Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
How About A Healthy Lunch My Friends?
8/5/2013 5:17:37 PM

Hello Everyone,

If you all are like me, whenever you're craving a meaty sandwich, nothing tastes quite like a Reuben. You really should try this healthier version of the classic Reuben Sandwich. You'll never miss the high-fat, high-sodium corned beef when you replace it with tender roasted turkey breast.

To make this favorite sandwich even healthier, this recipe not only uses turkey, but also includes reduced-calorie dressing, and lightly dressed coleslaw. It makes a great lunch or dinner and these sandwiches are quick to prepare and require very little cleanup.

Turkey Reuben

2 cups packaged shredded cabbage with carrot (coleslaw mix)

2 tablespoons bottled reduced-calorie clear Italian salad dressing or white wine vinaigrette salad dressing

2 tablespoons bottled reduced-calorie Thousand Island salad dressing

8 1/2inch thick slices rye bread

8 ounces sliced, cooked turkey breast

4 slices provolone cheese (4 ounces)

1 medium tomato, sliced

Cucumber spears (optional)

1. In a medium bowl, combine coleslaw mix and Italian salad dressing; set aside.

2. Spread Thousand Island salad dressing on one side of each bread slice. Place four of the bread slices, dressing sides up, on a work surface; top with turkey, cheese, tomato, and coleslaw mixture. Top with remaining bread slices, dressing sides down.

3. Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Reduce heat to medium-low. Cook sandwiches, half at a time, for 4 to 6 minutes or until the bread is toasted and the cheese is melted, turning once. If desired, serve with cucumber spears. Makes 4 servings.

Complete your lunch with a bowl of one of these reduced sodium Soups for a treat that's delicious as well as healthier.

Have A Happy Monday,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: How About A Healthy Lunch My Friends?
8/5/2013 5:41:20 PM
Hi Phil,

Love Reuben sandwiches. I am more then willing to try this one. All I need is the turkey.
This is such a great time of the year to have all the fresh veggies, I am enjoying every bite.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/5/2013 8:28:31 PM

Hi Myrna,

I miss the Corn Beef and the Sauerkraut on my Reuben, but this is pretty good and a WHOLE LOT healthier for us.

You're a lady after my heart when you talk about fresh Veggies. Here's one that you might like to try. Fresh produce abounds this time of year, so here's a meatless recipe that takes advantage of nature's bounty. This pasta dish is kept light and bright with fresh produce and tangy vinaigrette. The recipe calls for colorful bell peppers, but feel free to choose your favorite in-season veggies.

Don't miss out—head on down to your local farmer's market and start cooking.

Orecchiette with Roasted Peppers, Arugula, and Tomatoes

• 1 orange bell pepper
  • 1 yellow bell pepper
  • 8 ounces uncooked orecchiette pasta
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic, divided
  • 8 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 3 tablespoons champagne or white wine vinegar
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried herbes de Provence
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 cups loosely packed arugula
  • 1/2 cup (about 2 ounces) shaved fresh Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat broiler.

2. Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; discard seeds and membranes. Place pepper halves, skin sides up, on a foil-lined baking sheet; flatten with hand. Broil 15 minutes or until blackened. Place in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 10 minutes. Peel and cut into 1-inch strips.

3. Cook the pasta according to the package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain.

4. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1/4 teaspoon garlic; cook 30 seconds. Add bell peppers and tomatoes to pan; cook 4 minutes or until tomatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.

5. Combine remaining 3/4 teaspoon garlic, vinegar, and next 5 ingredients (through black pepper) in a small bowl; stir with a whisk. Add pasta

• Have A Blessed Week My Friend,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
    +0
    Phillip Black

5931 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 50 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    8/6/2013 4:47:45 PM

Hello My Friends,

Here's another healthier Lunch idea that I've enjoyed and I wanted to share it with you all. Sweet, nutty, and creamy are the dominant flavors here, with toasted cinnamon-raisin bread, fresh alfalfa, and crisp pears offering lots of crunch. Crisp, ripe Bartlett pears and toasted walnuts from fall's harvest combine in these quick and tasty sandwiches. They pack nutrition and taste great for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. A nice lunch on its own, this sandwich also matches well with slightly sweet soups, like the Honey-Gingered Carrot Soup shown below.

