Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Berries, Berries, Berries !
12/2/2007 9:13:30 PM
30 Days To Wellness
A Public Service Campaign of
The Wholefood Farmacy

Day 20 - Berries

Antioxidants are natural substances found in plants, which are known to aid in the prevention of heart disease, cancer and stroke.  Berries have an especially high level of antioxidants, according to a recent study published in the journal BioFactors (Vol. 23, pages 197-205).

The pigments that give berries their rich red to blue, black and purple colors are a type of phytochemical that has been shown to have significant disease-fighting, cell-protecting antioxidant capacity.  In addition to boosting your immune system, these valuable compounds are also known to slow the effects of aging by improving things like memory, balance, coordination and motor skills.

The Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity (ORAC Value) of foods is a measurement of the Antioxidant levels. The higher the ORAC Value, the more Antioxidants a food has. It's believed that foods high in these powerful nutrients give the body its greatest protection.

Berries are some of the most delicious and powerful disease-fighting foods available. Blueberries are among fruits and vegetables with the highest Antioxidant levels with an ORAC Value of 5486. Right behind blueberries are blackberries with an ORAC Value of 4654; strawberries at 3520 and raspberries, 2789. Berry ORAC levels top that of many other fruits and vegetables such as oranges, grapefruit, cherries, plums, brussell sprouts, broccoli and spinach.

Single servings of fresh or freshly cooked fruits and vegetables supply an average of 600-800 ORAC units. Scientists believe that increasing intake of foods that provide 2000-5000 units per day may be needed to increase serum and tissue antioxidant activity sufficiently to improve health outcomes. This is why it's important to eat 5 to 9 servings daily of fruits and vegetables.

The Wholefood Farmacy makes it easy and convenient to get your 5 to 9 servings each day and to enjoy the very best that nature has to offer.  You can find many different types of berries in your favorite Wholefood Farmacy foods including Phi Plus, Cranberry Phi, Coco Cherry Phi, Fruitalicious & Fruitalicious Plus.

Visit The Wholefood Farmacy
+0
Steven Suchar

13302 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Berries, Berries, Berries !
12/2/2007 9:47:26 PM
+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/2/2007 9:48:25 PM

Rosemary

Rosemary has so many uses it is hard to pick only a few.  It is used as a refreshing scent for air freshner, added to bath water for a wonderful experience, used as a tonic and astringent, and an attractive herb for the garden.

Rosemary can be used with most all meats and many vegetables.  Do you have a favorite dish using Rosemary?  We would love to hear about it.

Fresh Rosemary can be frozen and used by stripping off the amount of leaves you need.  Its taste is also stronger after being frozen.

+0
12/2/2007 10:29:26 PM

Hi Linda,

Thanks for doing such a great post on the benefits of antioxidants found in berries. The berry is an excellent source, especially the blueberry, raspberry, and strawberry...which can be found in the Fruit Stix by Jerky Direct.

I love the Fruit Stix, that is what I order every month. It also has Krill oil in it which is also very good for the body!

TRY THEM EVERYONE...THEY ARE GREAT!!

GirlyTags.com - Girly Comments & Graphics

Marilyn L Martin
"The ALP & TGAMM Couple"
"Rick & Marilyn Martin...Married 11/17/06"
Spiderweb Marketing http://thespiderwebsystem.com/jamila

Traffic Tornado
http://traffictornado.com/x/p2.cgi/6053/

+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/2/2007 11:30:13 PM
Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!