Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Garden Friends-Welcome to the Garden
8/12/2006 9:16:09 AM

Hello garden lovers, my gardening friends,

Mint had grown out of hand as it always does.  A pine tree was lost in an ice storm two winters ago, so a shade spot became a sunny spot along the patio fence.  The vining plants, mint, and a plant that puts out shoots like a strawberry plant (I'm no expert on plant names) just flooded the area.  Week after week, I tell myself to clean the area out.  Neglect became the attraction to some special friends. The yellow finch with its black wings have become rare as has many of our songbirds because we in America have crows, black birds, and some other mean birds that have caused some birds to become extinct.

For several days I noticed a yellow finch perch on the mint (that tells you how hight it is) and eat the aphids.  There was always, I thought,  a little sparrow sitting alongside.  The use of binoculars revealed it was the the female.  Then there appeared a third yellow finch.  Each day standing at the kitchen window I delight seeing them feed on my less than perfect garden.

The yellow finch with its black wings have become rare as has many of our songbirds because we in America have crows, black birds, and some other mean birds that have caused some birds to become extinct.

A rather large brown toad has found this a good place to hide and stay safe altho I came close to stepping on it.

This morning it was a most exciting event when a hummingbird approached the mint only to spy bright red flowers blooming that looked more yummy.  The littlest of the bird kingdom entertained me while I made my cup of tea.

Do you have friends in the garden that visit you to bring you joy? Please stop in and leave us news of who has been visiting you and your garden.  Come often and meet other garden friends.

http://shophereandplayhere.com  for garden and yard supplies

Scroll to Amazon-choose kitchen and Housewares, put housewares and aprons in the search box. or scroll to Amazon, choose Kitchen /housewares, put home garden and aprons in the search boxes Not a member of Adlandpro? Well then come join us and you can visit and post on our garden forum. http://community.adlandpro.com/registeruser.aspxref=mahofst
+0
Mike Eldred

237 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Garden Friends-Welcome to the Garden
8/12/2006 9:47:27 AM
Hello Mary,  I caught your post in the display window. Very nice description.  My mothers back porch is a haven for humming birds. she keeps them a supply of hanging nector feeders.. they are something to watch when the adults try to guard the feeders from the younger ones. it turns into quite a feat when there are feeders also on the front porch. They even chance the bees away that try to steal a treat.. But at my aunts the bees chance the humming birds, I guess that is all in charactor like people.  She has for years made sure her animal friends have food all year long.. Being on the Delaware river and away from town she has many wild friends. Even Turkeys, and an occassional black bear will claim the feeders. She even had an injured white tail stay the winter by bedding itself at the foot of the chimney.. As a child I once was playing in the snow and then covered myself with lots of birdfeed and layed very still, soon haveing lots of chicadees feeding all around me.. Mom had stopped to check on an Possum that was hit in the road. being spring time she wondered if it was carrieing babies. She felt its belly for movement and sure enough, in the pouch was 6 babies.. It took them a few days to learn to eat from a eyedropper. We fed them cat food when they got bigger. They loved Bannanas.. we played with them like kittens and they were just as playfull. I would walk around the yard with them (holding on) to my pants like they would the backs of their mother, by biteing and clawing. they finaly decided to go on their own.. We should all remember our wild friends. You might be interested in this:: For better plant and flower growth please check out a site I found a while back. Its for the few that know of it (ONLY) no stores have this product line to keep costs down, and availability plentafull.

http://www.1shoppingcart.com/app/?af=342598

have a great day..

The total time working out ways your time with family.
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/12/2006 10:02:54 AM

Hi Mike,

The best forums are the ones you happen onto by chance.  Thank you for the wonderful stories. Sav ing the babies was the greatest.

Respect nature is a lesson to teach all children.

Come back often.

+0
8/12/2006 10:10:11 AM

Hi

Humming birds are what I have all summer long! They are a joy to see these delicate and so tiny little furry friends. When my honeysuckle blooms it's full of bees, humming birds that feed off of it and other birds too. Now it feeds tons of other birds as it's little red cherries, that tree gives much food to a lot of birds and animals.

Now, it's the "Tiger Lillie's" that these beautiful birds feeds on. I sit on my front porch and just watch them with my binoculars as their so tiny washing themselves! I sit in my living room and out my window I see them bouncing flower to flower, it's so beautiful to see!

Thanks to the invite Mary, I enjoyed the walk through our gardens. Have yourself a great day and weekend.

Warm Regards

Speak out & pass it on !!!
Broadcast Decency, UVACA

+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/12/2006 10:36:21 AM

Hi Florence,

You reminded me that the bees and the humingbirds were sharing the mint that shouldn't be there.  The blossoms are good food for them and contain the aphids the yellow finches are enjoying.

Come back often, as I see that as the seasons change the little ones change their eating habits.  So.....keep us posted.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!