheat weighs 3,942 lbs., what is it worth at 50cts/bushel, deducting 1,050 lbs. for tare?
4. District No 33 has a valuation of $35,000. What is the necessary levy to carry on a school seven months at $50 per month, and have $104 for incidentals?
5. Find the cost of 6,720 lbs. coal at $6.00 per ton.
6. Find the interest of $512.60 for 8 months and 18 days at 7 percent.
7. What is the cost of 40 boards 12 inches wide and 16 ft. long at $20 per metre?
8. Find bank discount on $300 for 90 days (no grace) at 10 percent.
9. What is the cost of a square farm at $15 per acre, the distance of which is 640 rods?
10. Write a Bank C heck, a Promissory Note, and a Receipt.

U.S. History (Time, 45 minutes)

1. Give the epochs into which U.S. History is divided
2. Give an account of the discovery of America by Columbus.
3. Relate the causes and results of the Revolutionary War.
4. Show the territorial growth of t he United States.
5. Tell what you can of the history of Kansas.
6. Describe three of the most prominent battles of the Rebellion.
7. Who were the following: Morse, Whitney, Fulton, Bell, Lincoln, Penn, and Howe?
8. Name events connected with the following dates: 1607, 1620, 1800, 1849, 1865.

Orthography (Time, one hour)

[Do we even know what this is??]

1. What is meant by the following: alphabet, phonetic, orthography, etymology, syllabication
2. What are elementary sounds? How classified?
3. What are the following, and give examples of each: trigraph, subvocals, diphthong, cognate letters, linguals
4. Give four substitutes for caret 'u.' (HUH?)
5. Give two rules for spelling words with final 'e.' Name two exceptions under each rule.
6. Give two uses of silent letters in spelling. Illustrate each.
7. Define the following prefixes and use in connection with a word: bi, dis, mis, pre, semi, post, non, inter, mono, sup.
8. Mark diacriticall y and divide into syllables the following, and name the sign that indicates the sound: card, ball, mercy, sir, odd, cell, rise, blood, fare, last.
9. Use the following correct ly in sentences: cite, site, sight, fane, fain, feign, vane , vain, vein, raze, raise, rays.
10. Write 10 words frequently mispronounced and indicate pronunciation by use of diacritical marks and by syllabication.

Geography (Time, one hour)

1 What is climate? Upon what does climate depend?
2. How do you account for the extremes of climate in Kansas ?
3. Of what use are rivers? Of what use is the ocean?
4. Describe the mountains of North America.
5. Name and describe the following: Monrovia, Odessa, Denver, Manitoba, Hecla, Yukon, St. Helena, Juan Fernandez, Aspinwall and Orinoco.
6. Name and locate the principal trade centers of the U.S.
7. Name all the republics of Europe and give the capital of each.
8. Why is the Atlantic Coast colder than the Pacific in the same latitude?
9. Describe the process by which the water of the ocean returns to the sources of r ivers.

10. Describe the movements of the earth. Give the inclination of the earth.

Notice that the exam took FIVE HOURS to complete.
 Geketa

Hear, O Israel the L-rd our G-d,the L-rd is one http://www.DHGBoutique.com
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Social Workers knocking on the doors of Home Schoolers----Alert to what is coming
3/11/2008 11:50:04 AM
Judy,  Thank you for taking an interest and making such a strong statement from experience that a great injustice is being perpretated on good people.
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/11/2008 11:56:18 AM

roger,  You bring up the subject curriculum.  Now I can not speak from experience and hope someone will step in here with facts. I am thinking that an approved curriculum is absolutely required.  Now let's say I am wrong.  If the child performs above the state norm who really cares how they got there. Have you missed the point that those who are suc cessful at educating their children are now being threatened with having their children taken away if they do not comply with the law.

How many children are left in their home in harmful situations because the system is so overloaded. So now Calilfornia  law wants to add good honest, hard working parents who care about their children to the system.  Now that is rediculous when they can't physically and mentally protect those who are in REAL danger.

+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/11/2008 12:06:29 PM

Roger,

I can not believe that this came out of your thinking; "Yes resist direct influence by government for as long as you can but please continue to ensure that homeschooling does not become the excuse for those who are too ignorant to value education."

Homeschooling parents have made terrific sacrifices to ensure a top notch education for their chidren.  First of all they are under the direct influence of the government.  All children have the right to an education in America.  How they get it and where they get it does not need to be the governments business under threat of taking the children from caring and loving, self sacrificing parents.

Perhaps a visit to the local prison could provide an eye opener.  Are the residents there in the state run bed and breakfast, graduates of their local high school?  Can they read?  The local cocaine dealer was he homeschooled by lazy parents and his lazy parents taught him that dealing drugs pays well for those who don't want to work? 

You continue to miss the point.  The records of homeschoolers speak for themselves.  The proof of the pudding is in results which these children meet and surpass their counterparts in the public schools. How can results such as that be the end result of lazy parents who don't want to send their child off on the bus where they can be dummed down.

+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/11/2008 12:22:40 PM

Doris,  I read your forum through page 7.  I would be interested in reading your book.  My intent is not to disucss either you nor I.  As previously stated, children are raised in the worst of cirumstances and yet  can be the greatest of people, if they so choose.

My sisters married brothers who were raised in a situation where in today's standards would have been subject to children's services. Each child in my brother inlaws family was mentored by an older sibling when they ran away from home at age 14.  Both became fine gentlemen, with good well paying jobs, and both built beautiful houses for my sisters.  Their children  and grandchildren grew to be fine citizens.  Environment is not the total of anyone.  Attitude and determination with some good examples around create a hot house for success. 

But here we go off subject.  The message of this forum is that when people are successful at educating their chidren the state does not need to be threatening to take away their children.

As for the statement that children are beaten into success to perform  at contests is downright foolish.  Everyone knows you can't force anyone to perform any skill.  The love of learning is tranmitted by kindness, understanding, praise and most of all by taking an interest.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!