Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: THE HUDSON RIVER SCHOOL - THOMAS COLE
5/5/2012 6:29:33 PM
Quote:
i Miguel,

No I did not see the boats inside the goblet, thanks for pointing that out. I was wondering what it meant, that makes sense to me. That is so cool. I love the way he puts people in all his paintings. It gives it so much meaning.

Yes Myrna, it makes sense to me as well since if you consider Atlantis to have been an island in a lake inside a continent (both the island and the continent called Atlantis by Plato), then the only way it may have sunk as legend has it is, it was the island Atlantis that disappeared in the "ocean" (actually a lake) and not the continent. In effect, the only continent existing at the time of its disappearance in the only possible location for it to exist as per Plato's account was the American continent and more precisely the South American continent, because in ancient times the Northern part of the continent was separated from its Southern counterpart. Most historians, scholars and general people have overlooked this fact and rejected the idea that Atlantis may have been a continent and, in a way (but only in a way) they were right.

If you remember, a few years ago I posted two articles about this topic
at Jill's Mountain of Love thread (here). One of them was written by a brilliant English investigator by the name Jim Allen, who formulated the above theory about Atlantis the continent; and the other by Martin Gray, a no-less brilliant investigator and photographer who claims the ruins of Tiahuanaco, in present-day Bolivia in South America, are the only direct remains left of Atlantis the island. I posted this fascinating material at my New Age forum as well (here).

Hugs,

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/5/2012 7:15:24 PM

Miguel,

The more that you look at The Italian Scene, the more detail that appears.

I wonder how many are painted on site or did he do detailed drawings?

I know that many feature are added but even so he must know these views.

Roger

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/6/2012 9:57:18 PM
Quote:

Miguel,

The more that you look at The Italian Scene, the more detail that appears.

I wonder how many are painted on site or did he do detailed drawings?

I know that many feature are added but even so he must know these views.

Roger

Interesting observations, Roger. About the many details, I believe they enrich the picture making it pretty special. And in this case, this more than ever has to do with the love for the past that the artists in the Romantic school are known to have professed.

Now as to your question, I only know what I have been able to learn, which is very little: it seems Thomas Cole painted this wonderful work from his recollections, such as he did with other great works like, for example, the beautiful painting below. But I guess he, like many artists did in the past, must have taken notes and made drawings of the things, maybe edifications, whenever he would meet with any that caught his eye. I guess he nowadays would use a camera, lol.

Thomas Cole - Summer Twilight: A Recollection of A Scene in New England
(oil on canvas, 1834)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/7/2012 11:02:34 AM
Dear friends,

The other series by Thomas Cole was actually painted two times, the first in 1838-39 and the second in 1842. Like the series on the course of civilization, they consist of four paintings each: in this case named Chilhood, Youth, Manhood and Old Age. I will post here the series painted in 1839-40, but since the second series - the one painted in 1842 - is as good as the first, I will post it immediately below.

THE VOYAGE OF LIFE (1st Series)

Thomas Cole - Childhood (oil on canvas, 1839-40)

Thomas Cole - Youth (oil on canvas, 1840)

Thomas Cole - Manhood (oil on canvas, 1840)

Thomas Cole - Old Age (oil on canvas, 1840)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/7/2012 3:39:02 PM
Here is the second series. As you may see, out of the four paintings that it also consists of, only the third - the one named Manhood - does differ from its par in the first series.

THE VOYAGE OF LIFE (2nd Series)

Thomas Cole - Childhood (oil on canvas, 1842)

Thomas Cole - Youth (oil on canvas, 1842)

Thomas Cole - Manhood (oil on canvas, 1842)

Thomas Cole - Old Age (oil on canvas, 1842)

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!