Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - JOHN CONSTABLE
10/4/2006 11:56:10 PM

Dear Jill,

What can I say? Such kindness confuses me. I have just made some decisions on the paintings to show, and regarding history, I have mostly copied and pasted and put everything together. One thing, however, is true: I have tried to make it refreshing.

Best Wishes,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo 

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/22/2013 10:04:40 AM
Dear friends,

Roger MaDivitt, a great friend and contributor to this forum, posted the following at another of its threads (here):

I know that this image will feature soon in Miguels forums. Miguel loves the work of Constable and this is a gem in The Frick Collection.

Salisbury Cathedral from the Bishop's Garden

John Constable 1826.

I am sure Miguel will find a better enlargeable copy.

Note: See my next post for my reply.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Branka Babic

1352 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
RE: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - JOHN CONSTABLE
4/22/2013 10:10:24 AM
Quote:
Dear friends,

Roger MaDivitt, a great friend and contributor to this forum, posted the following at another of its threads (here):

I know that this image will feature soon in Miguels forums. Miguel loves the work of Constable and this is a gem in The Frick Collection.

Salisbury Cathedral from the Bishop's Garden

John Constable 1826.

I am sure Miguel will find a better enlargeable copy.

Note: See next post for my reply.

Miguel, you and Roger simply are precious in my life, thanks so much to the both.
I wished I was emotionally prepared for this thread.

Time passes by, and reason works his job of course, but emotions are wild winds.
When you are sure you've saddled them, they transparently show who is older :(.
Dear and unforgettable posters to this thread ...

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/22/2013 10:11:01 AM

But there are several versions of this wonderful painting, Roger. I was curious about the difference in the year and above all in the clouds, so I have just searched for John Constable's versions of this wonderful painting and have found at least three.

In the first place, the one you posted is of 1826 and its title is 'Salisbury Cathedral from the Bishop's Garden'. In effect, it is treasured in the Frick Museum.

But with the title
'Salisbury Cathedral from the Bishop's Grounds' there are these slightly differing other versions:

1820 - I found this one in the Artchive (here) (no couple strolling on its left-hand side).
T
reasured in the National Gallery of Canada, Ottawa

1823 - The version I show as the enlarged version in my thread which I took from the
Art Renewal Center
here (it was completed in 1826 and is treasured
in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, also in New York)

1823 - The one shown in the CGFA Online Museum here (treasured in the
Victoria and Albert Museum, London)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - JOHN CONSTABLE
4/22/2013 10:47:37 AM
Dear Branka, you are precious in my life, too and I am sure in Roger's life as well.

You are right, but
at the time I did this thread it seems I thought only one of this master's works could be featured - I sincerely don't know why. Only later did I begin to show more works per thread of any given master but if I remember well, it only was from the one dedicated to Hieronymus Bosch that I did so. If time permits now, I hope to revitalize the main previous threads by showing more works, et cetera.

Thanks for showing up and posting back
in this thread after so long,

Miguel

P.S. Jill was a jewel in her own right, indeed the best visitor ever to this forum. Wish I could resuscitate her as I want to with some topics here.

Quote:

Miguel, you and Roger simply are precious in my life, thanks so much to the both.
I wished I was emotionally prepared for this thread.

Time passes by, and reason works his job of course, but emotions are wild winds.
When you are sure you've saddled them, they transparently show who is older :(.
Dear and unforgettable posters to this thread ...

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!