Pear-Walnut Sandwich

1/2 cup (4 ounces) tub-style light cream cheese

8 (1.1-ounce) slices cinnamon-raisin bread, toasted

2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts, toasted

2 Bartlett pears, cored and thinly sliced

1 cup alfalfa sprouts

Spread 1 tablespoon cream cheese evenly over each of 8 bread slices. Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon walnuts evenly over each of 4 bread slices. Top each evenly with pear slices, sprouts, and 1 bread slice. Cut each sandwich in half diagonally. Serves 4.

Honey-Gingered Carrot Soup

• 3 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen sliced honey-glazed carrots
  • 1/2 cup frozen chopped onion
  • 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
  • 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • Plain fat-free yogurt (optional)
  • Thyme sprigs (optional)
  • 1. Combine first 6 ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes or until carrots are tender.

2. Place half of soup mixture in a blender or food processor. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend 30 seconds or until smooth. Pour pureed mixture into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with remaining soup mixture. Ladle soup into bowls; garnish with yogurt and thyme sprigs, if desired. Serves 4.

Have A Terrific Tuesday,

Phil

+0
    Phillip Black

5931 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 50 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    8/7/2013 6:41:02 PM

Hello Friends,

Looking for something satisfying that's still healthy to eat on that diet? Save a trip to the deli, and make these easy comfort food combos at home. They'll take you no time to whip up and will satisfy your need for warm, hearty fare. Remember, just because it's superfilling doesn't mean it can't be low-cal too!

Craving something substantial? Ready in less than 20 minutes, this protein-packed sandwich will surely satisfy. Roast beef, smoked Gouda, and pepper jelly create a savory flavor, while watercress is a good source of vitamins A and C.

Roast Beef Panini

• 8 tablespoons sweet- or hot-pepper jelly
  • 8 slices whole-grain bread
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 2 ounces smoked Gouda cheese, shredded
  • 1/2 pound thinly sliced deli roast beef
  • 1 cup watercress sprigs
  • Olive oil cooking spray

Preparation:

1. Spread 1 tablespoon jelly evenly on each of 8 slices of bread. Spread each of 4 slices with 1/2 teaspoon mustard on top of the jelly; sprinkle Gouda evenly on the same 4 slices. Top the remaining slices evenly with the thinly sliced roast beef and the watercress sprigs. Combine the bread slices to create 4 sandwiches.

2. Heat a panini press or a grill pan coated lightly with olive oil cooking spray. Grill the sandwiches in batches, with the press closed, for 2–3 minutes per side. If using a grill pan, cook the sandwiches over moderately high heat with a heavy skillet on top of the sandwiches, pressing down, 2–3 minutes per side or until golden. Halve the sandwiches, and serve immediately. Serves 4.

• Pair your tasty Sandwich with this Rustic Onion Soup featured here for your perfect lunch time meal.

Rustic Onion Soup

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 pounds red and yellow onions, thinly sliced
  • 6 ounces shallots, thinly sliced
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
  • 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
  • 1/3 cup dry vermouth
  • 4 cups low-sodium beef broth, hot
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • 2 tablespoons light sour cream
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1. Heat oil in a 4-quart pot over moderate heat. Add the next 4 ingredients (through thyme); cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 16 minutes or until the onions begin to color.

2. Uncover and cook, stirring, 10 minutes or until onions are golden.

3. Stir in flour; cook for 2 minutes. Pour vermouth carefully into pan from measuring cup, scraping browned bits from bottom of pan. Cook 2 minutes more or until liquid is almost gone. Add broth, 2 cups water, Worcestershire, and Parmesan cheese. Bring to a simmer; cook 20 minutes.

4. Remove bay leaf, and ladle soup into bowls. Top each with sour cream and sprinkle of black pepper. Serve. Makes 4 (2 cup) servings.

• Time-saver alert! Make a double batch of this soup and freeze in an airtight container for up to three months. Just thaw, heat, and serve for a last-minute dinner.

Have A Bright & Beautiful Week,

Phil

+0

facebook
    Like us on Facebook!