Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Cheryl Maples

39965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Gardening, indoors and outdoors
11/3/2011 3:35:15 AM
Hi everyone,

It is leaf raking time in our neck of the woods. It's not so bad when they are dry but it's raining here so much it is hard to rake them when they're dry.

They are beautiful this year, golds, yellow, bright reds, and sort of a coral red, too.

The weather is just right for leaf spot on my irises and it's hard to spray around the rain.

The chickadees, house finches, goldfinches, and nuthatches are all eating the sunflower seeds like crazy and the hanging feeder is hard to keep up with. I am looking at my hanging bird bath and wondering how long I can leave it out. It is plain clay, no glaze, and I don't want it to crack or disintegrate in freezing temperatures. Anyone know about that? (Remember I am a Florida girl and not experienced with these things. This is the first year I've had the hanging bird bath. I love it and so do the birds and squirrels.)

Thanks!

Cheryl
Cheryl Maples, LMT Catch Your Dream 727-504-4721 cheryl.maples@gmail.com https://cherylmaples.myitworks.com/ultimatemakeover
+0
Cheryl Maples

39965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/24/2011 4:42:56 AM
Hello Everyone,
I wish all you gardeners a wonderful Thanksgiving! What's going on in your part of the world. We are having rain, which is good in some ways because it means it's a little warmer (in the 40's) and not snowing! There is snow in the mountains and passes, though.

This week was the last week of our CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) organic food box till summer. I will miss it.

Most of the leaves are down now except for the evergreens, pines, firs, etc. There is still raking left to do.

I think of Florida and all the nice sunshine and I know it is still warm there. Actually, it is probably really nice there right now.

What's it like in your neighborhood?

Cheryl
Cheryl Maples, LMT Catch Your Dream 727-504-4721 cheryl.maples@gmail.com https://cherylmaples.myitworks.com/ultimatemakeover
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/27/2011 8:30:45 PM
Hi Cheryl,

I planted some lettuce, spinach, and beans on Aug 23, 2011. Well I found out it was to late for the beans, but the lettuce ans spinach is wonderful. I just noticed yesterday that the spinach needs to be cut off again. I see a little lettuce too. It is so good to have the fresh lettuce from my garden at this time of the year.

Of course, we still have the lovely fleas. I am having such fun keeping them off of the cat. I did find that Borax is wonderful. I sprinkled all over the rugs, let it on a few days then vacuumed, it worked. But Buddy wants to keep going outside, so I get out the fine toothed comb and comb away. It is 64 degrees and you can't get rid of fleas with it being this warm. Never thought I would be wanting cold weather, but I do right now. lol

Happy gardening
Myrna
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
11/27/2011 11:47:33 PM
Hello Cheryl and Myrna, I happened upon this thread from seeing Myrna's last post here in the post history.
Myrna when my parents were alive they always planted two crops of turnip greens, mustard greens and kale, one in the spring and one in the fall. My mother would parboil and freeze the greens and the turnips went in the root cellar. I never cared much for cooked turnips but I love turnip greens mixed and cooked with mustard greens and kale. Sure was good with a big hunk of cornbread and a bowl of pinto beans. (Precious memories.) :)
Cheryl the weather here in SW Florida is gorgeous with plenty of sunshine and a high temperature today of 80º but then that is why I moved here and even though I am now hundreds of miles away from family and friends, I love it here and feel right at home. I do not like cold weather and the weather in Tennessee even cooperated last week when I went back for Thanksgiving and my oldest granddaughter's birthday. It was unseasonably warm and I told everyone I brought the warm weather with me. LOL I doubt it will be that nice though when I go back for Christmas next month.
It has been many years since I have had a garden to gather fresh produce from. There is a roadside market near where I live that has locally grown produce which is wonderful. In this area there are a lot of fresh produce stands so I shouldn't have any problem getting fresh fruits and vegetables year round. There is also an orange grove a couple of miles away where you can buy fresh oranges straight off the trees. I'm not sure but on the other side of the road it looked as though those trees might be lemon trees. I plan on stopping one day next week when I go out that way and I'll find out then.
Have a wonderful week ladies.
PS: I forgot to tell you about my morning visitor. I converted one of the bedrooms, that is in front of the house, into my home office so I could look out the window while I am computing. Well this morning when I raised the redi shade I am using until I get the blinds installed, there was a 3 or 4 foot long black SNAKE in the shrubbery staring back at me and when I knocked on the window to try to make it go away it just stuck its' tongue out at me. I hate SNAKES!!!! Anyway while I was in the kitchen making a cup of coffee it left but I know it is more than likely still around here and too I have always heard if there is one there are two. I know one thing that shrubbery has to go. I don't like it anyway and will probably plant something else there, like flowers or something that will not grow up very high.
+0
Cheryl Maples

39965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/8/2012 3:14:50 PM
Hi everyone,

Well, I am back here at my sister's iris farm outside Napa, CA, near Lake Berryessa. I have survived my first three-day weekend working here. A whole bunch of people come out to see the Garden. There is about two of the acres planted in irises. I think there must be 400 to 450 or so, varieties and of course, many plants of each variety. It is quite spectacular. I will have to figure out how to post pictures in the forums so I can put some here.

The next best thing is just to give you the website here. Some of the pictures should show you what it looks like here. http://www.napairis.com

My sister and brother-in-law do all the work and I just come to help out. I work in the two shade houses where we sell the irises in pots. They are usually blooming but the bloom is late this year. The weather hasn't been a little different.

There are a few picnic tables and many places to spread a blanket. There is no place nearby so many people bring a picnic lunch and plan to spend the day. It is about 14 miles outside of Napa, and yes, it is in wine country and it's beautiful here. There are grassy "aisles" between the beds. It's a lot of mowing and it looks like a manicured garden.

My sister and brother-in-law also hybridize and release new varieties every year along with varieties from other hybridizers. There are a lot of old standbys too. I have some favorites that don't change, and some that are new every year that get added to my list. Of course many of these have followed me back up to WA, north of Seattle, so I have a "few" up there, too. Unfortunately they do not grow in Florida.

This is the first year I have worn shorts in the Spring. It's usually hot in the Fall when I visit to help with part of the planting. They've had more rain than usual, causing some problems but everything is really beautiful and green.

If you live out this way, come visit. I'll be here Mother's Day weekend, which is really busy for us here. There will be lots of picnickers enjoying the weather and the scenery.

Of course, working here limits my time on line. I haven't picked a favorite one for this year yet so I am going to walk the field again. We are about at peak bloom in the fields now. One of my favorites is one of my brother-in-law's hybrids, Splatter Matters.

Have fun!
Cheryl
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!