Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re :WELCOME TO THE GARDEN
7/13/2006 7:57:47 PM
Hi, Mary I love a garden, despite having some water challenges here in Utah, also. I often work late into the evening and sometimes on weekends with my real estate hat on, so some years ago I decided that my gardens would have to be mostly be perennials, with a just a few annuals for color that I can plant quickly and easily in pots or baskets. That means that once I establish a bed of perennials with a nice dense groundcover surrounding them, I don't have to weed much. I love to cultivate the soil, and nothing connects me with nature quite as satisfyingly as running my fingers through soft, fluffy, loose soil. So I just keep digging up more grass and expanding my borders more and more. Soon I'll have my little domain completely planted in garden, with no grass for my husband to complain about mowing! With our hot summers, very cold winters and the dense clay soil that unfortunately surrounds my home, I have quite a challenge to find compatible perennials that will bloom in succession all through the spring, summer and fall so that I'll always have the flowers I love best! Cheri
+0
7/13/2006 8:00:02 PM
Hi Mary, Geraniums are a huge family of plants,it's not one of my favorites but have a few in my garden.I have a pineapple smelling one near my chook house and the best Red you can get is near my backdoor. They are the easiest plant to grow,does well in a pot,indoors or in the Garden. If your not a gardener these are great maintenance free plant.With coloups from deep red to almost blue! Thanks for your invite Mary,hope you have a good day! Leanne Busby http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/OrganicGardeningandHealthyLiving
+0
China T.B.

38 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
7/13/2006 8:01:58 PM

Hello Mary,

I am not much of a gardener but I do have a garden that is tended by real gardeners. I like going there to enjoy the quiet and solitude that only a well-cared garden brings. I do have potted plants that I enjoy all year long - geraniums and succulents.

I wish I had more time to spend in my garden. A garden always inspires one to dream, to bring up old and warm memories of people, places and events. I believe that gardeners are true artists - they create beauty that soothes the soul of the beholder.

I like your forum, by the way, Mary. It evokes pleasant thoughts. It feeds the soul. It makes a reader stay to rest and unwind, just like a real garden.  I hope to have the time to come here and visit more often.

Thank you for sharing your garden,

China T.

shopkeeper at a neighborhood shop in cyberspace  and a gardener of sorts

shopkeeper at www.shopdrops.com
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/13/2006 8:09:11 PM

Hey Mr. Desert Dweller,

You need not feel left out.  The cactus was designed to live on limited water.

The word cactus came from the greek word kaktos-meaning kind of thistle.

In my garden I have the prickly pear cactus which has bloomed only 3 times for me in 20 years.  The yellow flowers appear to be like paper.  In Ohio where it can go below -o- it is a miracle it survives the winters.

Just for you Mr. Max, you will enjoy my Aloe plant.  It has never bloomed but it serves our family well.  The ooie-gooie-slimy stuff in the middle is used for burns and cuts. You find it in shampoo, lotion, burn medications, and it can be a healthy drink.  

+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/13/2006 8:13:18 PM

John,

Welcome to the Garden.  I am trying to  convince myself that I do not need a garden.  If I want to enjoy a garden, a visit to a local garden should suffice.  But alas, not so.  Digging in the garden and watching things grow is very good for the soul.

For you, have heart.  You can have an indoor garden.  You can create a garden in a fish bowl or aquarium.  You can have a garden in a glass of water--put a vine in the water and let it clean your air and give you much joy.

Thanks for stopping in and come back often to learn more.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!