Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
RE: Mary Evelyn's Koffee Klatch
8/1/2012 11:59:56 AM

Happy Tuesday everyone. I was astounded when I read this article yesterday, astounded and angry, that our once great country has come to this. It seems that people who work and try accomplish something have no control over things they have worked for and criminals can just go in take whatever they want whenever they want.

Squatters in Littleton, Colo., Couple's Home Refuse to Vacate Despite Judge's Ruling

By Harris Effron Posted Jul 31st 2012 1:45PM
Despite a judge's ruling that a pair of squatters vacate a Colorado couple's home in two days, two weeks later they are still there, forcing the home's owners to stay put in a relative's basement.

Troy and Dayna Donovan (pictured above) had spent a few months away from their home in Littleton, Colo., and when they returned late last year they found another couple, who claimed that they bought the house, living there.
Veronica Fernandez-Beleta and her husband, Jose Rafael Levya-Caraveo (pictured in the yellow shirt at right), said that a man named Alfonso Carillo offered them a deed of adverse possession -- which purportedly allowed them, for $5,000, to take over the Donovans' house as abandoned property.

Earlier this month, the Donovans won an eight-month legal battle against the two in their home, and a judge ordered Fernandez-Beleta and Levya-Caraveo to vacate in two days.
See more of the Donovans' backstory on AOL Real Estate.

But that wasn't the end of the story.

As CBS Denver reported, Fernandez-Beleta and Levya-Caraveo have filed a "
flurry of legal paperwork," and are still living in the home on Mabre Court (pictured below). First, the two took the Donovans to court after the Donovans walked into the house through an unlocked door. The home occupants said that they were afraid for their safety and they were granted a restraining order, keeping the Donovans away from their own home.
Then, Fernandez-Beleta filed for bankruptcy, canceling the entire eviction process just hours before sheriffs were scheduled to remove them from the property.

"The Sheriff's Office will not proceed with an eviction if there is a bankruptcy in question,"
Arapahoe County Undersheriff David Walcher told the TV station.
This means that a Federal Bankruptcy Court will have to determine ownership of the house, which could take months, CBS Denver said.

But the Donovans aren't the only victims in this case. Fernandez-Beleta and Levya-Caraveo seemingly were conned by Carillo, a real estate agent whose license was revoked. Carillo has already been arrested twice in similar cases. In Colorado, a property can only be claimed through adverse possession if it is
vacant for 18 years; the Donovans were only gone for six months.

"You're going to lose your money, and you're going to lose the house eventually," criminal investigator Daniel Chun told Fernandez-Beleta and Levya-Caraveo.

When asked why they haven't left the home yet, Fernandez-Beleta and Levya-Caraveo's daughter, Caren, told
OurLittletonNews.com: "We were going to leave on Thursday [July 19th], but then the reporters came yelling, so we went back inside and decided to stay."

She said her family is unsure of what to do, and they can't afford to move.

The Donovans are still living in a relative's basement with their two children, possibly for the next several months, as this ordeal continues.

+0
8/1/2012 12:14:42 PM

You might want to get a hanky before you read this beautifully touching story. :)

Marie Marley, Author, Come Back Early Today: A Memoir of Love, Alzheimer's and Joy
Posted: 07/31/2012 7:51 am

"Please wear a tux," I said over the phone to Don, the classical violinist I was hiring to play a special concert for my Romanian soul mate, Ed, in his room at the Alois Alzheimer Center in Cincinnati. I described Ed's dementia to Don, adding that Ed had been a college professor who loved classical "moo-sic."

I was extremely nervous about the whole plan, worrying that Ed might be in a bad mood and tell Don to leave. After fretting about it for a few days, I decided to take the chance and go ahead despite my reservations. The concert would either bring Ed great joy or be a total disaster. That was just the way it was when you were dealing with a person with dementia.

When I arrived at Ed's room on the day of the concert, I was relieved to see the aide had him shaved and nicely dressed in a light blue shirt and his grey tweed sport coat, the one with leather patches on the elbows. Believe it or not, it was the same sport coat he was wearing the day I met him way back in 1975.

At the appointed time I went down to the lobby to meet Don. I introduced myself and then we walked toward Ed's room. I was about to learn how Ed was going to receive Don. Our entrance startled Ed and he jerked to attention. I introduced them and told Ed that Don was going to play a special violin concert for him.

"Oh. Superb! Wonderful! I'm honored!" Ed said as he shook Don's hand.

I had the feeling Ed was really impressed by the tux.

So Ed was honored and I was relieved. I set up my tripod and fastened my camera to it. I planned to take many pictures, hoping to get at least a few good shots of what I hoped was going to be a special occasion. The longer Ed was at Alois, the more I felt photographs would be important to me later.

Don sat down on the tan metal folding chair I'd placed in front of Ed. He scooted the chair even closer, only about two feet from Ed, and began playing a Strauss waltz. The sounds were lively and luscious. I watched as his bow flew up and down, his fingers danced around, and his head snapped back on the high notes. Ed looked captivated. His eyes glued to Don, he had a rapt expression on his face and moved in time with the music.

