Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
John Crawford

180 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: The Doc is IN..."
1/2/2007 8:53:05 PM

Lawton,

Thanks for your post.  As you probably know, the University of Arizona in Tucson here where I live started the first Integrative Medicine Residency program several years ago under the direction of Dr. Andrew Weil and since then some of the graduates have opened new such programs elsewhere in the country.  Therefore, Tucson may be considered one of the meccas, so to speak, for the integrative medicine movement.

JTC

+0
1/2/2007 10:48:28 PM

Hi John, thanks for starting this forum, I look forward to reading as you get further along with questions.

As my profile shows I am a success story, recovering from RA.  I've learned so much over the years thanks to a doctor who was willing to spend the time discussing all my ideas on how I could find recovery and of course my own willingness to text and document my progress.

I believe when we have more doctors integrating holistic methods with traditional medicine we will then find we live longer, with better health.  It's not enough to live a long life of suffering.

I have one question for you.  Since I, at this time, don't even have a doctor (mine retired) can you tell me what you know about RA in regards to inflamation over the top of the foot (the lace area)  I have a band of inflamation causing trouble this Xmas season.  I believe the concern, if this continues is that over time it will cause my arch to flatten out.

I know I can fix this over the next week or two, now that I'm not being tempted by all the wrong foods and limited sleep, but how much damage am I doing allowing this pain and inflamation to go on for say 2 weeks at a time, generally only happens one or two times per year.

Susan Dorey www.LivingWithRheumatoidArthritis.com
+0
John Crawford

180 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
1/2/2007 11:11:21 PM

Susan,

Overall, it sounds as though you are doing very well controlling your RA.

With regards to your foot.  Is this the only joint that is currently involved?

You also alluded to being able to "fix it" after having "enjoyed the holidays" with the wrong foods, etc.  IF your foot has only flared up over the holidays, then I would not expect you to do any permanent damage to it.  Do you have osteoarthritis or gouty arthritis on top of the RA?  Just wondering.  Has it been red and warm?  When one foot "flares" like that due to eating or drinking too much of a "good thing" it makes me think of perhaps a gout attack which we see commonly around the holidays.  As you know, someone can also have osteoarthritis or gout in addition to rheumatoid arthritis.  Have you been checked for gout in the past?  When you say that you only occasionally get this occuring in ONE foot 1-2 times/year, that also makes me think of an attack of gout.  That is very typical of a gout flare.  Just a thought....

Hopefully Susan, I have given some insight for you, although I am sure that you are very well read on arthritic conditions.

JTC

+0
Larry Blethen

2241 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/2/2007 11:15:45 PM

hello John...this could be interesting to see what happens here

Larry

Larry Blethen http://www.bluelight-marketing.com larry.blethen@bluelight-marketing.com, 304-369-5603
+0
John Crawford

180 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
1/2/2007 11:30:53 PM

Thanks Larry.  Never tried anything like this before, but I think there is a need for it and it is something I thought I would try at least on a trial basis. This is a rather large group and we will see what the response is. So many patients are frustrated with healthcare the way it is, including myself, and are merely looking for some direction. 

I am not wanting to diagnose anything here, but hopefully direct individuals to the proper channels to get answers to their questions or at least an opinion. I hope it will be a service. 

I do have links on my personal website (www.babyboomersdoc.com) where you can research any health or medical topic and get the latest research developments and treatments. 

Talk to you later.

JTC

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!