Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Lydia Fokina

2042 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Today is the Pancake week!
3/10/2008 7:07:46 PM

Valery!

I read your link with great interest, thank You!

"Many people are familiar with Mardi gras celebrations on the day before Lent. But in Liberal, Kansas, the day before Lent means just one thing – it’s Pancake Day.

The friendly little competition between Liberal, Kansas, and Olney, England, with women running down the streets of each town flipping pancakes, has been going on for more than 50 years now. It is still the only race of its kind on the planet ... "

We have not tradition in Russia yet to race with flipping pancakes yet!

Very interesting race! This year Pancakes week is over, but next year we shall do such race in our settlement!

In Russian traditions are many races in times of Pankekes week, before Lent.

+2
Lydia Fokina

2042 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/10/2008 7:14:15 PM

+2
Nick Mys

357 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
3/10/2008 7:29:27 PM

Пою для тебя

+1
Len
Len Berghoef

1472 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
3/11/2008 2:34:12 PM
Hi Lydia,

Maples syrup is very common in North America. Several species of maple trees grow in Michigan (where I live). Though all produce sap suitable for the production of maple syrup, two species of sugar maple (acer saccharum) and black maple (acer nigrum), are the source of sap for most commercial maple production. Sap suitable for conversion into syrup may also be obtained from red and silver maples, though such sap usually has a lower sugar content.

Sugar maple is a common tree throughout most of Michigan. Its greatest concentration in forest stands occurs in the western and northern portions of the state. In addition to its use for sap production, sugar maple is a valuable tree for lumber and is used extensively in fine furniture, It has been widely planted as a shade and ornamental tree.

EQUIPMENT NECESSARY

Maple syrup can be produced with a minimum of equipment, but a few standard items increase the efficiency of the operation and the quality of the product:

1. A drill with a 7/16- or 1/2-inch bit for drilling tap-holes in trees.

2. A metal or plastic collection spout for each tap-hole.

3. A collection container (bucket or plastic bag) or tubing line for each tap-hole.

4. A large pan and a heat source for boiling down the sap. The size needed will depend on how much sap you intend to handle.

5. A large-scale thermometer calibrated at least 15 degrees above the boiling point of water.

6. Wool, orlon or other filters for filtering finished syrup while hot.

7. Storage facilities and containers for the finished syrup.

TAPPING THE TREE

To obtain the earliest runs of sap, tapping should be completed by the middle of February in lower Michigan and by the first week of March in the northern portion of the state. Minimal trunk diameter for trees suitable for tapping is 10 inches at 4 feet above the ground.

To tap a tree, select a spot on the trunk of the tree 2 to 4 feet above the ground in an area that appears to contain sound wood. At this point, drill a hole approximately 2 to 2.5 inches deep into the wood. Then insert a collection spout and tap lightly into the tree, and attach a bucket or plastic bag or a tubing line to the spout. Open buckets used for sap collection should be covered to keep out rainwater, debris, insects and other foreign materials.

Maybe you can give this a try in your area. This could be a big hit!
Lydia's Maple Syrup! :)

Have fun...

Len

Start a 2nd income and get out of debt! http://alturl.com/aw4yv
+1
3/11/2008 2:47:28 PM

Hi dear friend Lidya !

Waderful customs ! In Romania "vareniki" are called "coltsunashi" but as my grandfather were an Ucrainian we use the Russian name. We like a lot "blini" too.

Have a wonderful week !

Love and hugs !

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!