Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
What *not* to do to a POTW
5/24/2006 10:44:00 AM
Hi: A lot of people who have been already featured as "person of the week" (potw) warned me that I'd be bombed with messages. lol. So, one day into this, (I went up yesterday) I've met some really nice people (Hi, Melissa! *waving*) -- and I've noticed something I'd like to pass along. Here's what *NOT* to do to the person of the week; Don't send them ads and biz opps. You won't stand out of the crowd AT ALL. If you want to stand out of the crowd, send a "real" letter. You know, with conversation. Trust me, you'll stand out of the crowd. lol Every single time I check email, I get another 5-10 messages. Some are sent through Adland, and more through the contact form at my site. -- If they are a list of ads and opps, they'll get moved to the "read later" folder. -- At the end of the day, they'll probably get deleted unread. I *do* realize that some people will actually read those lists of ads and respond. Usually, they're either being polite or they aren't busy with paying customers or a job. The people that could actually be really good contacts to have don't respond when your first contact is a list of ads. Just a little tip that might be helpful to some. Or not. lol : ) Linda
+0
Re: What *not* to do to a POTW
5/24/2006 10:51:05 AM
Or how to turn the "POTW" into, as I like to refer to this whole thing, the "POW".
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
5/24/2006 1:13:08 PM
Linda, It never ceases to amaze me that you can say just the right thing without being offensive. I'm sure future POTWs will thank you for this. In fact, I think someone should ask John to link to it in the Welcome to... forum. I guess it has always been an irony that fame of any kind or any degree tends to so bog one down in the obligations of it, that whatever the fame resulted from suffers. During my week, I got NOTHING else done. While it was great fun in many ways, my business did suffer. I wish you had been through the gauntlet before me. I would have had a better idea how to handle it from seeing your example. Thanks for the ebook, by the way. I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but you know I've loved everything else I've read of yours, so I know this one is great too. Cheri
+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/24/2006 3:07:47 PM
Hi Linda, Congratulations on being chosen POTW, wringer washers and all! :-D Those were the days... It's a real pleasure to see a "voice of reason" featured! ======================================================== Here's what *NOT* to do to the person of the week; Don't send them ads and biz opps. You won't stand out of the crowd AT ALL. If you want to stand out of the crowd, send a "real" letter. You know, with conversation. Trust me, you'll stand out of the crowd. lol =========================================================== Well said! It's actually quite sad. You would think that when someone sees you featured as POTW, they would realize that you stand out in the community for a reason, and could be very valuable to them as a mentor. Instead, the majority seem to think, "Hey, there's someone else I can try to flog my junk to!" What a waste! I'm getting plenty of "friends" invitations right now, since accepting Bogdan's invitation to be a power member. As soon as a few good friends posted some congratulatory notes on the forums, the "friends" invitations and invitations to "Try my hype and nonsense - it's the best ever!" started pouring in. I work 12 hours per day away from my computer (my choice) so my time online is very valuable to me and requires quick sorting. All ads coming through the email address I use on the forums get dumped without a glance. Simple. Those who are willing to at least email me via Adlandpro get a bit more of a chance, but if their opening remarks don't at least directly address me by name disappear quickly via the [DELETE] button... Linda, as Winston Churchhill said, "Never give up." Keep telling it like it is, and hopefully a few will listen and learn. Once again, congratulations, and keep the thoughts and tips coming. You are much appreciated. God bless, Dave
+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/24/2006 3:09:36 PM
Hey Peter, You have a wonderful way with words! ======================================================= Or how to turn the "POTW" into, as I like to refer to this whole thing, the "POW". =========================================================== Couldn't have said it better! God bless, Dave
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!