Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Who do we think that we are?
7/16/2012 7:35:29 PM

Who would like to share their roots here?

It would be great to hear from a Native American or somebody with latin ancestry.

Please share your roots here.

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/16/2012 10:04:25 PM
Hi Roger,

You ask for ancestors. Well I too come from the Irish/English background. I wish too I new a native american, but I don't. However I looked something to give them a place here. I feel these people have been more abused then any other people on this earth. I feel the Indians have so many answers to life and how they lived long before any religion entered here. They have a lot of knowledge that has been kept from us. Here is some info. on the Indians from the Eastern United States.

Cherokee Indian Tribe

A powerful detached tribe of the Iroquoian family, formerly holding the whole mountain region of the south Alleghenies, in southwest Virginia, western North Carolina and South Carolina, north Georgia, east Tennessee, and northeast Alabama, and claiming even to the Ohio River.

The tribal name is a corruption of Tsálăgĭ or Tsárăgĭ, the name by which they commonly called themselves, and which may be derived from the Choctaw chiluk-ki 'cave people', in allusion to the numerous caves in their mountain country. They sometimes also call themselves Ani'-Yûñ-wiyd', 'real people,' or Anĭ'-Kitu'hwagĭ, 'people of Kituhwa', one of their most important ancient settlements. Their northern kinsmen, the Iroquois, called them Oyata`geronoñ', 'inhabitants of the cave country' (Hewitt), and the Delawares and connected tribes called them Kittuwa, from the settlement already noted. They seem to be identical with the Rickohockans, who invaded central Virginia in 1658, and with the ancient Talligewi, of Delaware tradition, who were represented to have been driven southward from the upper Ohio River region by the combined forces of the Iroquois and Delawares.

The language has three principal dialects:

1. Elatĭ, or Lower, spoken on the heads of Savannah River, in South Carolina and Georgia;
  2. Middle, spoken chiefly on the waters of Tuckasegee River, in western North Carolina, and now the prevailing dialect on the East Cherokee reservation;
  3. A'tŭli, Mountain or Upper, spoken throughout most of upper Georgia, east Tennessee, and extreme western North Carolina. The lower dialect was the only one which had the r sound, and is now extinct. The upper dialect is that which has been exclusively used in the native literature of the tribe.

Traditional, linguistic, and archeological evidence shows that the Cherokee originated in the north, but they were found in possession of the south Allegheny region when first encountered by De Soto in 1540. Their relations with the Carolina colonies began 150 years later. In 1736 the Jesuit (?) Priber started the first mission among them, and attempted to organize their government on a civilized basis. In 1759, under the leadership of A'ganstâ'ta (Oconostota), they began war with the English of Carolina. In the Revolution they took sides against the Americans, and continued the struggle almost without interval until 1794. During this period parties of the Cherokee pushed down Tennessee River and formed new settlements at Chickamauga and other points about the Tennessee-Alabama line. Shortly after 1800, missionary and educational work was established among theme, and in 1820 they adopted a regular form of government modeled on that of the United States. In the meantime large numbers of the more conservative Cherokee, wearied by the encroachments of the whites, had crossed the Mississippi and made new homes in the wilderness in what is now Arkansas. A year or two later Sequoya (q. v.), a mixed-blood, invented the alphabet, which at once raised them to the rank of a literary people.

At the height of their prosperity gold was discovered near the present Dahlonega, Ga., within the limits of the Cherokee Nation, and at once a powerful agitation was begun for the removal of the Indians. After years of hopeless struggle under the leadership of their great chief, John Ross, they were compelled to submit to the inevitable, and by the treaty of New Echota, Dec. 29, 1835, the Cherokee sold their entire remaining territory and agreed to remove beyond the Mississippi to a country there to be set apart for them-the present (1890) Cherokee Nation in Indian Territory. The removal was accomplished in the winter of 1838-39, after considerable hardship and the loss of nearly one-fourth of their number, the unwilling Indians being driven out by military force and making the long journey on foot. On reaching their destination they reorganized their national government, with their capital at Tahlequah, admitting to equal privileges the earlier emigrants, known as "old settlers." A part of the Arkansas Cherokee had previously gone down into Texas, where they had obtained a grant of land in the east part of the state from the Mexican government. The later Texan revolutionists refused to recognize their rights, and in spite of the efforts of Gen. Sam Houston, who defended the Indian claim, a conflict was precipitated, resulting, in 1839, in the killing of the Cherokee chief, Bowl, with a large number of his men, by the Texan troops, and the expulsion of the Cherokee from Texas.

