Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - VINCENT VAN GOGH
5/2/2013 1:43:13 AM
Only a few years have elapsed, it is 1885 now, and this and the next work evidence an enormous advance in Van Gogh's unconscious? search for his own definite style.

Vincent Van Gogh - The Parsonage Garden at Neunen in the Snow
(oil on canvas, 1885)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/2/2013 1:59:48 AM
Another work of 1885, and Van Gogh's characteristic undulating lines can already be clearly perceived both in the sky and the land with the trees showing them as well. I don't know if this has been pondered before, but did Van Gogh really see those lines and forms in nature? I believe he did.

Vincent Van Gogh - Landscape with Church and Farms
(oil on canvas, 1885)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/2/2013 2:40:14 AM
At the time, Van Gogh was powerfully attracted by the works of Japaneese engravers like Hiroshigue and others (view here) and begins to use a more colorful palette and also quick, short traces that are immensely expressive in his paintings. The first and pretty unknown work shown immediately below and the rather famous one at the bottom are almost Oriental in their conception and style.

Vincent Van Gogh - The Entrance of a Belvedere
(watercolor, 1887)

Vincent Van Gogh - The Langlois Bridge at Arles with Women Washing
(oil on canvas, 1888)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/2/2013 2:59:54 AM
Both the short and swift traces and the undulating forms would shortly be incorporated even in Van Gogh's self-portraits with extraordinary results. The transition can be appreciated between the two masterpieces below.

Vincent Van Gogh - Self Portrait with a Dark Felt Hat
(oil on canvas, 1886)

Vincent Van Gogh - Self Portrait with a Grey Felt Hat
(oil on board, 1886 - 1887)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/2/2013 3:12:11 AM
And in these two other self-portraits of later date the swift traces and the undulating lines and forms are still more acute. By the way, both are equally outstanding mastepieces - perhaps more so.

Vincent Van Gogh - Self Portrait
(oil on canvas, 1887)

Vincent Van Gogh - Self Portrait
(oil on canvas, 1887)

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!