Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Re: Stigma and discrimination exposed in our own community
3/21/2006 6:23:28 PM
Hello Jessica Thank you so much for stopping by and sharing with us. I know that your life has not been easy but I commend you on the way you have chosen to deal with the obstacles life has thrown at you. I would also like to thank you for the way you made your comments. I appreciate the fact that you didn't sieze the opportunity to chastise someone but merely stated your viewpoint from the perspective who understands mental illness and the stigma and misunderstandin around those of us with it.You have helped me turn this whole thing into a learning experience and you have also helped spread a message of hope to those who suffer. Thank you once again my Friend. May a smile follow you to sleep each night ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and be ther waiting, when you awaken. Sincerly, Bill Vanderbilt Mental Health Forums http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=8212 http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=8259 http://community.adlandpro.com/forumShow.aspx?ForumID=11791
May a smile follow you to sleep each night and,,,,,be there waiting,,,,,when you awaken http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/8212/ShowForum.aspx Sincerely, Billdaddy
+0
Re: Stigma and discrimination exposed in our own community
7/5/2006 11:50:30 PM
Hello Friends This will be my last post on this thread. This thread has been mostly about the negative side of a very neqative aspect of mental illness. I think that this discussion has served it's purpose. We were all able to see what stigma is and what it does to people. However, I now want to concentrate more on the other aspects of stigma. Such as how it affects other peoples live and what others are doing to eliminate stigma from this world. the following article is about a campaigne to end stigma, initiated by a man who nobody would have ever guessed had a mental illness.Mental illness is a part of every walk of life and the need to put an end to stigma is perhaps the single most important thing that we need to address if we are ever going to improve the lives of those who suffer. If a political leader can openly admit the he has a mental illness and still perform his job, it says a lot about mental illness and a lot about what it could mean to others if we speak out. Other voices Cincinnati.Com » The Enquirer » Opinion » Can Kennedy crush stigma of mental illness? Last Updated: 5:22 am | Wednesday, July 5, 2006 Can Kennedy crush stigma of mental illness? Lucille Pederson Hardgrove Since his automobile crash in May, Rep. Patrick Kennedy, D-R.I., son of Sen. Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., revealed that he has bipolar disorder, the mental illness formerly known as manic depression. In earlier incidences with cocaine and addiction to painkillers, he had been treated for depression, which he disclosed in 2000 when making an appearance with Tipper Gore, who also suffers depression. It is unclear that House members were aware of Kennedy's situation when they gave him a seat on the House Appropriations Committee and, of course, there is now some speculation about his competency for public life. Let us hope his treatment will enable him to continue his work and be a positive influence in helping those with mental illnesses. I commend Rep. Kennedy for his open admission of the illness, which was a difficult step for him as it is for every person in the family when a mental disorder occurs. It has long been viewed as a "possession of the devil," a "skeleton in one's closet," "dirty linen," and the fault of a dysfunctional family. But it is an illness like any other; it just happens to strike the brain. We forget, or do not know, that some of the most brilliant, productive and heroic people such as Lincoln, Churchill, Martin Luther and countless others have had and are now coping with a mental disorder. Stigma is still our greatest barrier, and Rep. Kennedy is a passionate advocate for ending this stigma. It is time for all of us to become informed, understanding and helpful, instead of critical and hurtful, when we encounter those with mental illness. In the past 25 years, since a member of my family was stricken with bipolar disorder, research and technology have given us better understanding and treatment. We no longer have to bear the burden alone. Since learning of the National Alliance on Mental Illness, which offers resources, support and classes for ill members and their families across the nation, I have taught many family members and witnessed the great hope that comes in sharing and helping. By calling NAMI of Hamilton County at 513-458-6670, we can get information and support. Let us follow the example of Rep. Kennedy and begin to eradicate the stigma of mental illness. Lucille Pederson Hardgrove, associate professor retired from the University of Cincinnati, teaches NAMI's "Family to Family" courses and lectures on mental illness. May a smile follow you to sleep each night,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and be there waiting,,, when you awaken. Sincerly, Bill Vanderbilt Mental Health And Political Forums Respectively http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/8212/ShowForum.aspx http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/9637/ShowForum.aspx Great New Product And Biz Op. Came to me highly recommended by a very good friend. I am just starting and I will keep you all informed as to progress. It really looks good. Here is my link http://www.aatcm.com/billdaddy
May a smile follow you to sleep each night and,,,,,be there waiting,,,,,when you awaken http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/8212/ShowForum.aspx Sincerely, Billdaddy
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re :Re: Stigma and discrimination exposed in our own community
7/6/2006 8:20:03 PM

