Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Bonnie Dale

45 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: A (New?) Virus Disease at Adland!!
9/23/2006 7:28:30 PM

Thank you Jenny--Great Post

My Granma used to tell me to be careful of what I say, cause I never know which words I will have to eat.  I think the same should apply when we write it down.  Even tho we are not sitting face to face, we should still show respect to each other.

+0
9/23/2006 7:39:21 PM
I think another good piece of advice about posting in forums is to make sure you proofread. Sometimes what you intend to say isn't what comes out. The true meaning can sometimes be difficult to convey in the written word. One word out of place can change the meaning dramatically, and we also have to consider the "tone" that someone might put in with their own mind when they read your posts.

In your mind, you might be meaning to be playful or sarcastic and intending to joke about something, and someone might come along who takes it literrally and is offended by it. So be careful how you choose to convey your message. Not everyone is amused by sarcasm and not everyone understands it.

You also have to remember that this is an international forum where people who have different cultures and different mannerisms are present at all times. Do you want to offend them? Then watch how you phrase your comments. What you might find funny might be a terrible insult to them.

Becky
DID YOU KNOW? The U.S. Social Security Board reports that 85 out of 100 Americans reaching age 65 don't possess as much as $250. And only 2% are self-sustaining (the rest dependent on family, church, or the government)! Want to know what the "2-percenters" know that you don't? www.sfi4.com/11579740/FREE
+0
Roger Bjornerud

1658 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
9/23/2006 7:52:07 PM
Hi Jenny, Your post is very important, expecially if you consider these factors at the same time: Even a "perfectly" written post can be misunderstood. Typos, even the smallest, can change everything. English can be the posters second language, even third.. Some people actually drink something sometimes. Have to have this category too: Some people seem to misunderstand everything on purpose. Or worse: You misunderstand something someone else misunderstood. Doesn't take too much imagination to see things go terribly wrong. This is why I would ask anyone that posts anything that upsets me if they really wrote (and mean) what I thought they did. Personal message works fine, depends on the post. Their answer dictates my future actions. This should give me time to calm down and cancels the need for me to remove any foots from my mouth.
Roger Bjornerud - Back from vacation - Planning the next :)
roger.bjornerud@gmail.com

Free Leads System . Click here to visit my Blog 5 Key Formula Steps

+0
Roger Bjornerud

1658 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
9/23/2006 8:04:43 PM
Hi Becky, Interesting that we wrote a similar piece almost at the same time.:) I should learn to type faster (or was it think?).. (Competitive and wants to be first..) I tried to joke once. I think I even mentioned that I was joking in the post with the "joke". The owner of the forum didn't get my joke and deleted the post. I sent a personal message (pm for those who like abbrevations), but didn't receive a reply. Obviously it is no point for me to try to joke with this person ever again, and I hope I remember it. ;)
Roger Bjornerud - Back from vacation - Planning the next :)
roger.bjornerud@gmail.com

Free Leads System . Click here to visit my Blog 5 Key Formula Steps

+0
Jenny SJ

1902 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/23/2006 8:12:52 PM
Rebecca, you have just made a very valid point , or two or three as it happens.

Proof reading - yes, we are terribly sloppy at Adland about our spelling and grammar - and I am not referring to people with English as their second language. And that can lead to some big misunderstandings.

For the most part I suspect it is laziness. and I am not talking about normal spelling errors.    I can spell quite adequately, but if I dont bother to check a post before I send it,  I then have to follow that forum looking at my spelling mistakes glaring at me every time I read it!!

So yes, We need to add another cure for the IPF  virus.

Think before you post and Check your post again before you send it

And you are right to point out that this an international community and, like wine,  not all humour travels well - and that can include humour from State to State within the US too.  It is certainly wise to take into account of the writer's nationality before you jump in and the readers' many nationalities when you reply.

I dont think it is possible to anticipate the state of mind of the reader, unless you know that you are treading on obviously friendly or hostile territory - but if you show respect, most posts wont offend most people.

And Roger, on a lighter note, your own category  was definitely a serious omission from the list
Some people seem to misunderstand everything on purpose

Saludos
Jenny

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!