Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: THE HUDSON RIVER SCHOOL - THOMAS COLE
5/13/2012 12:12:41 AM
Hi Miguel,

This mountain on this painting is so beautiful. Roger, you have always mentioned mountain. Don't you think this one is unique? To me it looks like there is dip in it, or however you want to put it.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/13/2012 1:27:27 AM
WOW MYRNA.

what a beautiful painting.

pat

Quote:
Hi Miguel,

This mountain on this painting is so beautiful. Roger, you have always mentioned mountain. Don't you think this one is unique? To me it looks like there is dip in it, or however you want to put it.

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/13/2012 8:45:31 AM

Myrna,

Yes, the mountain is very beautiful and you are right in your observation.

I love the way in which great artists work, not just from observation but also by remembering how things change with light, time of day and the way in which clouds form and disperse.

You can immagine those lower clouds rolling down into the deep valley.

Maybe the bottom of the valley is where the river starts.

I see there is one of your beloved Native Americans in the picture.

Roger

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/14/2012 3:09:31 AM
Dear friends, Myrna, Pat, Roger,

To me, Thomas Cole's full mastery, including all of his vision of art, is most precisely demonstrated by the mountain you all have just referred to in your posts. Of course, it also includes the trees and the river, et cetera, on the forefront, as well as the clouds on top; but rather as a most beautiful natural frame contributed by mother nature surrounding or, rather, sheltering it. The fact remains, however, that it is the mountain that is mainly portrayed in this work.

This is easily demonstrated by the fact that the viewer's eye is almost immediately attracted by
the mountain; indeed, Thomas Cole, maybe intuitively, also mastered composition, and the fact that the mountain's lowest reaches start a little below the middle of the frame and then, as its upper portion rises up into the clouds, recede far away into the distance, helps the viewer's eye go from there in an ascending and semi-circular course firstly towards the top right angle of the frame and then - in an entirely natural fashion - in a counter-wise spiraling circle by following the trees' top and trunks, the river, and the rest of elements that constitute the valley in the forefront. This imaginary spiral or loop ultimately ends at the center of the work.

As to the great beauty of this fabulous painting, also in my view: apart from its beautiful colors and general composition, it strongly relies on the receding effect just mentioned, which apparently inspired Myrna's remark; on the
great mastery with which the mountain itself is painted; and, last but not least, on the multiple objects forming the "frame" as previously described - including the clouds at its top and the river and all the other elements of the nearby part of the valley on the forefront. All of it lends this master work such a dreamy and poetic and luminous quality that makes it unforgettable.

Hugs,

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/14/2012 9:20:24 AM

Well said Miguel.

We can all learn by looking and listening.

The framing and composition are beautifully balanced

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!