Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING - WILLIAM TURNER
6/21/2013 2:25:17 AM
Dear friends, I don't know if they were painted during Turner's long stays in Italy, or if they can be said to be impressionist works. But these two paintings certainly are counted among William Turner's masterpieces.

William Turner - Venice: The Dogana and San Giorgio Maggiore
(oil on canvas, 1834)

William Turner - The Grand Canal, Venice
(oil on canvas, 1835)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/21/2013 2:47:01 AM
Now this painting of 1838 IS impressionist or, if you like, pre-impressionist. At the same time, it is one of William Turner's most famed masterpieces (in fact, universally acclaimed as such).

William Turner - The Fighting 'Temeraire' Tugged to Her Last Berth to be Broken Up
(oil on canvas, 1838)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+3
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/22/2013 2:57:57 AM

MISCELANEA
(c.1828 - 1834)

William Turner - A Ship Aground
(oil on canvas, c.1828)

William Turner - Quillebeuf, at the Mouth of Seine
(oil on canvas, 1833)

William Turner - The Burning of the Houses of Parliament
(oil on canvas, 1834)

+2
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/22/2013 8:46:52 AM

Miguel,

Wonderful examples of the master

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/23/2013 3:40:31 AM

Roger,

I don't know if it has to do with me (most probably) or with William Turner himself, but I have never had so much trouble trying to find my way through any other artist's life and works. In Turner's case, I have tried to do so in a coherent manner to no avail. To me, for example, there seems to be another hiatus without significant works between years 1834 and 1840, when he seems to again find his way back to a production of great works. Unfortunately, it is his last decade of life and I can only imagine what wonders he would have been capable of had he been alive a couple more years.

Another thing I can myself do is try to find an explanation to that strange behavior. Am I too far from it if I believe that he was long torn between realism and an incipient impressionism to a degree that he went somewhat disorderly between one and the other for many years? Of course towards the end of his life he was firmly established in the impressionist path, but all the same, I think he would have produced many more master works had he decided on it much earlier.

Well, I will not bore you further with my idle speculations. Fortunately enough, there are still left several precious works that belong in his later years and if that is not enough, I might revisit his catalog and see if there are any more early works, mainly watercolors, left aside in my compilation of them (of course there are, I only have to make a research into my own archives to locate them). But it will have to wait until tomorrow, I am too tired now and it is late.

Thanks for your patience,

Miguel

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!