Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Jo
Jo Matthias

2947 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Images that I find by chance and enjoy
9/9/2013 10:07:41 PM
Hi Roger, You find some really amazing Art, I enjoy what you post here. Thank you, Jo
VOTE!!!! POTM!!!
+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/10/2013 2:14:32 AM
Hi Roger,

The word is FANTASTIC in every sense with regard to your recent posts. I love the work of Jacek Yerka, but also the other artists presented, particularly Kalina and Naoto Hattori, have left me speechless with the scope of their imagination and downright extravagance.

I found this painting by the latter, perhaps less radical than the one you posted but all the same an interesting sample of his work .

"Bombing"
Hugs,

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/10/2013 7:48:35 AM

Miguel,

I am pleased that you found these interesting.

The internet is such a marvelous tool.

I thought that you would have found these fun.

Can you imagine what Bosch would have done with a photo program?

Roger

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/10/2013 7:53:21 AM

Quote:
Hi Roger, You find some really amazing Art, I enjoy what you post here. Thank you, Jo

I have fun exploring anyway

+1
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/10/2013 7:23:50 PM

This would make a lovely forum.

Miniature portraits.

This is the poet Shelley

A Brief History of the Miniature Portrait
by Kate Johnson

Miniatures on vellum, copper, wood, card and other surfaces were popular in the Renaissance period, with small jewel-like works by Lucas Horenbout, who painted Henry VIII in the 1520s; Hans Holbien, Nicolas Hilliard in the 16th century, and later by John Hoskins, Samuel Cooper and others. One piece by Hilliard was mounted on a playing card; three hearts are still visible, and we may wonder if there is symbolic significance in that. These gorgeous pieces appear to have been the sole province of royalty, nobility and the very rich, as most surviving examples from that period are extremely fine and beautifully wrought. They would have been beyond the reach of all but the wealthy.

Miniatures appear to have come into their own, and for a much broader spectrum of the population in the 18th Century, when they were owned by royalty, gentry, and commoner folk alike. The range of quality of extant frames and mounts, the painting surface itself, and relative skill of the painter suggest that they were much more widely available to “middling folk” as well as to the upper classes. Some surviving examples are very much in the folk art vein, unsophisticated and perhaps even crude, but charming nonetheless.

In same cases we can see the development of a talent; for instance an early self-portrait miniature by the artist John Singleton Copley is quite stiff and oversimplified compared to the confidence, energy and accuracy of his later works.

In the eighteenth century, artists on the Continent and in America were commissioned to create miniature paintings that were personal, political, erotic or otherwise. These small, portable images included likenesses of lovers and the betrothed, husbands, wives and children; kings, queens, princes, generals, consorts, and the deceased done as funeral pieces or memorials. Many of the latter showed a classical woman grieving by an urn, rather than a portrait of the deceased. Oftentimes funerary pieces were mounted in black frames embellished with pearls to symbolize the tears of the mourner, but of course pearls did not always indicate a mourning piece.

click here for more information

These are modern miniatures of Tsar Nicholas II and his wife Alexandra.

Below one of their children

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!