Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: THE HUDSON RIVER SCHOOL - THOMAS COLE
5/3/2012 10:31:07 PM
Dear friends,

I would like to showcase now three most impressive masterworks
by Thomas Cole - all very close in time from each other. The one on top will remind you of Moonlight in the previous page. The one in the middle has been haunting me for the last few weeks; I think I have dreamed about it. The one at the bottom is a recollection from Cole's Italian period.

Thomas Cole - Romantic Landscape with Ruined Tower (oil on canvas, 1832-36)

Thomas Cole - The Titan's Goblet (oil on canvas, 1833)

Thomas Cole - Italian Scene, Composition (oil on canvas, 1833)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/4/2012 7:30:00 AM

Miguel,

Wow. The second one

I aspire to do surrealist painting. I have the ideas but not yet the skill.

This is beautiful traditional landscape painting with a great message and concept.

I'm very impressed. It gives me inspiration.

Roger

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/5/2012 10:27:27 AM
Quote:

Miguel,

Wow. The second one

This is beautiful traditional landscape painting with a great message and concept.

Roger

Hi Roger,

I agree with you on all terms. As to the skill, it will eventually come. I guess it all consists in trying and never giving up, plus never being totally satisfied with our results (without exaggerating of course, as it would be self-defeating). Which of course I say to myself as well.

Have you seen the boats inside the goblet? I believe their presence is an attempt by Thomas Cole to represent Atlantis, which according to Plato was both a lake and a continent or, rather, a lake inside a continent, the two of them called indistinctly Atlantis by Plato.

I have an idea that Thomas Cole may have inspired Salvador Dali mainly
through his Titan's Goblet. In fact, this great work of art may have given him the very idea to do surrealist painting. What do you think?

I hope this belief of mine is not too far-fetched.

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/5/2012 3:35:29 PM
i Miguel,

No I did not see the boats inside the goblet, thanks for pointing that out. I was wondering what it meant, that makes sense to me. That is so cool. I love the way he puts people in all his paintings. It gives it so much meaning.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/5/2012 5:37:44 PM
Quote:
Quote:

Miguel,

Wow. The second one

Roger

Hi Roger,

I agree with you on all terms. As to the skill, it will eventually come. I guess it all consists in trying and never giving up, plus never being totally satisfied with our results (without exaggerating of course, as it would be self-defeating). Which of course I say to myself as well.

Have you seen the boats inside the goblet? I believe their presence is an attempt by Thomas Cole to represent Atlantis, which according to Plato was both a lake and a continent or, rather, a lake inside a continent, the two of them called indistinctly Atlantis by Plato.

I have an idea that Thomas Cole maybe inspired Salvador Dali mainly
through his Titan's Goblet. In fact, this great work of art may have given him the very idea to do surrealist painting. What do you think?

I hope this belief of mine is not too far-fetched.

Miguel

You could well be correct.

It certainly inspires me.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!