Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - VINCENT VAN GOGH
5/1/2013 5:20:32 PM
And now, dear friends, despite the many years elapsed (more than five!) I would like to post a few of Vincent Van Gogh's masterpieces that I have been able to find during a swift research of the best related material on the Internet. By way of an introduction, though, let me start with a short but priceless video clip showing his varied self-portraits and, immediately afterwards, with another, more lengthy but equally priceless video that deals with this great, inimitable artist's hazardous life and works.

Subido el 03/07/2007

by Philip Scott Johnson

Vincent Van Gogh
Dutch Artist
1853-1890

"Self Portraits"

Higher resolution version:
http://www.vimeo.com/2107922

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/1/2013 5:27:54 PM
This second, equally precious but much lenghtier gem of a video was produced by the BBC. I hope you enjoy it.

The Power of Art - Van Gogh (complete episode)

Subido el 26/01/2012

The complete series: http://gekos.no/workshop/video.html
The Dutch Post-Impressionist master.
Van Gogh spent his early life as an art dealer, teacher and preacher in England, Holland and Belgium. His period as an artist began in 1881 when he chose to study art in Brussels, starting with watercolours and moving quickly on to oils. The French countryside was a major influence on his life and his early work was dominated by sombre, earthy colours depicting peasant workers, the most famous of which is The Potato Eaters, 1885.

It was during Van Gogh's studies in Paris (1886-8) that he developed the individual style of brushwork and use of colour that made his name. In 1888 he moved to Arles where the Provençal landscape provided his best-known subject matter. However, it also marked the start of his mental crisis following an argument with his contemporary Paul Gauguin. Van Gogh was committed to a mental asylum in 1889 where he continued to paint, but he committed suicide in 1890.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/2/2013 12:51:58 AM

Portrait of the artist, 1889 (click on image to enlarge)

Vincent Van Gogh - Self-Portrait (1889)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/2/2013 1:01:48 AM
Dear friends, although this gouache does not have a date listed, it is sure to belong to the period where the artist was still finding a style. Even so, it does show Van Gogh's outstanding artistic capabilities.

Vincent Van Gogh - The Beach at Scheveningen
(gouache, no date listed)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/2/2013 1:18:32 AM
In this simple, beautiful and definitely impressionist work produced probably only one year after he painted the gouache shown in my previous post, Vincent Van Gogh's style was clearly more his own.

Vincent Van Gogh - The Old Tower in the Fields
(painted 1883 - no further details available)

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!