Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: THE HUDSON RIVER SCHOOL - THOMAS COLE
5/10/2012 3:00:11 PM
I agree with you Roger.

Miguel of all the painters that you have posted i like Thomas Cole the best. There is just so much feeling in all of them. It is like you are taken there for only an instant moment and come away in awe.
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/11/2012 12:15:55 AM
Quote:

The sunlight on the aquaduct painting is superb.

You can feel the warmth.

His structures are so believable.

Roger

It is all as you say, Roger. Thomas Cole may have not had a formal education in art as a youth other than his training as an engraver, but he certainly got to master painting from sheer practice and, I believe so, a deep urge to not only accurately paint what he saw but also to communicate what he felt at the sight of the imposing landscapes offered him by his country of adoption, the United States of America. In this way, he really conveyed through his art what he wanted to convey, warmth and light and also a sense of mistery that he for sure was able to perceive in them. But I am sure as well that his English heritage also played a role in all this: from what I have read about him, art, and particularly painting, was innate in him.

Hugs,

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/11/2012 12:53:13 AM
Quote:
I agree with you Roger.

Miguel of all the painters that you have posted i like Thomas Cole the best. There is just so much feeling in all of them. It is like you are taken there for only an instant moment and come away in awe.

Hi Myrna,

I am so happy that you
like Thomas Cole's paintings so much. It's like you say, there is so much feeling in them. Like you, I too can sense the emotion he must have felt at the sight of the imposing landscapes that he painted. And he was able to convey that very same emotion to the viewer of his works.

To me, one of the main things an artist must be able to communicate through his art is as much feeling as he can. But I am not sure which comes first, but he must also be a poet. In fact, Thomas Cole's art also expresses poetry and it does so by means of, among other things, the many delightful, poetic details in almost all of his paintings.

Hugs,

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/12/2012 2:27:47 AM
Hi dear friends,

I have been browsing the sites featuring Thomas Cole's works and becoming marveled at the beauty of some of his later works. The one shown on top of this post, for example, is so charming... perhaps in an old-fashioned way, but who cares about fashion at this point? And I am not sure, but highly contrasting with the other two, the one at the bottom may have been his very last work; but if so, my posting it now doesn't mean I will not be showcasing other of his earlier paintings later on.

Thomas Cole - Indian Pass Tahawus (oil on canvas, 1847)

Thomas Cole - Genessee Scenery (oil on canvas, 1847)

Thomas Cole - Cross at Sunset (oil on canvas, circa 1848)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/12/2012 5:59:44 PM

I am still enjoying the quiet beauty of these paintings.

The detail is worth inspecting.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!