Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - WILLIAM TURNER
7/8/2013 2:34:22 AM

Continuing our revisit of Turner's masterpieces so far missing in
this thread, you will note an apparent gap of about ten years between the works that are shown below, but the gap exists only here as in fact, those years are already filled with paintings that did find their way into the corresponding pages.

William Turner - Eruption of Vesuvius (oil on canvas, 1817)

William Turner - Lancaster Sands (watercolor on paper, 1826)

Alternative image from Tate.org (only size available):

William Turner - Lancaster Sands (watercolor on paper, 1826)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/9/2013 2:38:04 AM

Another gap (only an apparent one
again) and we are in 1839, virtually entering the last decade of William Turner's wonderful activity as an artist. Here is a most celebrated master work by him, reportedly completed in that year and in fact, his final painting of Rome - which, by the way, I entirely missed (so sorry about that). (*)

William Turner - Modern Rome: Campo Vaccino
(oil on canvas, 1839)

(*) Modern Rome - Campo Vaccino is a landscape vision of the unexcavated Roman Forum, still called the Campo Vaccino, the "Cow Pasture", shimmering in hazy light and is the last of Turner's twenty-year series of views of the city. It was painted at the peak of Turner's career from studies and sketches made on two visits to the city. Features of Classical,Renaissance and Baroque Rome occupy the canvas, but the foreground contains indicators of modern life, including goatherds. (Wikipedia)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/9/2013 2:59:54 AM
And here are two highly impressionist masterpieces - shown without further description so that you may just enjoy them - painted by Turner in the two subsequent years after he completed the one exhibited in the above post.

William Turner - Ehrenbrietstein and Coblenz
(watercolor on off-white wove paper, 1840)

William Turner - Goldau (watercolor on paper, 1841)

P.S. Although thought to be from 1841-42 (which would make it older), there is in the Tate Gallery a "sample study" of Goldau above (the full title is Goldau, with the Lake of Zug in the Distance) which, while most similar to the above watercolor and similarly painted in graphite, watercolor and ink on paper, differs considerably in color intensity and in some minor details, like the small figures on the forefront. You may view it here.

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/9/2013 8:00:55 AM
WOW!
+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/10/2013 1:58:05 AM

Roger, I will take this opportunity to show two great paintings by William Turner that I was just about to miss posting but very well deserve your 'WOW!' as well. When was the first painted I have not been able to find out but it had to be in or before 1816, the year a pretty good engraving was made after it (I am not showing it but can be seen
here). The second one, of 1820, is the exquisite portrait of Rome that you may see below it and which must have caused a great impression when first exhibited.

William Turner - Fallmouth Harbour, Cornwall
(watercolor on paper, date unknown)

William Turner - Rome from the Vatican (oil on canvas, 1820)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!