Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Francisco de Goya, Spanish painter, draftsman & printmaker
9/21/2013 2:50:31 AM

Goya's "happy days," with a few ups and downs, would prolong until approximately 1787. Here are two particularly charming examples from that time.

Francisco de Goya - Spring (or 'The Flower Girls')
(oil on canvas, 1786 - 1787)

Francisco de Goya - The Swing (1787)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/21/2013 3:35:40 PM
LOL- actually its' the religious ones-it is so amazing to me that these faces are there in my memory banks!
I have seen them elsewhere as well but it turns out they were my first introduction to fine art but nobody told me:)
We have a very art filled city (New Orleans) as we were founded by both the French and the Spain. Funny story about how that happened; but walking around the older parts of the city and its' everywhere! (Art, that is)
+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/22/2013 3:07:13 AM

Joyce,

I am so glad it is the religious ones that arose your 'memory banks'; in fact, they touch me deeply too. I loved them from the moment I put my eyes on them.

I particularly loved this fresco below. In my case it was a new painting, I didn't remember seeing it ever before. And yet, it was like I had always known of its existence.

'Birth of the Virgin'

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/22/2013 3:41:51 AM

More or less by the time he was finishing painting his series of gallant works, Goya produced this most impressive Winter below. Granted it was part of a set of works depicting the seasons (see Spring of 1786 - 1787 above) and, on the other hand, it came after The Swing of 1787 (here shown immediately before The Swing), both supposedly painted during his still 'happy days'. But it marks such a deep contrast with his gallant works, it evidences such a stark discomfort in both the people and the animals portrayed, that makes me think he was feeling as if winter was setting also on him at the same time.

Francisco de Goya - Winter ('The Snowstorm')
(oil on canvas, 1786-87)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/24/2013 2:17:35 AM

Apart from The Winter, at least
three magnificent works painted in the 1780s by Goya, actually portraits of the highest nobility and the Royal family members, seem to me of mandatory exhibition here.

Here is the first one, of 1783: a most beautiful portrait of Maria Teresa de Borbon and Vallabriga.

Francisco de Goya - Doña Maria Teresa de Borbon and Vallabriga
(oil on canvas, 1783)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!