Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Lydia Fokina

2042 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Today is the Pancake week!
2/22/2009 1:30:51 PM

Hello friends,

This year the Pancake Week in Russia begins on February, 23rd and proceeds till March, 1st.
You are ready to meeting?

We call it Maslenitsa, the pagan Slavic holiday celebrating the end of winter and the start of spring. Its roots are deep in our culture and nothing can stop us enjoying it to the full. Or perhaps enjoying it too much.
In pre-Christian Russia, Maslenitsa was the happiest holiday, marking the beginning of work in the fields. Despite the church and the Soviet, it has survived.

Pancake week is celebrated across the country, especially in rural areas, with festivals, singing and dancing, troika rides, storming snow fortresses, and burning effigies of Lady Maslenitsa, who represents winter.

After Russia adopted Christianity in 988, the church tried but failed to suppress the pagan holiday, but eventually Maslenitsa was included in the Orthodox calendar as Cheesefare Week before Lent. The Soviet government also attempted to abolish Maslenitsa as a "bourgeois prejudice". Between 1917 and 1991, the holiday was banned, but was still celebrated in most Russian families, although not as widely and publicly as before the Bolshevik revolution or now in democratic Russia. Street carnivals and troika rides were not allowed, but plenty of good food was always present.

During Pancake week, Russians not only celebrate, but also eat their fill, in preparation for the long fast ahead. Traditional Russian pancakes are round, golden and warm, symbolising a spring sun since ancient times.

Throughout Pancake week, all Russians are happy, and full of hope and expectation. Pancake week ends with a truly Russian, deep and very touching rite – Forgiveness Sunday. On that day, all people ask one another's forgiveness for voluntary or involuntary offences that occurred during the past year. And, surprisingly, they give it readily and willingly.

Based on The Great Russian Linguistic Vocabulary information

Happy meeting spring!

From Russia with love, Lydia

+2
Lydia Fokina

2042 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Today is the Pancake week!
2/24/2012 1:32:48 PM

This year the Pancake Week is selebrating from Feb. 20 to Feb. 26

Масленица 2012 – праздник который еще издавна символизировал окончание зимы и начало весенне-полевых работ, в православном мире это неделя примирения и в то же время подготовка к Великому посту. Во время масленицы нельзя кушать мясо, но можно молоко и молочные продукты, а также рыбу.

Ежегодно дата этого праздника меняется и все зависит от начала Великого поста. Когда же пройдет Масленица 2012, – в этом году Сырная седмица (еще одно наз. Масленицы) пройдет в феврале с 20 по 26 число.

Масленица 2012

Масленица празднуется всегда с особым размахом, особенно на территории РФ. Традиционно в эту неделю проходят народные гулянья с приготовлением большего количества блинов.

Последний день Масленицы в народе называют прощеное Воскресенье,- все православные и верующие люди должны просить друг у друга прощение.

Обряд - проводы Масленицы

Кроме России Масленица в 2012 году будет также отмечатся в Белорусии, Украине и даже в Болгарии.

+2
Branka Babic

1352 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
2/24/2012 3:52:52 PM
Hi Lydia,

Thanks for the reminder! It is a great way to send to spring a welcome note.

I though that only Serbs are celebrating all and everything (still I believe that Serbia has a largest list of holidays and celebrations in this world).

I am not much familiar to Serbian customs and tradition, and sometimes I feel like being fallen from a distant planet. But in our list of the things we celebrate, pancake still misses :).

Enjoy your celebrations dear friend!

+1
Lydia Fokina

2042 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/25/2012 7:03:02 PM
By the way, whether you know, what Feb. 26 2012 is the best day in the 2012 year - day when it is easy to stop to smoke?

It is necessary to leave tonight on a table an empty pack from cigarettes, on it - an empty box from matches and a note: " I do not smoke! ". And tomorrow, on Feb, 27th, 2012 - you any more do not smoke! The maximum forces will help!

+2
Branka Babic

1352 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
2/25/2012 8:47:50 PM
Quote:
By the way, whether you know, what Feb. 26 2012 is the best day in the 2012 year - day when it is easy to stop to smoke?

It is necessary to leave tonight on a table an empty pack from cigarettes, on it - an empty box from matches and a note: " I do not smoke! ". And tomorrow, on Feb, 27th, 2012 - you any more do not smoke! The maximum forces will help!

Lydia, if I didn't have very similar experience, I'd now say "ah, superstition":). On November 17th 1995 I have visited miraculous orthodox monastery Ostrog.

(Cadaver of St. Basilius is exposed in that monastery, AND IT IS FOR OVER 310 YEARS WHOLE - LIKE HE IS SLEEPING - really unbelievable, without being embalmed!!!).

During confession, the monk asked me if I smoke, and I said YES. He told me: "Now, when you'd go downstairs, throw the box of cigarettes over your shoulder, without looking back!" I DID SO, and after that I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT MEANS WORD "CIGARETTE". Also, I didn't mind if anyone smokes in my presence. Simply, I didn't know the meaning of "smoking". That time I smoked cigarettes which was not easy to find in Serbia under international isolation, and ...... I used almost abracadabra methods to get them. Sixth months later, one my client from Germany came to Belgrade, and he brought me a lot of my beloved "Dunhill" (in past, they smelled nicely).

LOL stupid I - to avoid to waste this little treasury hmmmmmmmmmm have started again.

Now I smoke when I wish and do not smoke again when I do not wish,BUT I HATE THIS DISCRIMINATING ACT OF THE TYRANTS GOVERNMENTS, TO PERMIT GAY POPULATION AND DRUGS, BUT TO FORBID OLD GOOD TOBACCO.

I won't go to revolution to storm bankers, BUT TO DEFEND MY HUMAN RIGHT TO SMOKE - YES, I'D GO!

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!