more
LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Branka Babic

1352 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
7/27/2012 5:54:34 AM
Quote:

Seeing these beautiful reminders of the past served to teach me a lesson.

This week in the UK we have a visit from the Pope. There are very mixed feelings, coming on the heels of the abuse scandals in the Catholic Church.

Montecute House was built at a time when Catholicism in England was very much under pressure and Elizabeth I was queen. (Daughter of Henry VIII who decared himself head of a new Church of England and kicked off a protestant separation). The churches are trying hard to reach new agreements but the main differences are huge. Still, any progress is good.

My point is this. In my unforgiving youth I was guilty of saying to a devout Catholic "I can't understand anybody with a tiny bit of intelligence being a Catholic".

Why did I say such a horribly hurtful thing? Because, in my limited knowledge I had been taught to speak directly to my God and taught that Catholics thought that they could only do so through Mary.

This is just how misunderstandings come about.

My thought today was this

Through the discoveries of science, the growth of other world religions and the rapidity of communications, our understanding of this world and it's people is now very confused. What are we to believe?

Most people will agree that, most of the worlds major religions have similar beliefs and values but big factors still make it impossible to bring them together in proper agreement.

It is so arrogant to believe that, just because all of today's information was not available to the people of 1500's that their views were wrong or based upon ignorance. Christianity today is being secularised, sqeezed and battered and frankly ignored too by many, but we have to remember that THE BEST BRAINS of former times were happy to believe in the Gospel of Jesus Christ and indeed die for it. Some, admittedly believed because they thought it was their insurance for the next life, but others through history STUDIED and comitted themselves to the christian cause. Other religions too employed the best brains to build their credibility.

We really need to look to simpler times and put ourselves back to a place nearer to nature. When death was accepted and came at an early age, when to toil was mostly man's lot.

I am not promoting my Christian beliefs and I'm not attacking the non-christians either. What I am doing however is reminding myself that. Who am I to dismiss the beliefs of years as shallow when I see the beauty that they were capable of producing often in the name of their God.

We are in danger of becoming accepters. We need to sometimes test our faith and strenghthen it.

I love to see open minds. I see people here who have no problem in accepting UFO's, aliens and God. There were times when many of today's accepted things (dancing/TV/sensible drinking) were thought ungodly. Are they now or do we shift the goalposts when we think fit?

Roger,

We need more of this stuff.
I have re-read it a several times, and then have shared it web-wide.

Thanks friend!
+0
Branka Babic

1352 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
7/27/2012 6:29:04 AM
Now have read through all the posts here, and they are great.

In my region there's one weird thing. People's feelings are mixed between their national and religious "belonging". So, being Croat means being Roman Catholic, being Serb means being Serbian Orthodox Christian (Serbian Orthodox Church is autocephal). And part of former Yugoslavia Muslims, who once mainly were Serbs or Croats, today declare their both: nation and religion as MUSLIM.

Religions support intolerance, lack of confidence and hate to those who are different. Even those who are atheists, are closed within their national & religious "sheepfolds". Very difficult situation, far away of common sense, which almost each 50 years results with bloody civil war, with a hundreds of thousands slaughtered victims, among who is a huge number of women, kids and elders. Conspiracy theories condemn international factors, but I am convinced that only one thing is to be condemned: IGNORANCE, ARROGANCE AND LACK OF A N Y FAITH.

Religion should stop be A FACTOR OF NOMENCLATURE!!!

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/27/2012 7:26:20 AM

Branka,

I pray that the day will come where we discover that al of us were singing from the same hymnsheet afterall.

Roger

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!