Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Beth Schmillen

3061 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: is this D.B. Cooper ???
3/8/2009 12:49:06 AM

New theories in D.B. Cooper tale

06:04 PM PST on Friday, March 6, 2009
http://www.kgw.com/lifestyle/stories/kgw_030609_lifestyle_D.B._Cooper_science.d9828e4.html

By JIM FORMAN, KING 5 Staff

SEATTLE -- Huddled around rarely seen evidence spread out across the briefing room of the Seattle F.B.I. office, researchers say a new theory is emerging in the D.B. Cooper case.

Scientists test Cooper mystery clues

"Well in D.B. Cooper, there was a fairly recent surprise," said Chicago metallurgist Alan Stone. Stone is referring to bits of metal found on some of the physical evidence from the 1971 hijacking, the only unsolved crime of its kind in U.S. history.

Stone is one of several researchers taking a new look at this old case, and debunking some old myths surrounding the case. Stone can’t get too specific, because he is part of an active investigation. But he will say, "It’s a surprise to find (the metal) where it is."

Rubber bands hold key clues
For decades it has been thought that Cooper, who parachuted out of the back of a Northwest Orient let with $200,000 in ransom money, was separated from his haul during the plunge to earth. Why?

Years after the hijacking, some hikers found some of the loot. At the time experts told the F.B.I. that the money most likely floated down the Columbia River, putting Cooper’s drop zone miles away.

Enter the rubber bands. "We were able to find the original manufacturer of the rubber bands," explains Tom Kaye of Seattle’s Burke Museum. A paleontologist by trade, Kaye says there is no way the rubber bands, which held the money together, could have been in the water long enough to wind downstream.

"They told us that rubber bands only last in the wild 3 or 4 months at the most," Burke adds. "So this is in conflict with the idea that they would be rolling down the river for seven years," begging the question was the money there all along? Burke’s answer a simple, "maybe."

Steady progress, but no a-ha moment
The scientists have been given unprecedented access to mountains of evidence. It is a new look at this old case, which many including the F.B.I. are following closely. The "a- ha" moment says Burke would be finding D.B. Cooper, or his remains, but that everyone agrees is unlikely.

Still, Burke presses on: "Are we getting closer to D.B.? I think we are, time will tell."

Indeed.

+0
Beth Schmillen

3061 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/8/2009 12:51:24 AM

New D.B. Cooper Theory

Researchers are taking a fresh look at the D.B. Cooper case. Paleontologist Tom Kaye has been examining the tattered Cooper bills as well as testing how the money, thought to have been separated from Cooper during his skydive, could have made it down the Columbia River. He has also looked into how long the rubber bands which held the bundles of loot together could have lasted in the wild. According to Kaye, not long enough to allow the ransom money to get downstream to where some of it was found. Get more details and several video reports at KGW-TV.

from CoasttoCoastAM.com
+0
Beth Schmillen

3061 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/8/2009 12:56:10 AM
YouTube Video

DB Coope

((youtube id="A5wARW8FcF0&hl"))((/youtube))
+0
Beth Schmillen

3061 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/8/2009 12:59:22 AM

news update DB Cooper

((youtube id="URpMaQ3WVj4"))((/youtube))
+0
Beth Schmillen

3061 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
3/8/2009 1:04:59 AM

Here's a DB Cooper YouTube video featuring CoasttoCoastam.com host Ian Punnett

((youtube id="dN3cAOs2AqA"))((/youtube))
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!