Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Who do we think that we are?
9/19/2010 1:13:49 AM
Hi Roger,

I think I am in love with this tree. It surely has character, so neat.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/19/2010 9:27:55 AM

Myrna,

This chestnut is thought to be around four hundred years old which would take it back to the time when colonies were being formed in the USA.

I know of trees with a bigger girth but it doesn't always demonstratge age.

Some of the Yew trees in the garden are edven older.

Roger

+0
9/19/2010 1:04:09 PM
Quote:

Seeing these beautiful reminders of the past served to teach me a lesson.

This week in the UK we have a visit from the Pope. There are very mixed feelings, coming on the heels of the abuse scandals in the Catholic Church.

Montecute House was built at a time when Catholicism in England was very much under pressure and Elizabeth I was queen. (Daughter of Henry VIII who declared himself head of a new Church of England and kicked off a protestant separation). The churches are trying hard to reach new agreements but the main differences are huge. Still, any progress is good.

My point is this. In my unforgiving youth I was guilty of saying to a devout Catholic "I can't understand anybody with a tiny bit of intelligence being a Catholic".

Why did I say such a horribly hurtful thing? Because, in my limited knowledge I had been taught to speak directly to my God and taught that Catholics thought that they could only do so through Mary.

This is just how misunderstandings come about.

My thought today was this

Through the discoveries of science, the growth of other world religions and the rapidity of communications, our understanding of this world and it's people is now very confused. What are we to believe?

Most people will agree that, most of the worlds major religions have similar beliefs and values but big factors still make it impossible to bring them together in proper agreement.

It is so arrogant to believe that, just because all of today's information was not available to the people of 1500's that their views were wrong or based upon ignorance. Christianity today is being secularised, squeezed and battered and frankly ignored too by many, but we have to remember that THE BEST BRAINS of former times were happy to believe in the Gospel of Jesus Christ and indeed die for it. Some, admittedly believed because they thought it was their insurance for the next life, but others through history STUDIED and committed themselves to the christian cause. Other religions too employed the best brains to build their credibility.

We really need to look to simpler times and put ourselves back to a place nearer to nature. When death was accepted and came at an early age, when to toil was mostly man's lot.

I am not promoting my Christian beliefs and I'm not attacking the non-christians either. What I am doing however is reminding myself that. Who am I to dismiss the beliefs of years as shallow when I see the beauty that they were capable of producing often in the name of their God.

We are in danger of becoming accepters. We need to sometimes test our faith and strengthen it.

I love to see open minds. I see people here who have no problem in accepting UFO's, aliens and God. There were times when many of today's accepted things (dancing/TV/sensible drinking) were thought ungodly. Are they now or do we shift the goalposts when we think fit?

Roger, well stated, my friend. It echoes many of my own thoughts but I could never put it so eloquently.

In my own Baptist upbringing, being Catholic was condemned. We were taught to not associate with nor attend their churches. Well, I have always been a little rebellious and when asked to be Best Maid to my friend in her Catholic wedding, I had no hesitation. I have always tried to see a person, not their religion.

Thank you for this forum, all the wonders standing for centuries and reminding us how really small we are in comparison.

Have a wonderful day,

Sara

+0
Amanda Martin-Shaver

2587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/19/2010 2:50:53 PM
Quote:

Seeing these beautiful reminders of the past served to teach me a lesson.

This week in the UK we have a visit from the Pope. There are very mixed feelings, coming on the heels of the abuse scandals in the Catholic Church.

Montecute House was built at a time when Catholicism in England was very much under pressure and Elizabeth I was queen. (Daughter of Henry VIII who declared himself head of a new Church of England and kicked off a protestant separation). The churches are trying hard to reach new agreements but the main differences are huge. Still, any progress is good.

My point is this. In my unforgiving youth I was guilty of saying to a devout Catholic "I can't understand anybody with a tiny bit of intelligence being a Catholic".

Why did I say such a horribly hurtful thing? Because, in my limited knowledge I had been taught to speak directly to my God and taught that Catholics thought that they could only do so through Mary.

This is just how misunderstandings come about.

My thought today was this

Through the discoveries of science, the growth of other world religions and the rapidity of communications, our understanding of this world and it's people is now very confused. What are we to believe?

Most people will agree that, most of the worlds major religions have similar beliefs and values but big factors still make it impossible to bring them together in proper agreement.