"Bravo! Bravo!" he boomed in his deep bass voice while clapping at the end of the waltz. "That was the most beautiful moo-sic I have heard ever in my entire, very long, and I emphasize very long life!"

Don thanked him and began playing a Romanian piece, as I'd previously requested. It was a Rhapsody by Enesco. Ed smiled broadly but I couldn't tell if he realized it was music from his homeland.

"Bravo! Bravo!" he called out again, clapping like before. "That was the most beautiful moo-sic I've heard," he said. "Ever," he added. "I don't have words to say how happy I am that you are playing just for me."

"Thanks," Don said. "I'm glad you liked it."

"My father played the violin," Ed said, "but not nearly as well as you."

Ed reached his hand toward Don and Don grasped and held it.

"What did you teach when you were a professor?" Don asked.

"I don't r-r-remember," Ed answered. Then he added, "Honestly, I'm not even sure I was a professor."

Then since there were so many Gypsies in Romania and that was part of Ed's culture, I asked Don to play some Gypsy music. He played Bizet's Habañera from Carmen, and Ed sang along, jabbing his index finger in the air in time with the music.

"Tra la la-la, la la la la-la," he sang, a big smile on his face and a twinkle in his eyes.

"Bravo! Bravo!" he shouted when Don finished. "That was the most beautiful moo-sic I have heard ever in my entire very long, and I emphasize very long life," he said for the third time. "You are the most talented 'moo-si-cian' I have ever heard, and I r-r-really mean it from my heart -- it's not just words from my lips."

Don played half an hour longer, the music interspersed with more hand holding and small talk. When the concert was finished, I asked Don to sit on the sofa beside Ed so I could take a picture of them. Ed put his hand on Don's arm and I snapped the photo. After that Don tried to rise to leave but he had trouble because Ed wouldn't turn loose of his arm. Finally Don extricated himself.

"When are you coming back?" Ed asked.

Since Don didn't know to say "tomorrow," I jumped in.

I always said I'd come back "tomorrow" because it made Ed happy and I knew he'd never know the difference.

"He's coming back tomorrow," I said, winking at Don, hoping he'd get the message.

"Oh! How wonderful! I'll be here waiting for you."

Don left after many more good-byes, more excited compliments from Ed and thanks from me. I felt gratified I'd been able to do something that had brought Ed so much joy.

Some of the photographs were adorable. They captured the happiness of a man who had lost so much, yet was still capable of great joy. He was a man who wouldn't remember the concert the following day, but he thoroughly enjoyed every second of it as it happened. In the pictures Ed looked as happy as I'd ever seen him. One of them showed them sitting on the sofa, with Ed putting his hand on Don's arm, as proud as if he were sitting next to the President or the Queen of England or something.

And I still have those photographs to remind me of Ed's hour of joy.

Note: This story was awarded Honorable Mention in the 2012 Writers-Editors Network International Writing Competition. For more stories about Ed, read Come Back Early Today: A Memoir of Love, Alzheimer's and Joy, and visit my website, which also contains a wealth of Alzheimer's caregiver information.

+0
8/2/2012 12:42:37 AM
Got this one from my brother. If this girl were in the Olympics, she'd get a gold medal! Wow!
My doctor recently suggest that I take up the hula hoop for a good type of cardio exercise. She also advised me that it was not as easy now as it was when I was 15. I quickly informed her that I could not hula hoop even when I was 15.
So, the next day I went to WalMart and bought a hoop.
It's true, I STILL can't master the darned thing, try as I might.
Then, low and behold, this video was sent to me today.
I now have a purpose for honing my hula hoop skills
(although I don't think this is exactly what she had in mind)!
I'll keep you posted on my progress.
The wine part is down however!
It gets better and better! JUST WAIT TILL THE END

A glass of Red Wine
+0
8/2/2012 12:41:03 PM
Inspirational Quote of the Day

Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it.

Micheal Jordan
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/2/2012 4:21:41 PM
Hi Evelyn and friends,

You may have seen this earlier today... a daughter like there aren't many!

Hugs,

Miguel

Woman lifts car off father, saves his life

Lauren Kornacki's quick thinking most likely saved her father's life when a car he was working on fell on him.

With more than a ton-and-a-half a BMW 525i on top of her dad, Lauren's called on her strength and smarts.

"I just lifted up kind of right here and just kind of threw it, shoved my body into it as hard as I could. And then I came back and dragged him out and started CPR," Kornacki told Fox 19.

"It flashed like, 'I'm going to lose my dad. His eyes were open; he wasn't responding to me. I knew I had to get his heart beating again, and I had to get him breathing," she told the TV station.

CNN reports that Lauren, 22 of Glen Allen, Va. is a former basketball player and is trained in CPR.

Alec Kornacki is being treated at the Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center. He has several broken ribs, some numbness and other fractures, according to CNN.

When his wife Liz Kornacki told him what happened, he told his daughter, "'Thank you for saving my life,' " Liz Kornacki told Fox 19.
"And she just smiled her blue-eyed smile, and that was it."

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!