Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Francisco de Goya, Spanish painter, draftsman & printmaker
9/19/2013 2:55:51 AM

The Pottery Vendor
('El cacharrero')

The Pottery Vendor
is one of Goya's most emblematic masterpieces. Painted in 1779 in a spirit of identification with the Spanish people and treasured by the Museo del Prado in Madrid (the capital of Spain), it was celebrated from its inception and remains a great favorite even today. The carriage
in it is such a magical addition.

Francisco de Goya - The Pottery Vendor ('El Cacharrero')
(oil on canvas, 1779)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/19/2013 3:04:35 AM

Here is a video entirely consecrated to 'El cacharrero' (The Pottery Vendor), the masterpiece featured in the previous post. Enjoy.

Publicado el 17/07/2012

iTour #15 | Francisco de Goya | The pottery vendor (El cacharrero) 1778 | Collection of the Museo Nacional del Prado, Madrid | © Photographic Archive, Museo Nacional del Prado, Madrid

Narrator: David Burnett, Curator, International Art, Queensland Art Gallery | Gallery of Modern Art

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/20/2013 2:53:34 AM

Prior to painting The Pottery Vendor (see my previous post), which can be seen as a culmination of sorts, Goya produced a series of gallant pieces over a period going from about 1775 to the 1980s which somehow mark what I have previously called "his happy days." Here is a selection of them.

Francisco de Goya - Picnic on the Banks of the Manzanares
(oil on canvas, 1776)

Francisco de Goya - The Parasol (oil on canvas, 1776 - 1778)

Francisco de Goya - The Maja and the Masked Men ('A Walk in Andalusia')
(oil on canvas, 1777)

+1
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/20/2013 11:56:17 PM
Luis - I was thinking so hard to think of why these paintings looked so familiar and it finally hit me- when I was a very little girl my grandma took me with her to Wednesday night choir practice so I spent a lot of time staring at these very pictures in the middle of her Bible!
And that made me smile:)
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/21/2013 12:24:24 AM

Joyce, do you mean his religious or his gallant paintings, or maybe both? Sorry to ask this, I have been feeling a bit dumb these days...

... On second thought, you must mean his gallant paintings. It doesn't surprise me, they are so beautiful and beyond that, they are charming. I remember how impressed I was when I first saw them (not in any bible, lol).

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!