Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - JOHN CONSTABLE
10/3/2006 9:43:34 AM

Dear Adland Friends,

As my third introductory release in this exhibition of great master works in the world history, I would like to feature this time the English Romantic painter John Constable, one of the most important landscape painters of all times both in oil and watercolor painting.

While it was with the Flemish school of painting that landscapes became a motive on its own - and no longer a simple ornament to the portrayal of an individual or a group of people - it was only with the British School of Art that people more or less disappeared in landscape painting. This did not deter painters from portraying people, although they would be shown now almost exclusively within the closed spaces of elegant rooms.

Other great British landscape painters are the Rococo Thomas Gainsborough (1727-1788) and the Romantic Joseph Mallord William Turner (1775-1851).

Again, good feedback is welcome.

Thank you,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING

(click on image to enlarge)

Salisbury Cathedral from
The Meadows
(1)

by
John Constable

born June 11, 1776, East Bergholt, Suffolk, England
died March 31, 1837, London

Profile (2)

Major figure in English landscape painting in the early 19th century, he is best known for his paintings of the English countryside, particularly those representing his native valley of the River Stour, an area that came
to be known as “Constable country.”

Constable was a significant painter during a period when landscape was a dominant genre in British art. His oeuvre was unique in that he usually did not elect to paint places popular with the touring public or other artists, but rather concentrated on sites with which he had family connections, or where, for personal reasons, he happened to be. And while other artists made oil sketches, none did so as extensively and intensively as Constable. His landscapes represent a sometimes astonishing capacity to represent natural appearances—particularly, in his later years, the fleeting and dramatic effects of stormy skies—as well as a profound and prolonged meditation on the rural realities of a Britain undergoing a bewildering socioeconomic transformation.

Technical data (3)

Salisbury Cathedral from the Meadows
Oil on canvas
59 3/4 x 74 3/4 inches (151.8 x 189.9 cm)
Private collection

(1) This image is a courtesy of Art Renewal Center.

(2) Source: Encyclopaedia Britannica Online.

(3) Source: Art Renewal Center.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Jenny SJ

1902 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - JOHN CONSTABLE
10/3/2006 12:44:50 PM
Hello Luis Miguel,

I dont know what to say to you except to say Thank You for giving us the opportunity to see works of such great beauty at Adland.

A fabulous painting from one of England's greatest artists.  It is a real pleasure to visit your forum.

Saludos
Jenny

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/3/2006 2:22:43 PM
Dear Jenny,

It's I who don't know how to thank you, both for coming to my forum and for saying such nice words; not to mention your lending a helping hand whenever needed. 

As to the painting: yes, it is fabulous. I have had this word "fabulous" most frequently in my mind when looking in my files to select a masterpiece for a new thread; a most difficult task.

Best Wishes,

Luis Miguel G.  

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Deborah Skovron

2979 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/3/2006 3:05:24 PM

Hi Luis,

This forum is great. I love to go to art galleries, but sometimes I just don't get the time.

Now I can just stay home and come here to see the Masters.

Thank you Luis.

Your Good Friend

Deborah

BrandName Kidswear starting at $2.65. http://debs-kids.com 12 Page Book thats creating miracles...FREE http://www.debs-kids.com/star-thrower.pdf Where Money Grows Like Kids
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/3/2006 4:56:54 PM
Dear Deborah,

I am very happy that you like it and enjoy seeing the masters. I will always try to post a masterpiece worthy of your visitis to this forum. 

Best Wishes,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!