William,

Thank you for all your time and effort to host this forum.  The fact that it existed here in a business media, is great.

I commend you.

Now for some well deserved rest.  Come visit the Folk Festival at

ONCE UPON A SUMMER DAY.  Bring your friends.

http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/thread/400005.aspx

Mary Hofstetter

+0
7/6/2006 11:33:39 PM

Hello Mary

I am still going to advocate for the mentally ill. I'm just going to get a little more focused. I have a new project right now that I really need as much help with as I can get. Here is my last post on another thread.

Hello Julia and Friends
The following article is an example of a mental health system that is inherantly too late and apparrently does too little. Over the years that I have been involved with mental health I have seen many cases similar to this one. Usually not as severe but sometimes even more severe. I personally know many people who are able to live a perfectly normal life with the help of treatment and medication in some instances. This is an example of what can happen when someone either just stops taking their meds or for some reason is unable to obtain their meds. As some of you know, last year I lost someone very dear to me because she got off her meds and relapsed into a state of sheer diluson and paranoia. It breaks my heart to see so many lives wasted and so many families torn apart because of a mental illness that could be treated successfully but isn't.
So, here is where I stand on this issue as of right now. Even though I have been publishing stories about mental illness and the mental health system for a long time, it just isn't enough. I have met the father and mother personally who this story is about. I have seen the scars, both physical and mental, that are the result of a system that is failing us. Another young man is looking at spending years and years in prison for a crime that he did not fully comprehend due to the lack of treatment for his mental illness. Right now, our nations largest provider of mental health care is the penal system. There are more people with a mental illness behind bars than there are in treatment. Roughly %16 of all U.S. prison inmates suffer with a mental illness and this is wrong. Especially considering the fact that so many of them could have been treated for their illnesses
prior to going to jail in the first place.
I know that treatment and medication works because it has worked for me for several years and for many others that I know personally who have been fortunate enough to get treatment rather than jail time. I am asking everyone who reads this forum to forward this article to everyone you know. I am going to begin a letter writing campaigne to congressional members about this. News papers, television and any other type of media that I can contact will be contacted. On their own, this family will most likely get the same results that they have been getting. None. All of us together can make a difference in the lives of this family and of the many other families in similar situations. PLease join me in my biggest endeavor yet. With your help, I am going to put the Saga of the Jones family in front of as many people as I can. I want to see something positive, something good, come about as a result of sharing what this poor family has had to endure at the hands of a mental heath system that doesn't work. At the hands of a government that doesn't seem to care. I want to see the Jones family become the ray of hope that others need to see so that they too might begin to find ways to heal and recover from the "potential havock that mental illness has caused in their lives."
Please write into this forum with anything you have to share. Tell us your story and I promise to help you get your story heard by those who can make a difference.
Now, here is the story of The Jones Family. Thank you kindly for hearing this plea for help.

