Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
New Years Reflections and Resolutions...Top Ten List
12/30/2006 3:17:25 PM

Hi Friends, I discovered this article about New Years Resolutions and I thought I'd share it with you. This is an interactive type letter, and I'd like you to take the time to fill out the questionaire. Of course it is not mandatory, but will help each one individually. I wish you each the best in the New Year, and may it be prosperous in many ways!

--------------------------

Reflections - A Top Ten List of Year-End Questions
By Michael Angier

In order to embrace the new we must release the old. A trapeze artist cannot swing from one bar to another without letting go. An important part of preparing for a New Year is to review the past year--to release it--and to learn from it.

To go where we wish to go and be whom we wish to be, we need to know where we are and who we are. An honest self-analysis is always helpful to gain clarity. As we end a year, it seems particularly fitting to devote some time to reflecting on the year past and where we find ourselves as the New Year dawns.

The following questions should stimulate your thinking for this process. Enter into discussions with people you care about. Write out your thoughts and feelings. Do some journal writing. Consider writing a letter--an end-of the-year-epistle to yourself. It could be profound to write it and valuable to read it in the years ahead.

Reflect upon what you did, how you felt, what you liked, what you didn't like and what you learned. Try to look at yourself and your experience with as much objectivity as you can …much like a biographer would.

Here are some suggestions to get you started in thinking over the past year or perhaps the last decade. Feel free to add your own questions too.

1. What did I learn? (Skills, knowledge, awareness', etc.)

2. What did I accomplish? (List of my wins and achievements.)

3. What would I have done differently? Why?

4. What did I complete or release? What still feels incomplete to me?

5. What were the most significant events of the year past? List the top three.

6. What did I do right? What do I feel especially good about? What was my greatest contribution?

7. What were the fun things I did? What were the things that were not fun?

8. What were my biggest challenges, roadblocks or difficulties?

9. How am I different this year than last?

10. For what am I particularly grateful?

Another suggestion: Consider listing all the things in your life of which you'd like to let go … anything you no longer want. Give thanks for what they've brought you in terms of learning and usefulness and then burn the list. It's a symbolic gesture to help you release the old and be open to the new. The next step is to list what you DO want … experiences, knowledge, material things, relationships, healings, whatever.

In doing this, you'll be using the principle of vacuum …releasing what you don't want and embracing what you do. Each New Year's Eve, my wife and I, along with several friends and close family members will light a bonfire and burn our lists as well as a few other articles that represent something we no longer desire in our lives. For example, I plan to burn an old (and too big) article of clothing to symbolize a less-than impeccable wardrobe and garments that belong to a heavier person than I am and will be.

Use your year-end as a time to reflect, learn and grow. This will prepare you for a positive New Year ahead.

© Copyright 1995-2001 Success Networks International.
Success Net is a worldwide association committed to helping people become more knowledgeable, productive and effective. Their mission is to inform, inspire and empower people to be their best-personally and professionally. Free subscriptions, memberships, books and SuccessMark™

-----------------------------

+0
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: New Years Reflections and Resolutions...Top Ten List
12/30/2006 3:48:04 PM

I will start with question number one:

What did I learn? (Skills, knowledge, awareness', etc.)

I believe the most important thing I learned this year, is that some friends come and go. I learned to really appreciate my friends who have stuck by my side when times are tough and when times are good. They say you really know a true friend, because they will be there when you need them most.

I received a phone call the other day from a good friend whom I have known now for several years. He made my day, by saying something simple like this: "I miss your handshake." I've been out of town for about six weeks now, and that meant more to me than words can express.

The older I get, the more I realize how fragile life is, how much I really don't know. I like to glean information from my older friends who have been successful in life, particularly those who are spiritual, and who truly walk with God.  In this case, I would say my parents are true friends, and have supported me through thick and thin. Of course they come from a different era, but their christian values mean more to me each passing year, and I thank them for their life of love and support, especially to those folks who are less fortunate than they are.

My good friend Arnold Dyer passed away a couple weeks ago. He almost made it to 90 years old. I have known Arnold and his family ever since I was 5 years old. I probably learned more ways to be economical from him. He also taught me some things about real estate I probably would have had to learn the hard way. He was dependable, he loved the Lord, and he loved to help those who were less fortunate than he was. I was somewhat hurt because there was no service for him when he passed.

As far as new skills, I have taken a new job in South Florida, and I am flying the Caribean. It is a new experience to me, and has been a challenge, I have flown to many places, and now I can add most of the islands to that list! I have learned a new avenue for income revenue.

+0
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/7/2007 10:42:02 AM

Well, since no-one has bothered to respond to my new years resolution top ten list, I will assume that most of you have already broken your resolutions. Most do in the first week of the new year. I will give an answer to the number two question:

2. What did I accomplish? (List of my wins and achievements.)

Last year was a troublesome one for me. Even though I did not accomplish everything that I set out to do, I did accomplish a few important things. One of those was to learn how to build a website.

+0
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/7/2007 11:18:25 AM

Hi Jim,

1. What did I learn in 2006?  To participate more, that really worked! 

2. What did I accomplish?  Online, I made a lot of new friends, concentrated on the details of programs I was promoting, and did much better than in previous years in both areas...people and marketing!

I also organized my home workspace so I can actually get things done instead of wasting time rummaging thru my desk looking for everything I need.

+0
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/7/2007 1:48:19 PM

Hi Kathleen, organization is something that doesn't come naturally for me! Of course in the cockpit, organization is mandatory. When it comes to keeping my desk clean so I can find things, well, that's another story! Winter/Spring house cleaning usually helps! Thanks for stopping by!

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!