Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: FRANCISCO DE GOYA: Spanish painter, draftsman & printmaker
11/13/2013 4:35:28 PM
These images are interesting because they depict the way horrible people who do horrible things to other people should look.
The real horror is that monsters among us look so "normal" and we can't see their true intentions until it is sometimes too late to get away from them.
This train of thought reminds me of the Portrait of Dorian Grey-where all of his awful deeds transferred to the portrait not to be discovered until he was dying.
+2
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/13/2013 8:06:47 PM

Quote:
These images are interesting because they depict the way horrible people who do horrible things to other people should look.
The real horror is that monsters among us look so "normal" and we can't see their true intentions until it is sometimes too late to get away from them.
This train of thought reminds me of the Portrait of Dorian Grey-where all of his awful deeds transferred to the portrait not to be discovered until he was dying.

Great observation joyce.

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/14/2013 2:03:42 AM

Dear friends Roger and Joyce,
thank you for your interesting observations.

A recurring thought that has lately kept coming to my mind is Goya
witnessed all these horrible deeds in his time and somehow, as would a journalist in our days, he 'photographed' them for posterity. Of course he did not have a camera and he probably memorized every detail to later reproduce it in his studio, since even sketching all those scenes from the natural would have been extremely dangerous. All this reportedly caused such a profound impression in him that it completely and radically changed his vision of life and the world and ultimately turned him a somber person for the rest of his days. Considering how we are deeply affected just to think of it, I can only imagine how he, a great artist and therefore an extremely sensitive person, must have felt himself back then.

Thanks again,

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/16/2013 2:31:35 AM

From "Los Desastres de la Guerra"
("The Disasters of War")

Famine

Francisco de Goya -
No llegan a tiempo ("They do not arrive in time") (1)
(Plate 52, 1812-1814)

Francisco de Goya -
¿
De qué sirve una taza? ("What good is a cup?") (2)
(Plate 59, 1812-1814)

Francisco de Goya - No hay quien los socorra ("There is no one to help them") (3)
(Plate 60, 1812-1814)

Francisco de Goya - Las camas de la muerte ("The beds of death") (4)
(Plate 62, 1812-1814)

(1) Two women, one with a child in her arms, huddle behind the ruins of a building to lay a third woman to rest in the ground.

(2) Two starving women lie on the ground, one near death while a third kneels by their side and offers a cup to the dying woman.

(3) On a hillside, three women lie dead and a lone figure weeps in mournful grief.

(4) A woman walks past dozens of wrapped bodies awaiting burial.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/16/2013 8:44:24 PM
You can feel the sadness and slow realization that death is very near.
It sounds like the reports of the out lying regions of the Phillipines in the news.
We can at least be comforted this time that help is on the way.
+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!