It is so arrogant to believe that, just because all of today's information was not available to the people of 1500's that their views were wrong or based upon ignorance. Christianity today is being secularised, squeezed and battered and frankly ignored too by many, but we have to remember that THE BEST BRAINS of former times were happy to believe in the Gospel of Jesus Christ and indeed die for it. Some, admittedly believed because they thought it was their insurance for the next life, but others through history STUDIED and committed themselves to the christian cause. Other religions too employed the best brains to build their credibility.

We really need to look to simpler times and put ourselves back to a place nearer to nature. When death was accepted and came at an early age, when to toil was mostly man's lot.

I am not promoting my Christian beliefs and I'm not attacking the non-christians either. What I am doing however is reminding myself that. Who am I to dismiss the beliefs of years as shallow when I see the beauty that they were capable of producing often in the name of their God.

We are in danger of becoming accepters. We need to sometimes test our faith and strengthen it.

I love to see open minds. I see people here who have no problem in accepting UFO's, aliens and God. There were times when many of today's accepted things (dancing/TV/sensible drinking) were thought ungodly. Are they now or do we shift the goalposts when we think fit?

Hello Roger,
This is beautiful old tree and love the huge girth and how is twist around the trunk.

I wanted to share a misunderstanding I had for most of my childhood into my adulthood I had from how my late father explained to me and I perceived regarding Catholics.

My father's first marriage was to Grace woman of catholic faith. Dad was methodist so they agreed that they would bring their 3 sons up as Anglican
so there would be no arguments about religion.

Two or 3 years after Grace passed away he married my mother who was brought up as Anglican so my elder 3 siblings and I were brought up as Anglican.

My father's eldest son Mervyn met Molly, got engaged and Dad requested to Mervyn that he had no problems that Molly was catholic, but would he please not convert over as his late mother and Dad had agreed about their respective churches.

After several years of marriage Mervyn did convert over to catholic and was very pious and kind of rubbed Dad's nose in, he would come back from attending church rubbing his hands together and saying how good he felt after attending the service - like Mervyn was closer to God than Dad. Dad had a quiet faith and Mervyn's attitude hurt Dad. Dad always said that you did not have to attend church to believe in God or have a relationship.

I did not know the whole story growing up I only knew that Dad seemed to have a dislike for catholics so seemed to have a hidden radar going on as I never went out with any catholic boys or have catholic friends.

Refreshing a sentence I said in your other Topic - Communication with our children is vital for understanding. I only wish my parents communicated better with me.

Amanda

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/19/2010 3:24:40 PM
Quote:

Hello Roger,
This is beautiful old tree and love the huge girth and how is twist around the trunk.

I wanted to share a misunderstanding I had for most of my childhood into my adulthood I had from how my late father explained to me and I perceived regarding Catholics.

My father's first marriage was to Grace woman of catholic faith. Dad was methodist so they agreed that they would bring their 3 sons up as Anglican
so there would be no arguments about religion.

Two or 3 years after Grace passed away he married my mother who was brought up as Anglican so my elder 3 siblings and I were brought up as Anglican.

My father's eldest son Mervyn met Molly, got engaged and Dad requested to Mervyn that he had no problems that Molly was catholic, but would he please not convert over as his late mother and Dad had agreed about their respective churches.

After several years of marriage Mervyn did convert over to catholic and was very pious and kind of rubbed Dad's nose in, he would come back from attending church rubbing his hands together and saying how good he felt after attending the service - like Mervyn was closer to God than Dad. Dad had a quiet faith and Mervyn's attitude hurt Dad. Dad always said that you did not have to attend church to believe in God or have a relationship.

I did not know the whole story growing up I only knew that Dad seemed to have a dislike for catholics so seemed to have a hidden radar going on as I never went out with any catholic boys or have catholic friends.

Refreshing a sentence I said in your other Topic - Communication with our children is vital for understanding. I only wish my parents communicated better with me.

Amanda

Amanda,

Thanks for your experiences. Communication is not just important it is essential in a fair age.

Your experience is very common. Within Scotland and Ireland the whole Catholic/Protestant thing is still alive. In England it has not been strongly relevant for many years.

What I was also trying to say was that we get ver smug about our superior knowledge compared with those from the 16th Century but when it comes to happiness with the basics of life and a short lifespan we have lost much.

I am convinced, the longer I live, that we are not at the mercy of a vengeful God. I think that it was a tool for control of the masses, however, I am sure that there is more than this mortal existence. I fear that we can only guess though.

I am in a humble mood because I am sure that I need to learn from our ancestors who had simpler but harder lives.

Roger

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!