Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Gardening, indoors and outdoors
10/22/2010 10:19:26 PM
Hi Cheryl,

Mountain Laurel is Pennsylvania state flower. It is so pretty.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Cheryl Maples

39965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/17/2011 4:42:44 AM
Hello everyone,

I am back home now after visiting and working on my sister's iris farm in California. It's been crazy weather everywhere and the iris bloom was late. I do not stay to help out for the whole time as my sister has Open Fields on weekends for 5 weeks. I just stayed for only 2 weeks this year.

On weekends I work in the shade houses with Mom who pots them and looks after them the rest of the year. She is 87 and is doing great! She cannot do as much as she used to be able to do, though.

Yesterday my sister reported they had hail!!! She will be open one more weekend and was concerned there would be frost. They had a lot of wind yesterday, too.

Because the bloom was so slow and late, I did not see all the seedlings blooming. They hybridize, too. I really like one of my brother-in-law's hybrids that was introduced last year called Splatter Matters. I'll have to get a picture of it on here but haven't put my pictures on my computer yet.

I was delighted to enjoy some real sunshine and slightly warmer weather while I was there. Spring is struggling to get here north of Seattle. I have to grow my irises in pots and they are not too happy with all the rain we've gotten this winter. I have numerous bloom stalks showing and a couple of them are showing a little bit of color. Soon they'll be blooming! Normally most of them would already have bloomed. One advantage of the late bloom is that I will get to see mine bloom.

I'll see what I can do to get some pictures of the iris farm and some blooms posted here soon.

Cheryl
Cheryl Maples, LMT Catch Your Dream 727-504-4721 cheryl.maples@gmail.com https://cherylmaples.myitworks.com/ultimatemakeover
+0
Cheryl Maples

39965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/12/2011 5:39:56 AM
Well, you all know how things go with weeds and yard work.

We just have small yards here and as much as I'd like to have more space around me, it's a blessing for now. I am weeding and trimming at my mother-in-law's too. I am almost done there. Well, "done" means the catching up and not the ongoing maintenance that comes with a yard and gardening. There's no mowing so that's nice.

I have a bit more to go at our place. If you blink your eyes, weeds have a way of taking over! I am not done telling them all to take a hike.

Of course, there are also the slugs which are prevalent here. I never knew one place could have so many. Unfortunately I was not able to get over to the Slug Festival at Wildlife Trek Park. I really wanted to go to get a Slug PhD. I'll get one next year. I am sure the slugs will still be here. They like irises. I don't like them liking MY irises so well!

I've discovered something about rhododendrons, too. They are sticky! Their sticky stuff gets all over the lopping shears when you are trimming them. My first try to clean them up using alcohol was not effective but I think I may have something now. I'll tell you one thing, this is a whole lot different than Florida.

Everybody says not to work in the heat. Heat? Humidity? I didn't notice. In Florida, it's in the 90's. Both, sometimes. Maybe most times in the summer. Anyway, out here you don't sweat till it drips off your nose, glasses, hair, anything. Your clothes don't get soaked through with sweat either. Those are pluses in my book. So I say, what heat? I think it's great to work outside here. Course most of the year here I wear a sweatshirt jacket or an insulated jacket and don't want to go out because of the constant rain.

I am just rejoicing that every few days or so it warms up enough to wear shorts and a t-shirt. The natives are nuts going around in shorts when it is just plain cold!!!

So, how's the gardening in your area?

Cheryl

Cheryl Maples, LMT Catch Your Dream 727-504-4721 cheryl.maples@gmail.com https://cherylmaples.myitworks.com/ultimatemakeover
+0
7/12/2011 4:14:09 PM

Cheryl, it sounds like you have been working very hard and not even getting a sweat on!!! Some of that could be nice but as you say, I don't like cold!

Interesting about the slugs. We have those but our main problem is grasshoppers, they eat on everything, even the blooms!!

Hey, it is good to hear from you and like your stories a lot on how people do things in different places.

Here is our row of tomatoes I took just yesterday, we have an ample supply of dandelions that need pulling!!

Tomatoes 2011

It is so nice to have fresh tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers right now.

See you later, I hope,

Sara

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/12/2011 10:09:06 PM

I learned a tip recently that seems to work on those pesky slugs.

Garlic.

I don't know if you have wild garlic there is some parts of the US. Here in England it grows in woodland and is mainly a leaf, unlike proper bulb garlic. If you have wild garlic you will need a couple of handfulls in a pan of water and simmer for twenty minutes. Pour the liqid into a jar and when you need it just add some to your watering can. Water over things like hostas or lettuces etc.

Apparently you can do the same with bulbs of garlic.

I've been testing this and it seems to work.

Roger

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!