Father Defends Son Accused of Stabbing Him

By Rodney L. Sherman
Clarion News Editor

A Monroe Township man stabbed by his son May 14 says investigators aren’t telling the whole story about the incident.
Jeremiah Clark Jones, 27, of Clarion, is charged with criminal attempt of criminal homicide, a first-degree felony, aggravated assault, a second-degree felony, and three counts of simple assault and recklessly endangering another person, all second-degree misdemeanors, at 2 p.m. May 14 at 374 Siverling Road, Monroe Township.
According to court documents, filed by state police Tpr. David Sprankle, state police were notified of the domestic incident involving Jeremiah Jones and his father, Daniel Clark Jones.
Daniel Clark Jones’ wife, Mary Elizabeth Jones alleged she heard the two arguing then heard her husband say, “No please don’t. Please, dear God don’t.”
But Daniel Clark Jones told the CLARION NEWS he was not arguing with his son.
“I had only been home about 10 minutes,” said Daniel Clark Jones. “We were not arguing at all that day.”
The older Jones said that he was stabbed just twice, with one of those wounds being a cut on his arm.
Daniel Clark Jones said his son has been mentally ill for about 10 years.
“I place a lot of the fault for this with (Clarion County) mental health (agency),” said Daniel Clark Jones. “I called them about two weeks prior to this to say we were having some problems with my son and they did nothing.
“He’s been pretty sick and as far as I’m concerned, it’s mental health’s fault.”
“It’s been hard to correspond with mental health because of my son’s rights,” said Daniel Clark Jones. “His rights are protected and I can’t talk to his doctor and my son won’t

give the doctor permission to talk to me because he’s paranoid.”
Following the incident, Daniel Clark Jones was transported to Clarion Hospital via ambulance and then flown to a Pittsburgh-area hospital due to the seriousness of his injuries.
Daniel Clark Jones said he was released from the hospital after 72 hours and denied he was ever in critical condition.
Jeremiah Clark Jones was arraigned before District Judge Duane Quinn and placed in the Clarion County Jail in lieu of $150,000 bail.
Daniel Clark Jones said his son has been in jail before and added he believes the time in prison made his son more violent.
Daniel Clark Jones said his son was a “good boy” before his illness who earned good grades in school.
“There’s son much more to this story,” said Daniel Clark Jones, who declined to comment further on his opinions regarding Clarion County Mental Health’s treatment of his son.

May a smile follow you to sleep each night,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
and be there waiting,,, when you awaken.

Sincerly, Bill Vanderbilt

Mental Health And Political Forums Respectively
http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/8212/ShowForum.aspx http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/9637/ShowForum.aspx
Great New Product And Biz Op. Came to me highly recommended by a very good friend. I am just starting and I will keep you all informed as to progress. It really looks good. Here is my link
http://www.aatcm.com/billdaddy

+0
Julia Youngblood

113 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
7/7/2006 1:03:14 PM

Hi Bill,

It has been awhile since I have been to this forum...I hope that I am in the right place as I wanted to share a little something on "stigma" that I have just received. It is an excerpt from the Summer edition of the NAMI Advocate, entitled:  "TV Humor and Mental Illness".

It seems that Fox-TV and ABC-TV have attempted to create sit-coms using mental illness themes...one based on a true story. Neither show lasted very long...

However, a question for debate remains...

Where does one draw the line? Is mental illness ever funny? Where does humor stop and stigma begin?

According to the US Surgeon General, who calls stigma...

"a major barrier not only to people getting help when they need it, but also to public willingness to pay for care."

"Most tragically", declared the 1999 SG's report on Mental Health, "it deprives people of their dignity and interferes with their full participation in society."

Warning Signs of Stigma

"On television shows, radio programs, and other media, stigma may not always be readily apparent, or may only exist as a matter of degree, requiring a person to balance several factors against one another to make a judgment. Here are some to consider:

*  Inaccuracy

*  Context

*  Sterotypes

*  Consumers (a term used for people suffering from a mental dis-order) portrayed as antagonists or villains

*  Disparaging language

*  Linkage to violence

*  Devaluation of consumers, trivialization of illness

*  Making mental illness or consumers the butt of jokes

*  Offensive or insensitive symbols (i.g. straitjackets)

If you would like to share your thoughts on TV humor and mental illness send an email to...

StigmaBusters at...

smarch@nami.org

In Peace,

Julia

PS  I hope this post turns out ok....I really like this new way of posting, but I do not like not being able to preview.  A spell checker would be a good thing also.

"To see the earth as it truly is, small and blue and beautiful in that eternal silence where it floats, is to see ourselves as riders on the earth together, brothers and sisters on that bright loveliness in the eternal."
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!