Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Venerina Conti

1305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
I do not usually react - But I am Outraged at this!!!! ... Gillian Gibbons
11/30/2007 8:31:29 AM
By Sky News SkyNews - 1 hour 21 minutes ago

Thousands of people are marching in Khartoum calling for British teacher Gillian Gibbons to be executed.

The 54-year-old has been jailed for blasphemy in Sudan after naming a teddy bear Mohammed but the crowds say her 15-day sentence is too lenient.

The protesters took to the streets carrying knives and sticks, chanting "shame on the UK" and "kill her by firing squad".

Gillian Gibbons escaped conviction on a more serious charge of inciting hatred, for which she could have faced 40 lashes or six months in prison.

She was expected to serve her term at a women's prison near the capital, Khartoum, before being deported to the UK.

Britain has expressed "in the strongest terms" its concern at the verdict and Foreign Secretary David Miliband summoned the Sudanese ambassador. He also spoke to the Sudanese Acting Foreign Minister.

Britain has expressed "in the strongest terms" its concern at the verdict and Foreign Secretary David Miliband summoned the Sudanese ambassador. He also spoke to the Sudanese Acting Foreign Minister.

The Foreign Office said earlier they were seeking "swift resolution of this issue" and maintain Mrs Gibbons is guilty of nothing more than a simple misunderstanding.

During her sentencing, UK consular staff were denied access to the court and riot police surrounded the building while the media were barred from entering.

School director Robert Boulos called the verdict "very fair" adding: "She could have had six months and lashes and a fine and she only got 15 days and deportation."

The school would not appeal against the decision, he added.

Dr Muhammad Abdul Bari, secretary general of the Muslim Council of Britain, said he was "appalled" at the decision to convict her.

My dear friends

I am outraged at this article.  Why was this woman ever sentenced or even arrested in the first place?

I have a great deal of respect for Muslims and their culture/beliefs and religion but this is absurd!!!

Naming a teddy bear Mohammed should be considered an honourable thing.  It keeps the great Prophet's name alive and the religious beliefs associated with him in the forefront of children's minds.

Many children have the name Mohammed.  It is a common name in the Muslim world.  Should the parents who name their child after the Prophet therefore be arrested as well ?

What is the world coming to?  Is this the path to brotherly love and mutual respect.  I find this proposterous !!!

+0
Re: I do not usually react - But I am Outraged at this!!!! ... Gillian Gibbons
11/30/2007 8:47:02 AM
Isn't this the same Goverment that tolerates the tradegy in Dafur!  It is no wonder,
all aid and assistance hould be ceased to these type of countries.

Until the citizens of these countries wake up they should fend for themselves.

Nap Jones

Stop working for pennies and cents and move up to real good commissions http://www.commissionriver.com/publisher_signup.html?crid=10969
+0
Robert De Merode

669 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
11/30/2007 9:04:44 AM

The country of the Mahdi! It's still in their blood. and that's exactly what Islamism is all about. It will only get worse, but please no critics, because they do have some oil!

Regards.

+0
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/30/2007 9:15:48 AM
Perhaps the worst thing is that she did not choose the name-the children did and spoke up to say so!
Let us pray that this is the final straw that will make the people stand up to this lunacy. I think if it were me I would just rather be shot and get it over with than to endure this day to day mind erroding bullying by such ignorant tyrants.
+0
11/30/2007 9:24:10 AM

Venerina,

So am I.  It is outrageous and I hope they get her out of the country very soon, it is the only hope for her.  Why do these people want to keep slaughtering people, others and their own - all in the name of Muhammed.  Basically I believe we all have the same God, just by different names, but my God would not condone these actions.

So we need to pray to our God who is the True One to bring about justice.

Thank you,

Sara

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!