Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: THE EUROPEAN ROMANTICISM IN ART - CASPAR DAVID FRIEDRICH
4/14/2011 1:10:50 AM
Dear friends,

I would like to show now three great paintings by Caspar Davis Friedrich. They were painted in 1822 and 1823 and go from a pretty unknown canvas, a landscape, to a couple of pretty famous master works. Here is the first one, a beautiful, idyllic landscape.

Caspar David Friedrich - Morning in the Mountains (oil on canvas, 1822-23)

The second one is a village landscape with a most conspicuous tree in the foreground which, knowing of Friedrich's love of symbolism, probably is a representation of the Tree of Life.

Caspar David Friedrich - Village Landscape in Morning Light ("The Lone Tree") (oil on canvas, 1822)

Finally, a pretty impressive, dramatic portrait of a tree with crows painted in about 1822. It is preserved in the Musée du Louvre, Paris.

Caspar David Friedrich - Tree with Crows (oil on canvas, circa 1822)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/14/2011 7:46:54 AM

Time short but I'm enjoying this a great deal.

Roger

+0
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/14/2011 1:21:39 PM
Myrna you've got good eyes! Luis' explanation fits with the crutches left beside the Christ on the Cross-which I did not see until you pointed out the crutches in the snow.
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/14/2011 3:15:18 PM
Hi Luis,

I really like Caspar paintings, this one to me is so peaceful and clear, very little fog, Caspar brings out the quietness in me just by looking at this. The little ponds and the animals.
Then I wonder what kind of storms this tree has been through with it's broken limbs.
Have you noticed on so many of his paintings he has a church steeple, some times only a part of it, but it is there.
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/18/2011 1:34:20 AM
Quote:
Hi Luis,

I really like Caspar paintings, this one to me is so peaceful and clear, very little fog, Caspar brings out the quietness in me just by looking at this. The little ponds and the animals.
Then I wonder what kind of storms this tree has been through with it's broken limbs.
Have you noticed on so many of his paintings he has a church steeple, some times only a part of it, but it is there.

Dear Myrna,

Thanks for this most stimulating post. But first, please forgive me for my delay in replying. As I told Roger this morning (in another thread of this forum) these last days have been pure madness to me for several reasons, and I have hardly been able to post anything at my forums - let alone other forums.

As to your comment, Caspar David Friedrich seems to have been sort of obsessed about certain things, for example, fog, mountains and, of course, trees; if not, why would he paint them so frequently in his works? I don't believe he only was trying to find a style to impress their viewers with strangely twisted shapes and an atmosphere of mystery; he rather seems to have been a great and honest artist without other interests than a natural desire to communicate his vision of life through his art. This vision was primarily of a spiritual sort, which he most frequenly expressed through such symbols as those I have just mentioned plus the steepled churches that you mention. This makes sense if you consider that all of these symbols consist of vertical forms oriented to heaven. The fog sometimes occults these symbols but for those who can see, they become visible even in the fog through an ocassional ray of light from the sun which, of course, represents God and his angelic powers.

All of this obviously has to do with our personal spiritual journey, such as in Jill's journey to the Mountain of Love only in this case the mountains and trees and churches rather are the path (the Axis Mundi) and not the divine goal proper. But the idea is the same.

Thanks again,

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!