Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
SEO is...
5/14/2013 8:16:34 PM
On another page in this forum Mark did a fine job of laying out one topic I wish to explore extensively here; that being SEO.

First of all for those that don't know SEO is Search Engine Optimization. In a less jargon-like way, it means building your website so that the search engines like it and list your site first (or at least in the top few spots).

There are a lot of parameters involved in SEO and so it is good that we have a thread to discuss them.

Mark touched on some of them when he posted:

Quote:

SEO is:

• Domain Name
  • Page Name
  • Content
  • Back Links
  • Real Traffic

Over time I'll cover each of these but before I do you should also know that this is something you don't want to get caught up in. The Search Engines (SE) are always changing "what they want" and the people that are trying to spam the results to make a lot of money very quickly are always coming up with something new to beat the SE's. Throw in the information from my thread "Google is NOT your friend!" and you can understand that you can lose a lot trying to get "free" traffic from the "G".

One thing that Mark briefly touched on in his first post and in his response to my anti G post is that you cannot go head to head with the big boys. This is especially true in the SERP's.

If you are trying to get a respectable ranking for "affiliate marketing", "internet marketing" or "home business" for example... you have about the same chance of success as the folks pulling the one armed bandits in Las Vegas. I take that back. They have a better chance than you will because they at least have a chance.

BUT...

If you are more thoughtful, and have decided on a niche, before you chose a domain name and start trying to promote; you might have some possiblities.

So before you choose a domain name. Choose a Niche, choose a business. Decide what you are going to do. I make a pretty good living going in and "fixing" websites that the businessman tried to rank for "lawn maintenance" (for example) instead of trying to rank for a more specific service and in the area he actually services. It's still difficult, but it's a lot less difficult than trying to compete with every lawn maintenance company in the world!

I'll cover more on choosing a domain name in my next post in this thread. Unless of course someone else beats me to it. Which is perfectly ok by me! :)

David Weed President,
+0
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: SEO is...
5/14/2013 8:43:15 PM
Got to love SEO, the more I read the more of a headache I get lol
First off...competing with Google is the most foolish thing one can to from the stand point of being an owner or as an affiliate. Learning how to work with "G" is wiser and in some ways they are doing kind of a good job..maybe lol

SEO... you have no idea how many times I have said to people write first then deal with SEO..people tend to go backwards.

To me when I write I am writing for people not a search engine who could not care less about what I am saying. When I think of things to write I ask myself a question and using an example here

You have a person who trying to find out information about how to give a cat a bath ( good luck!)

How do I write?

Title: How to give your cat a bath

First sentence....

( H2) I don't know about you but to give your cat a bath is a risky business but there are ways and means of doing it without losing your hands or your life.
I would use the phrase " give your cat a bath" maybe a couple of time during the post but not too much..this is after all about people reading something that they wanted to know about

Ending..

something like

Now that you know my way that I give a cat a bath ( and I still have my hands lol) let me know how you managed ( pictures would be great if you have bandages)

hmmm wouldn't be a bad post lol

Anyways..people need to think of their readers first and foremost. Yes we need to pay attention to the boring details of SEO, but when you keep your writing natural and like a story..it all comes to together ( um I need to correct that...to me the issue has never really been about writing.its always about what you do afterwards..a different topic for sure)

Just my thoughts of SEO in terms of writing that can be applied to anything you write about...
+1
5/15/2013 3:39:20 AM
Quote:

SEO... you have no idea how many times I have said to people write first then deal with SEO..people tend to go backwards.

To me when I write I am writing for people not a search engine who could not care less about what I am saying. When I think of things to write I ask myself a question...

Oh Diane I could not have said that better myself!

I'd like to add a wee bit regarding how often to repeat the key phrase (in this case give a cat a bath). As you showed, you want to have it in once in the very first sentence of the first paragraph. Then a second time that can be anywhere else in the main body of your article/message/whatever and then a final time in the last sentence of the last paragraph.

It's is also a good idea to underline it once, italicize it once and bold it once. Just don't do all three on the same use of the phrase. Do not bold all three or italicize all three or underline all three. Also, don't ALWAYS bold on the first instance, or italicize on the second or underline on the last instance. ALWAYS mix it up!

Lastly, If the article is between 300-500 words the above is all you should do regarding repeats of the key phrase, especially the closer to 300 words you are. As you approach and exceed the 500 word mark you could repeat one additional time somewhere in the body of the message but only use underline, italics or bolding one time each no matter how long your article might be.

I tend to stick to the 'Three times rule" no matter how long my article ends up because it's just easier to remember First sentence, Last sentence and once in the middle!

Good stuff. good stuff. And there is sooooo much more!

David Weed President,
+0
Mr.
Mr. D

840 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
5/15/2013 11:28:32 AM
Again, we need to be clear on what is what.
SEO for one, does not apply to others.
Like Diane, write for readers and not for Google.
That would be a hugh mistake on my part as writing for search engines is exactly what I do.
She writes to be social and I write for optimization.
Again nothing wrong, just too different power houses.
I don't bother with all that Boldness and underlining too much as I know I have read that and some say that but my SEO programs that runs in my Website finds this to be not so important. Google reads content, and things like "Handyman" or handymen, or handyman it is still read as handyman. It is more important to use it several times and with good sounding content. Not too much, not too little.

+0
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/15/2013 2:37:54 PM
Have you ever read something that makes you stand back and go..hmmm I need to rethink things?

While we are talking SEO in this forum, after reading something this morning ( Bogdan's new blog post) it made me stand back and realize that while we are talking about SEO from the stand point of experience, there are many people who have little to no concept of SEO especially when it comes to doing business online.

I almost feel that we should be going back to kindergarten and teaching basics lol

Why are we talking about SEO at all..what is the point of it, why do people who are wanting to affiliate market or market or be in an online business NEED to know anything about SEO. I feel that we need to address these issues for people to move forward in learning how to market and learning how to do SEO both from the standpoint of social and search engines

Just my thoughts right now
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!