Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Geketa Holman

2080 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Social Workers knocking on the doors of Home Schoolers----Alert to what is coming
3/11/2008 11:27:00 PM
Hi again Mary,

I took that test when I first started home_schooling my children and I had a hard time with it , too. I now use it as standard test to make sure my children are ready for high school ..!!

Rae,
I am so glad you found that report I have read it before it is good information thank you for bringing that in ..

On a happier note .. Mary I wanted to update you on what is going on in California with home-school families ..

From the HSLDA E-lert Service...
======================================================================

March 11, 2008

An update to HSLDA Members and Friends on the California Court of
Appeal Decision on Homeschooling:

State Superintendent of Public Instruction Jack O'Connell comes to the
defense of homeschool families. "The California Department of
Education policy will not change in any way as a result of this
ruling. Parents still have the right to homeschool in this state," he
said.

After the Court of Appeal for the Second Appellate District in Los
Angeles ruled on February 28 that parents had to be credentialed
teachers to educate their own children the statement from O'Connell is
encouraging news for the homeschool community.

"O'Connell has it right," said Michael Farris, Chairman of HSLDA. "But
the court decision must still be overturned before homeschool freedom
can be restored in California."

The Court of Appeal ruling shocked the homeschool community because in
one sweeping decision it effectively outlawed homeschooling.

"We hope the statement from O'Connell puts the brakes on any
enforcement action," said Farris.

HSLDA will be pursuing several legal options, including seeking review
by the California Supreme Court and petitioning the same court to
depublish the opinion in order to return California to being a state
where a family can legally homeschool in California without fear.

"We have just started the legal battle to restore homeschool freedom
in California," said Farris.

To visit HSLDA's Info page on this court decision, which has the legal
status, link to the decision, and info on legal grounds for
homeschooling in California, use this link:

Ian Slatter
Director of Media Relations

Hear, O Israel the L-rd our G-d,the L-rd is one http://www.DHGBoutique.com
+0
Sheryl Loch

1260 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: Social Workers knocking on the doors of Home Schoolers----Alert to what is coming
3/12/2008 12:05:45 PM

I was reading on the HSLDA  site that Nebraska is trying to regulate homeschooling. The Governor there said he would VETO the bill if it got that far.  Story =>

http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/ne/200802270.asp

Why? Because he is most likely afraid to let it pass when it would make such a fuss.  

1300 homeschoolers walked into the Nebraska’s Capitol. They took a stand & showed unity. That scares elected officials. They need votes so they would rather just sit quietly & no have no one notice what or who they are affecting with their decisions.

Our government has found that if they keep us all poor, sick, & uneducated then we will conform to what ever they want.

When people are so afraid of the government then they do nothing. We need to stand up for causes that affect us. But, so many people are afraid to miss work because the government has left us poor. We can not afford to loose our job so we do not miss work to go march on a courthouse lawn. Many people do not have the money to drive to the State Capitol. Many are afraid of being arrested & having their kids taken away just for standing up for their rights. We can already see how we have been molded to fit into the grand plan of the government that is filled with people that are wealthier. Greed is ruling our country.

We have allowed Presidents, governors, senators, judges..... go against some of our strongest beliefs & let them keep their positions & pay.

Homeschoolers have already taken a stand against the poor school systems so the government is looking for reasons to reel all of them back in.

People are being changed to fit the needs of the system; the system is not being changed to fit the needs of the people.

Sheryl Loch

+0
3/13/2008 3:11:47 PM
I'll tell you what, I would rather have my child "unschooled" and learn something, than be indoctrinated in the public schools.  Our education here is so wonderful,  90% of graduating students cannot read beyond the 6th grade level, colleges are complaining U.S. students have to take basic math classes before they can take college courses, over-all the dropout level has risen across the nation, and the scariest thing of all is NO high school student knows anything about our constitution (the very foundation this country was built on).  A recent poll of 1000 people could name more Simpson characters than actual US presidents.  We are not a stupid people, we can memorize sports scores going back years, we can follow the latest soap opera, but when it comes to our own education we are so in the dark.  While you might have issues with being kept at home; most homeschoolers are trying to save their children.  It's quite obvious you haven't followed any of the links presented throughout this discussion.  If you think you are really free, ask yourself this:  why wasn't there a national news blitz regarding the decision presented by the courts in California? 
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/16/2008 8:39:16 PM

Hi Brad,  Sorry to be so slow answering here.  You have provided some very good thoughts and reveal your wisdom on this topic.

I am aware of prisons not occupied but was unaware that they number in the hundreds. They have their purpose which does not probably include lawabiding homeschooling parents.

Again thanks for stopping in.

+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/16/2008 8:44:33 PM

Great News, Geketa,

So those who know best recognize the value of homeschooling.  If the California, State Supt. is willing to stand up to the new legislation I can only say "Bravo" for him.  Nice to have him on the side of the parents and just think, lots of lawyers can now stay employed fighting a battle that should never haven taken place.

California, the state always in a financial crunch knows how to create further choas.  

Thanks, Geketa for the update, good news indeed! !  

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!