Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: FRANCISCO DE GOYA: Spanish painter, draftsman & printmaker
11/10/2013 10:17:16 AM

Miguel,

These are indeed not pretty but they show that certain things, jokes, fears etc. are still very similar. Goya's fascination with grotesque images makes for interesting viewing.

If, as you have Miguel, you research his works you find out just what scared, fascinated, amused or terrified people at that time.

As I have said, not pretty but a pictorial record of how things were or could have been.

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/11/2013 3:51:57 AM

Hi Roger,

So far I have tried to only choose those images that most appealed to me personally, yet many of them that I decided to put aside may be said to be equally good as far as quality is concerned. Now if you add these latter to the chosen ones and also include some whose meaning is no longer clear and I also put aside, the field becomes so vast that it would somehow be overwhelming whether to me or anyone else. And note that they are only Goya's Caprichos. You just can imagine how vast it will be when I also post his Disasters, even if only a selection of them.

Hence my initial reluctance to post any of Goya's graphic work on this thread. But now the challenge has been taken and a material that in a way is as worthy as Goya paintings themselves, and therefore of being presented in a book or at least in an article, must be featured as a short section at the end of this thread.

Why am I writing all this? I hope not as anticipated excuses for a result that may ultimately be just average or even mediocre. Goya's great graphic material does not deserve that.

However it is, thanks for your patience.

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/12/2013 3:03:15 AM

From "Los Desastres de la Guerra"
("The Disasters of War")

War (I)

Francisco de Goya - No quieren ("They do not want to") (1)
(Plate 9, 1810-1814)

Francisco de Goya - Tampoco ("Nor do these") (2)
(Plate 10, 1810-1814)

Francisco de Goya - Y no hai remedio ("And it cannot be helped") (3)
(Plate 15, 1810-1814)

Francisco de Goya - Enterrar y callar ("To bury and keep quiet") (4)
(Plate 18, 1810-1814)

(1) An elderly woman wields a knife in defence of a young girl who is being assaulted by a soldier. (Wikipedia)

(2) Spanish women were commonly victims of assault and rape. (id)

(3) Y no hay remedio(And it cannot be helped). Prisoners executed by firing squads, reminiscent of The Third of May 1808. (id)

(4) Atrocities, starvation and human degradation described as the "prodigious flowering of rage". (id)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/13/2013 1:14:15 AM

From "Los Desastres de la Guerra" ("The Disasters of War")

War (II)

Francisco de Goya - Lo mismo ("The same") (1)
(Plate 3, 1810-1814)

Francisco de Goya - Por una navaja
("For a clasp knife") (2)
(Plate 34, 1810-1814)

Francisco de Goya - Esto es peor
("This is worse") (3)
(Plate 37, 1810-1814)

(1)
A man about to cut off the head of a soldier with an axe. (Wikipedia)

(2) A priest tied to a stake grasps a cross in his hands. Pinned to his chest is a description of the crime for which he will be killed—possession of a knife. (id)

(3) In the aftermath of battle, the mutilated torsos and limbs of civilian victims were mounted on trees, like "fragments of marble sculpture". (id)

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/13/2013 1:32:43 PM

Horrible images but interesting in their context.

Roger

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!