Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: THE EUROPEAN ROMANTICISM IN ART - CASPAR DAVID FRIEDRICH
4/23/2011 5:22:19 PM
Dear Friends,

I have been trying to find out what it was that made Caspar David Friedrich paint those frequently somber canvases where isolation and death seem to be the main subject. Was this fatalism and obsession for death of his a genetic trend, maybe accentuated by the physical environs of his birth land? Probably it was, and the fact that "he came of age at a period when, across Europe,
a growing disillusionment with materialistic society was giving rise to a new appreciation of spirituality" (Wikipedia) may have played a part in this propensity, too.

Caspar David Friedrich - Cemetery at Dusk (oil on canvas, 1824-1826)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/23/2011 11:10:23 PM
Quote:
And here is a jewel of a painting, also from Caspar David Friedrich's period prior to 1824. While it must have been pretty easy for him to paint it as its execution would not seem to present any unsurmountable difficulty, it nevertheless possesses most impressive features to the average viewer. Here the symbolism is pretty obvious and I will not provide any explanation of it, rather, I invite our visitors to verify it on their own. Also, it is a subject that has been favored by several other artists including, in more recent times, Salvador Dali.

Woman at a Window (1822, oil on canvas)

This wonderful picture is even better than appears. I was looking at some other sites and checked this painting while I was there. It appears that most of the copies on the webb are like tghis one, but, the googleart copy is brilliant in colour. The shame is I can't find a way to copy it and bring it here.

Roger

Here is the link

http://www.googleartproject.com/museums/altesnational/woman-at-a-window#

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/23/2011 11:25:29 PM

Here is a rather misty myserious painting

Monk by the sea

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/24/2011 10:55:29 AM
Quote:
Quote:
And here is a jewel of a painting, also from Caspar David Friedrich's period prior to 1824. While it must have been pretty easy for him to paint it as its execution would not seem to present any unsurmountable difficulty, it nevertheless possesses most impressive features to the average viewer. Here the symbolism is pretty obvious and I will not provide any explanation of it, rather, I invite our visitors to verify it on their own. Also, it is a subject that has been favored by several other artists including, in more recent times, Salvador Dali.

Woman at a Window (1822, oil on canvas)

This wonderful picture is even better than appears. I was looking at some other sites and checked this painting while I was there. It appears that most of the copies on the webb are like tghis one, but, the googleart copy is brilliant in colour. The shame is I can't find a way to copy it and bring it here.

Roger

Here is the link

http://www.googleartproject.com/museums/altesnational/woman-at-a-window#

Roger, I tried the link and you are right, the image in the site that it took me to is so brilliant in color. The problem is, it is not an image file proper but a flash image which cannot be copied.

What I have done is work the version in my own files at Photoshop for a similar result as the one in the site which you can view below. I hope you like it.

Caspar David Friedrich - Woman at a Window
(Photoshoped by me)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/24/2011 12:35:49 PM

That is genius Luis.

You've made a huge difference, well done.

+0